Remakes: Are there too many right now?

Anacybele

This topic stemmed from a thread in the SSB board, and since it's not really related to SSB, I felt it needed its own thread.

Personally, I think the amount of remakes being made right now is ridiculous. We've gotten or will be getting remakes from Zelda, FE, Pokemon, and Star Fox fairly recently (Star Fox 3D was a remake, right?). And a lot of new games we've gotten play heavily off of old ones, like Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (sequel to A Link to the Past) and FE: Awakening (takes place in the same world as Marth's games and makes a lot of references to them). Hell, even Pokemon X/Y does a lot of Kanto-glorifying, which is something fans have complained about.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of these games, but I'm honestly ready for more entirely brand new stuff. I want Nintendo to take a break already from milking their old games. If they want to bring them back, a release on the VC is just fine.

Edited by Anacybele

Yes. Although I'd love to see remakes of certain games (old FE games, for one), we've had FE11 & 12 and Nintendo are already putting out enough remakes as is.

New stuff pls.

Give me a Jugdral remake and make my decade.

For other games, I do feel remakes are getting into a norm. Many have been well made (Resident Evil comes to mind) but now I'm seeing them coming where they are not needed.

FE13 isn't really a remake unlike 11 and 12.

Probably the mainreason is that younger people could not play the "classics" like Super Mario 64, Starfox 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time or Kirby Super Star for the older videogame consoles, because they don't exist anymore. So they are released for the latest consoles again.

Good thing, so I could enjoy FE11 and 12!

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

I never said Awakening was a remake. But it uses a lot of elements from older games. That's a thing I'm getting a little tired of too.

I like remakes, and they generally don't affect the release of other games in the series (fe11 and fe12 were exceptions, from a niche series)
so, no. GIVE ME A MAJORA'S MASK AND A FE6/7 REMAKE, NINTENDO (well, I can't complain about them, they are already giving us ORAS).

Edited by First Impressions of Earth

I'm glad about Ruby and Sapphire remakes and I like remakes in general, but I totally agree with this:

I like remakes, and they generally don't affect the release of other games in the series (fe11 and fe12 were exceptions, from a niche series)
so, no. GIVE ME A MAJORA'S MASK AND A FE6/7 REMAKE, NINTENDO (well, I can't complain about them, they are already giving us ORAS).

It shouldn't affect releases of other games (Pokemon does it right imo with 3 major games between Gen II and III remakes) - and I totally agree on MM remake, although I want a new 3D Zelda before (we just got WW remake after all).

In addition, if they're too lazy for a full new game, at least give me a F-Zero GX remake for the Wii U ;_;

Got to say, I like them. These remakes are a nice opportunity for players to revisit some classics and for developers to earn some easy money on the side. So when they are done well, I think everyone gets something out of it.

A remake shouldn't exist if the game is already perfect. One example here is Star Fox 64 3D. Really, all it was is was a complete remake of Star Fox 64, with no real differences, other than a completely milked down multiplayer.

Simply put, if a remake can't make the original game better, then it shouldn't exist at all.

Despite this, I believe after Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby come out, Nintendo should take a break from remakes, since they're releasing quite a lot of them.

Star Fox 64 3D is an important remake. The graphics are delightful and much much better than the N64, and more importantly it's portable, which the original game wasn't. Same with OoT3D.

I'll agree SF643D should've had more content and a better multiplayer, but it isn't a bad remake at all.

With the poor state of N64 emulation at present, I'm all for remakes of N64 games, including Majora's Mask, or ports to VC (which might motivate me to get a Nintendo console after all).

However, I won't buy an ORAS game unless they give us some tasty extras (in the form of Move Tutors and Pokémon availablility). I don't have any interest in revisiting Hoenn.

Edited by Bird Jesus

Star Fox 64 3D is an important remake. The graphics are delightful and much much better than the N64, and more importantly it's portable, which the original game wasn't. Same with OoT3D.

I'll agree SF643D should've had more content and a better multiplayer, but it isn't a bad remake at all.

With the poor state of N64 emulation at present, I'm all for remakes of N64 games, including Majora's Mask.

I suppose that it was just my Nostalgia talking. (And also most likely because I have copies of both SF64 and SF643D.) I overlooked the portable argument.

If anything, I'll say Nintendo doesn't make enough remakes. I mean, let's look at the remakes released in the past few years.

- Super Mario 64 DS

- Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

- Diddy Kong Racing DS

- Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

- Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem

- Star Fox 64 3D

- The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

- The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD

- Pokémon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire (Upcoming)

Of all those games, the majority added tons of new features or were reimagined entirely they might as well count as new. The only ones I'd say didn't were Star Fox and Wind Waker. But Star Fox I can forgive because it prevented the series from dying since it was at the verge of being forgotten at the time. That's another thing remakes do, help keep the series around while the next new game is made.

A Link Between Worlds doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in this thread. It was probably the biggest breath of fresh air the series had since Twilight Princess. Definitely one of the best Zeldas ever.

I suppose that it was just my Nostalgia talking. (And also most likely because I have copies of both SF64 and SF643D.) I overlooked the portable argument.

I also have copies of both games. I see most people hating on SF643D because of silly things like voice acting. The problem is that they couldn't reuse the old voices anyway, and the new ones are good enough. But Star Fox 64 was one of the best games Nintendo ever made and I don't see how they could further improve upon it. They did add a hiscore mode which is very convenient since it allows you to play every level on the spot for hiscores, though. The complaint about poor multiplayer is valid, but, from what I've seen, they added some new cool stuff, like new items (not just laser and bomb), which allow for new strategies.

It depends on exactly what you mean by recently... Star Fox 3d was made 3 years ago. I know there hasn't been a new game since then, but it's not too recent anymore. But the FE remakes are defintely outdated and not recent. FE 11 wasn't really a remake for me though. It was a new game since it had never released outside of Japan. I also never got around to Gen III in Pokemon, so I glad about those remakes too.And I'd rather have had the WW HD than nothing. It's a long wait between Zelda games. Although, I didn't get the WW HD. Honestly, it seems like they're working anyway at the new games regardless of remakes so it doesn't bother me.

And to be fair, they have done well with their remakes. They usually add new features and update the style/graphics enough for it to feel like a newer game and be worth a buy if you love that series/game. I guess the solution is don't be bothered by remakes. If you don't wanna get them, then don't get them. :P I guess I'm not bothered too much by them cause many are new games for me.

Yeah, I do admit that the remakes are doing well. I guess I'm just being too bothered by them. I would still prefer a brand new Zelda right now over a Majora's Mask remake though (especially since I didn't even like MM), or a brand new FE over a remake of FE2, 4, 5, or 6.

Yes I do want a new Zelda and I believe the WiiU Zelda will be an entirely new one. I'll also be happy later for a MM remake though. It's my favorite Zelda as of now.

I would also much rather have a new FE than a remake. Unless the remake is something super special like a collection of many of the games. And the games were updated both graphically and mechanically. That was one of the most disappoint parts of FE 11 as a remake. After FE 10 and even the GBA games, it felt like a major step backwards because they got rid of so many mechanics. Obviously the original game didn't have them, but there's a reason many new mechanics stayed around and were created in the first place; which was to improve the game.

Majora's Mask is my most favorite game... So I would like them to make a remake... (For a game that was released 14 years ago...)

The only thing I hate with remakes is when they decrease difficulty... (I don't want them to change the Great Bay Temple)

Edited by Naughx

Movies keep getting rereleases and remasters, so why can't video games too?

Depends on copyright. :( I hated that the Perfect Dark remaster was on Xbox instead of a Nintendo console, but PD is a Rare franchise so they would have to release on Xbox.

I would rather a new FE than a remake as well but if a remake is what it has to be, then I want it to be 4/5.

A big reason being that 4/5 was never released outside of here, and well that's a whole bunch of characters new Awakening players didn't know what to do with. People know Roy from Melee. Nobody knows Sigurd.

Nintendo gets to make some of the gameplay elements up to date. At least in Binding Blade you don't have to manually calculate damage numbers.

Plus Genealogy is multi-generation. And you know that system is just begging for the Awakening treatment.

I'm pretty annoyed at the Zelda Majoras Mask demand. That's about it though.

That's because people usually put Ocarina and Majora in a pair and they want both halves of the "N64 duo".

Remakes are cool as long as they aren't more numerous than original games themselves.

Edited by Alertcircuit

Really, all it was is was a complete remake of Star Fox 64, with no real differences, other than a completely milked down multiplayer.

Thing is, the multiplayer in the original game wasn't all that good to begin with, though. In fact, it was very basic, especially when compared to the multiplayer in Star Fox: Assault.

Edited by NinjaMonkey