Could use some Marriage tips

daynehn

Hey guys and gals, new to the forum and was hoping for some opinions on some marriages. This is what I'm thinking so far:

Chrom-(F)mu

Sumia-freddy or henry

Tharja-gaius

Donnel-sully or nowi

Lissa-ricken

Maribelle- henry or vaike

Cordelia-lon'qu

Cherche-stahl or Gregor

Miriel-kellam?

Olivia-libra or virion maybe henry

Panne-dont care too much, libra or Gregor or whomever not used.

Anyways that's kind of what my rough plan is. Would love some tips or pointers.

Cheers!

There's a pairing thread, you know. You'd definitely have better luck there. :)

It would also be good to know whether you're basing this off of supports or optimization. Optimization, I don't have a lot of knowledge on, but I can give you a bunch of ideas on which supports I think are good.

Edited by Anacybele

Shoot, sorry about that. I should have explored the forum more before I posted here. (doing this from my phone, not the best).

Well this is my second playthrough and wanted to use the kids as much possible. Aiming for as much gale force inherited as possible and tough children preferred over well paired 1st Gen.

Oh, in that case, all I can tell you is that you could've maximized your Galeforce units if you did a male Avatar. As I've heard that Donnel x Sully, Gaius x Tharja, and Male Avatar x Nowi is the way to go for it.

This is your first playthrough? Then pair the characters in any way you like. It's impossible to permanently screw over any units in this game thanks to infinite grinding, so just do the pairings you like the most and just enjoy the first playthrough. You can worry about optimal pairings later.

It's my second playthrough and I barely used the kids the first one. I did male avatar first one and female to marry Chrom this go. I wanted my Luciana to be a beast, she can do any class when daughter of my avatar right? As for missing out on the one gale force who would you suggest doesn't get it. I'm thinking of Nah missing it(the manakete will be missed though) thanks for help, guys.

Edited by daynehn

As stated before, there is a pairing thread chock full of info. It helped me out a ton.

I'll list my preferred pairings for the hell of it anyway.

Chrom x Sumia

Olivia x Freddy

Lissa x Ricken

Maribelle x Virion

Miriel x Gregor

Sully x Gaius

Tharja x Donnel

Nah x Vaike

Cordelia x Lon'qu

Cherche x Stahl

FeMU x Virion!Brady - Mag focused Morgan

FeMU x Freddy!Inigo - Str focused Morgan

MaMU x Chrom!Cynthia - Aether Morgan. I like this couple so that Laurent can marry Lucina for VVDS+.

Advantages from FeMU!Lucina to any other Lucina are:

1) Better Mag mod (if you hadn't chosen Mag asset then it wouldn't exist).

2) Armsthrift & Vantage+Vengeance from FeMU's all-class all-skill access for VVDS+ building.

Lucina's best role is a mixture of a VVDS+ Tank's leader/supporter and a Galeforce hit & away leader.

Q: What is VVDS+?

A: It's Vantage + Vengeance + DualStrike+ (+ leader's Celica's Gale & supporter's Brave weapon / Celica's Gale). It's an invincible building. Almost all enemies died before their 1st attack when they approached the VVDS+ pair in enemy phase.

This building is Chrom & Lucina exclusive.

If Lucina has Vantage+Vengeance, she can be either leader or supporter. If Lucina doesn't have them, she is a supporter & she needs to marry a husband who has VV + Tomeclass (usually Laurent, Libra!Owain or Libra!Inigo is also OK) for being the leader.

Without VVDS+ building, Lucina is just an ordinary Galeforce + Aether/Luna hit & away leader, since everyone is paired for achieving this set.

------------

Sumia-freddy or henry

Henry > Fred because

1) Magical is more efficient than physical in Apo.

2) Henry gives Cynthia more Mag mod than Fred.

Donnel-sully or nowi

Sully >> Nowi because Donnel!Nowi has no procs.

Maribelle- henry or vaike

Generally neither of them because

1) Sumia has Henry's priority.

2) Vaike hurts Brady's Mag the most & magical > physical in Apo.

In this case Maribelle should pick up a husband with Mag+0 or above, probably Virion or Libra.

Cherche-stahl or Gregor

Miriel-kellam?

Olivia-libra or virion maybe henry

If FeMU!Lucina supports, she needs to marry a husband who has VV for being the VVDS+ leader.

Only Stahl/Lon'qu/Gregor!Laurent & Libra!Owain/Inigo can fit for that rule.

VVDS+ leader doesn't need Galeforce because Galeforce is conflicting other stat-boosting skills which affects VVDS+ total output

. Without an output threshold, the VVDS+ pair cannot survive against some principal bosses.

So Stahl/Gregor!Laurent > Libra!Inigo.

Gregor!Laurent has Armsthrift so Gregor > Stahl. Armsthrift is also conflicting stat-boosting skills but it provides 0 weapon consuming in Apo, which is important in Supreme Emblem endless farming.

So the best recommendation will be:

Cherche x Stahl

Miriel x Gregor

Olivia x Kellam or Libra

FeMU!Lucina x Gregor!Laurent

* Kellam gives Luna, Libra gives Vengeance & in-game Nosferatu Tank building, Luna > Vengeance for hit & away's convenience.

Panne: Probably Fred.

Edited by MelonGx

Thank you guys for the advice. Seems like I could spent countless hours figuring out my favourite pairing system. Gave me lots to consider. I look forward to testing out different pairs and adding my experience to others.

Cheers!

If you only care about the maximum number of Galeforce units possible, use Avatar x Nowi, Sully x Donnel and Tharja x Gaius.

You don't mention whether you're doing psotgame (DLC) or just using the children for the main story, but getting all of them is fairly useless for the latter. Unless you're doing postgame (and even if you are) I'd recommend several playthroughs with several pairings each to get a better feel of how children work before making a big plan (this is your second playthrough of the game, but still your first one with children...).

If you only care about the maximum number of Galeforce units possible, use Avatar x Nowi, Sully x Donnel and Tharja x Gaius.

You don't mention whether you're doing psotgame (DLC) or just using the children for the main story, but getting all of them is fairly useless for the latter. Unless you're doing postgame (and even if you are) I'd recommend several playthroughs with several pairings each to get a better feel of how children work before making a big plan (this is your second playthrough of the game, but still your first one with children...).

Bold: Very, very good advice. Take heed, OP. I didn't fully understand the mechanic until the end of my 3rd playthrough. If you do enough digging, you could even find a good pairing that isn't talked about often (like Vaike!Severa and Ricken!Inigo).

Yeah you two are right, perhaps I was too focused on trying to make a 'perfect' pair. It's been a while since I played Awakening so wanted to do a real solid playthrough. I'll just play through and pair who I like, I'll avoid the bad pairs, and get most the gale force squad going. The tip on the VVDS+ was awesome, thank you sir, and thanks to the rest of ya.

Well, you see, in marriage, you want to have a backhistory with this girl, that way you won't come off a-Oh, wait, you're talking about FEA marriage...well then.

Anyways, I would reccomend Ricken x Miriel, Laurent is a vicious magic sweeper on my team. Kellam x Nowi seems popular, and Lon'qu x Cordelia/Lissa is downright TERRYFING.

Frederick x Panne made Yarne (for me, at least) a deadly sweeper, hitting 63 x2 a good deal of the time. Oh man, that guy ain't goin extinct any time soon XD

Vaike x Cherche is also really good, but pretty much MU x Anyone is awesome.

Inigio is another very powerful unit, so be sure he gets a good father. For me, it was Vaike!Inigo...he's been doing good, but I have much better units with me, like The Vaike himself. Kellam x Sully is another popular one, but I never got to try it out, cuz the game made Chrom x Sully. I couldn't really do anything about it, I didn't know that would happen. So at least Kjelle gets Aether, which is pretty cool.

Just don't make the same mistake I did and NOT marry Sumia to anyone...she's so picky!

Also, Henry x Tharja. You're welcome.

Hope this helps :)

Awakening is a game with massive grinding, outside of Apo/Lunatic+ anyone can sweep anything if you give them enough exp/supports. Optimizing children isn't about getting children that are strong, it's about getting children that are as strong as they can be. Generally, this involves avoiding class overlap, optimizing Galeforce, making sure everyone has a proc...

Ricken!Laurent lacks both Vantage and Galeforce and is stuck as a hard support, and also has Mage overlap. Kellam!Nah has no advantages over other Nahs unless making 3rd Gen Morgan. Lon'qu!Owain has Myrmidon overlap and no proc. Fred!Yarne and Vaike!Gerome are good if Hitrate isn't a concern. Vaike!Inigo has Barbarian/Assassin/Hero overlap and no proc. Kellam!Kjelle has Knight overlap and no Galeforce. Henry!Noire has no Galeforce and Dark Mage overlap (the worst class to have overlap in bar Pegasus Knight).

The list of generally good pairings is:

Avatar x Chrom/Lucina > 2nd gen with Galeforce > 2nd gen without Galeforce > Sumia/Cordelia/Nowi/Aversa > everyone else.

Chrom x Sumia/Maribelle/Olivia

Lissa x Ricken/Libra

Sully x Donnel

Miriel x Lon'qu/Gregor/Stahl

Sumia x Chrom/Henry

Maribelle x Lon'qu/Virion/Ricken/Libra/Henry

Panne x Fred/Stahl/Virion/Lon'qu

Cordelia x Lon'qu/Vaike/Ricken/Virion/Stahl

Nowi x Avatar/Virion/Henry/Vaike/Gregor/Ricken/Stahl

Tharja x Gaius

Olivia x Chrom/Stahl/Ricken/Libra/Fred

Cherche x Vaike/Gregor/Henry/Stahl

Yoshi, that list of good pairings is very helpful. I think I have the setup I'll be going with. Very similar to most the good pairings anyways. Should keep me happy.

ChromxFmu

SumiaxFred

Donnelxsully

Stahlxcordelia

TharjaxGaius

NowixVaike

OliviaxLibra

Cherchexhenry

Maribellexlon'qu

Lissa-ricken

Miriel-gregor

Should be able to get lots of gale force going on, and some Sol and luna. I might change a few of thesw, but I like it as a basis anyways.

Thanks again.

You left out Panne. :P I've heard that Frederick is her best husband, so he should go to her. If you really want to do Chrom x Avatar, then Sumia's best option is Henry.

Edited by Anacybele

I've heard that Frederick is her best husband, so he should go to her.

Please note, I do not mean anything condescending by this.

Hearsay is not a way to recommend pairings to someone that is trying decide something for a playthrough.

Please note, I do not mean anything condescending by this.

Hearsay is not a way to recommend pairings to someone that is trying decide something for a playthrough.

Please note, I've seen people all over this board recommend Frederick x Panne. I'm not just pulling crap out of my ass. And I can see that you're not trying to be condescending.

Please note, I've seen people all over this board recommend Frederick x Panne. I'm not just pulling crap out of my ass. And I can see that you're not trying to be condescending.

I think what Rey is trying to say is that even if people all over this board recommend Frederick/Panne, they're people who've done the pairing, and because they have done the pairing they can explain exactly what is good about it instead of just saying "other people say it's a good pairing". There's a reason I don't give any pairing advice even though I've done every pairing at least once - because I don't care about optimal children, I just experiment and use whoever I feel like using. Therefore, I don't really know which pairs are "good" or what makes them "good".

Oh. Then he should've said so. My mistake then. Yeah, if you want an explanation on why it's good, someone that's actually done the pairing is better off recommending it.

I've never done Fred x Panne either, but I can still explain why it's good.

Yarne is a male unit without Galeforce and with physical mods, which means that in an optimal team he'll be hard support (read: never be up front). Berserker is generally regarded as the best physical hard support because it has 50 Str and gives +10 Str and +8 Spd when paired up. All it requires are LB/Agg/Axefaire, which all Berserkers inherently have access to, and Yarne has natural Berserker so... He's kind of complete with any father. A fatherless Yarne would put All+2 and either Str+2 or Swordbreaker (inherited from Panne) in the last two slots. All Yarne really needs from his dad are more mods, which are exactly what Fred gives: +Str/Skl (the only important stats for hard support) and Yarne doesn't care about Fred's -Spd because Spd does nothing in the back. Fred also gives Wyvern, so Yarne isn't stuck with whichever of Panne's Str+2/Swordbreaker she passed down.

It's still important to note that just because Fred!Yarne is good doesn't mean it's the best. Yarne isn't perfect- Berserkers have low Skl and are axelocked, which means low Hit (even against non-swords). They like +Hit skills, but Fred doesn't give anything better than Hit+10 skills. Hence why the likes of Stahl/Virion are also on Yarne's list: they provide Hit+20, as well as Bowfaire if you're willing to sacrifice some Str on Yarne and a lot of Spd on the lead unit in exchange for a Bowfaire Warrior which generally doesn't have Hitrate problems.

The thing about Stahl is though, is that he's pretty much everyone's best dad. His class set is awesome which means he can give access to an awesome skillset and he's got good mods. In fact, I think he's considered to be the best dad in the game. So much for being average. lol

Anyway, there may still be kids that make better use of him than others though.

You can always support grind and leave the pairs you want to try at S-rankable state and copy the save file to an unused one and try things out. That way, you don't have to play through the game as many times unless you want to.

The thing about Stahl is though, is that he's pretty much everyone's best dad. His class set is awesome which means he can give access to an awesome skillset and he's got good mods. In fact, I think he's considered to be the best dad in the game. So much for being average. lol

Anyway, there may still be kids that make better use of him than others though.

This isn't quite true- Stahl is a very good candidate for a lot of children (Laurent, Yarne, Severa, Nah, Inigo, and Gerome) but he isn't actually in the clear as #1 for any of them. The closest he gets is Gerome, where he offers an advantage none of Gerome's other potential parents do (highest Str/Skl Bowfaire Warrior for superior Hit). He's Laurent's weakest (in terms of Mag/Skl) Vantage parent, doesn't give Yarne Wyvern, Severa gets no Wyvern, no Tomefaire and no uber Spd mod, Nah isn't really complete with anyone bar Avatar, Inigo has dozens of builds).

Basically he's good as universal filler for patching up the loose ends in a team, but he doesn't actually have anything nobody else does. Many of my team setups don't even use him simply because there's usually someone better suited for the job.

If there's anyone who can actually be called "best dad in the game", I'm voting for Virion. Yes, Virion. It took me a while to realize how to use him, but it really payed off in the end.

If there's anyone who can actually be called "best dad in the game", I'm voting for Virion. Yes, Virion. It took me a while to realize how to use him, but it really payed off in the end.

If you said this a year ago you would be banned from this site. Lol.

Also, Freddy x Panne is good, but I rather put Freddy on Inigo since in my setup of Ricken, Chrom, and Stahl are all taken. Freddy produces a monster Inigo. He's not god tier like the 3 dads I mentioned but man he is solid. He doesn't even mind the speed penalty and gets +3 Strength and +4 Skill out of the deal. It's probably my personal favorite Inigo.

I just stick Kellam on Yarne because eh, it's Yarne. I know I'm a horrible person.

Edited by Ownagepuffs