What if FE Was Here From the Beginning?

The Geek

What do you guys think the FE fandom would be like if the games had been released in the west from the very beginning?

Would FE1 be considered a classic RPG alongside Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy I?

Would FE3 and 4 be considered masterpieces alongside Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI?

Would Gaiden be hated? Would people have different opinions of the later games?

What do you guys think?

I think incest is gross and disturbing, so I wouldn't mind any censorship of it.

Anyway, if the series had been released out here from the beginning, I would have gotten into it much earlier, that's for sure. FE4 has had my interest since I first learned of it. Sigurd seems awesome, the story seems awesome, and it has an interesting marriage mechanic. I would have wanted to get this game almost as bad as I wanted Path of Radiance after reading about it, methinks. I currently hope FE4 gets remade/localized in English for the VC more than any other Japan-only title.

FE3 would be known as the improved classic RPG from FE1, and FE4 would be known for as a classic, no doubt.

The series would also be popular enough to have had Sigurd in the first Smash like originally planned.

I haven't played FE2, but I think it's forgotten for a reason, and might be that sequel no one cares about. I've seen it done before, even if the game is good.

I currently hope FE4 gets remade/localized in English for the VC more than any other Japan-only title.

Edited by Duke of Dozel

I think incest is gross and disturbing, so I wouldn't mind any censorship of it.

Anyway, if the series had been released out here from the beginning, I would have gotten into it much earlier, that's for sure. FE4 has had my interest since I first learned of it. Sigurd seems awesome, the story seems awesome, and it has an interesting marriage mechanic. I would have wanted to get this game almost as bad as I wanted Path of Radiance after reading about it, methinks. I currently hope FE4 gets remade/localized in English for the VC more than any other Japan-only title.

It's not incest if it's wincest.

Okay, maybe it is. But at least it's win. Right?

Right.

I think FE 1 would've probably been at least semi popular, FE 2 going the way of Zelda II, unsure how people would've liked FE 3, 4, 5 and 6. Thank god for Super Smash Brothers Melee, that's all I gotta say. :D

I generally agree with what most people are saying. Though I'm guessing that Fire Emblem would be eclipsed by Dragon Warrior/Quest games overseas, seeing how Fire Emblem is quite hard to learn compared to most RPGs, and the perma-death would turn a lot of gamers away from the series.

The series would also be popular enough to have had Sigurd in the first Smash like originally planned.

I hope you realize that Sigurd being planned for the first Smash Bros. is nothing more than a lie created by Jugdral/Sigurd fanboys.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn025.html

Sakurai’s favorite Fire Emblem character (at least, at the time this statement was written) is Nabarl. The only reason I’m putting this here is because a lot of people believed that his favorite character was Sigurd (or Siglud), the protagonist of the fourth Fire Emblem, and along with that idea came the rumor that he was planned for SSB64 or something. Neither of those are true.

The only characters that were actually planned but cancelled for SSB64 were Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede.

Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo were planned for the game, but had to be cut (presumably because of time or space limitations).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html

So all those Peach and Meowth rumours were also fake.

I think FE 1 would've probably been at least semi popular, FE 2 going the way of Zelda II, unsure how people would've liked FE 3, 4, 5 and 6. Thank god for Super Smash Brothers Melee, that's all I gotta say. :D

This, although I think FE4 would get some attention.

I hope you realize that Sigurd being planned for the first Smash Bros. is nothing more than a lie created by Jugdral/Sigurd fanboys.

Thanks for clarifying it before I told everyone.

I generally agree with what most people are saying. Though I'm guessing that Fire Emblem would be eclipsed by Dragon Warrior/Quest games overseas, seeing how Fire Emblem is quite hard to learn compared to most RPGs, and the perma-death would turn a lot of gamers away from the series.

Back then, games weren't easy either. Although I'm sure it wouldn't be a blockbuster, I think the games would lean more towards cult classic-zone.

I could see FE3 and FE4 becoming cult favorites like Earthbound, but would they have become as iconic as Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger? Of that I'm not so sure. As for FE5, it seems unlikely that it would have been released outside of Japan even if Fire Emblem had been localized from the start.

I can't really see FE4 being localized in 1996 with all the incest issues (even though they weren't endorsing any practices of such and they were originally planning to address the issues in the planned 3rd part of the game) since it would have required from them heavy alteration of the game's narrative. I think FE5 would've also had some controversial elements on top of it being released so late in the SNES' life cycle.

When FE2 is in question, I do agree that it would probably be treated like Zelda 2 and such. I prefer it to the original in almost every regard but I guess that would be kind of subjective (as with Zelda 2).

Edited by Topazd255

In fact, FE4 was released the very same year as the N64. The incest stuff should be no issue, though. A good dose of some old fashioned dialog censorship should do the trick just fine. I would expect that even the churches and the crosses on the knights would cause more trouble.

Edited by BrightBow

As an aside, what about the child hunts? Wouldn't those wind up being rather controversial to the point that they'd change those as well?

Personally, I wouldn't be satisfied with a VC release of FE4 in the least...

As an aside, what about the child hunts? Wouldn't those wind up being rather controversial to the point that they'd change those as well?

Personally, I wouldn't be satisfied with a VC release of FE4 in the least...

I mean they could always get it rated T or M but I don't know if Nintendo really likes having its first party titles get rated M.

I don't get the whole fe4 on vc thing either. We have a fan translation that's super easy to get.

Some people would like to play it with a controller.

Playing emulated games on a PC with a controller is extremely easy. Though it is understandable if emulation in general cripples someone's enjoyment of a game.

I don't think an official release in any given form would be a bad thing at all. As long as they wouldn't censor any major plot points (as gross as they may be, they really do contribute to the game's disturbingness (if that's a word) value, which is a major factor when considering the impact of the game) I would purchase a VC release happily even if I have played though the game with the translation patch. IMO more localized FE games can never be a bad thing.

Edited by Topazd255

I don't get the whole fe4 on vc thing either. We have a fan translation that's super easy to get.

And some people prefer not to emulate. Like me.

Well, I see where Ana is coming from, even if it doesn't apply to me. Honestly, my comment on wanting an actual remake as opposed to a VC release stemmed more from the fact that I think a lot of FE4's mechanics are stupid and kill its playability, to be blunt.

Well, I see where Ana is coming from, even if it doesn't apply to me. Honestly, my comment on wanting an actual remake as opposed to a VC release stemmed more from the fact that I think a lot of FE4's mechanics are stupid and kill its playability, to be blunt.

Individual funds, for example can get a little annoying.

Genealogy would loose a lot of what makes the plot so strong if the incest was censored. At least in my opinion. It's not like it advocate incest. It's pretty much anti incest given the (half) incestuous child is basically Satan-Hitler with pass times that out do Joffrey in the evil asshole department.

And there was no way we were ever going to get Thracia with it being released when the Gamecube was already in development. With translation and shipping we definitely wouldn't have seen it until well into the millennium, for a console already four years dead.

Satellaview wasn't released out here either so Akaneia Saga likely wouldn't have happened either. Really the only SNES game we had much hope of seeing was Mystery of the Emblem.

Edited by Jotari