Toa's Sprites

Toa

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ehe Marxxx :3 I'm really excited to learn more about him, I love his design.

For this sprite, I think it's shaping up to be a nice one, although pretty direct in reference to the portrait. It feels a bit off, I think what's off to me is like, his mouth is really wide, his eyebrow is really long and kinda too close to the nose. I also think his eyes are pretty big for how squinty he looks in everything. The nose is a bit weird as L95 mentioned, I think the nose bridge could be a bit longer maybe? :O Pls keep working on this <3

That's a fast spriting.

Is it a trace and pixel?

Yeah, traced pretty hard. Once we get some better reference material I might re-sprite him in a different pose.

Ehe Marxxx :3 I'm really excited to learn more about him, I love his design.

For this sprite, I think it's shaping up to be a nice one, although pretty direct in reference to the portrait. It feels a bit off, I think what's off to me is like, his mouth is really wide, his eyebrow is really long and kinda too close to the nose. I also think his eyes are pretty big for how squinty he looks in everything. The nose is a bit weird as L95 mentioned, I think the nose bridge could be a bit longer maybe? :O Pls keep working on this <3

I like Max more since we already have too many Marks :P His design is totally awesome! Definitely my favorite thing from the trailer, he might become my favorite character from appearance alone, lol.

418VXaP.png

I worked a bit more on his face and I think it looks better now(definitely expression wise), but I'm not sure about his eyes :/ Maybe it's just me.

Jumping on board the battle sprite hype train

ssAxMyb.gif

WIP animation, I think I might've added too much blur to his sword in places.

Still working on Max a bit, but it's slow.

@ Nih, I use my trackpad for 90% of my spriting lol :P

Ooooh... Me gusta.

Got some proportion issues ATM though. Like his arms seem really skinny, and shortish... Probably could do with shifting the shoulders up two pixels or so as well.

Maybe make the sword a pixel or two skinnier as well? Right now just looks a Lil fat and awkward... Obviously fantasy sword but still doesn't look either balanced or quite right in a visual appeal way.

...or give it a different angle at the end of the animation, as current one looks odd.

Movement is a definite step in the right direction though! :D

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Moar battle sprites, they're lots of fun!

ck9c6X0.png

Rebecca is for our very own battle spriting competition. The other two are nation bent Lyn and Eliwood, Western!Lyn and Eastern!Eliwood. They're for a comp over on dA it's become my personal goal to enter and win everything. I can only pick one to submit, so which one do you guys like more?

Lyn looks cleaner and more proportional... Eliwood is more interesting personally but you'll want to fix the proportions make it a bit cleaner... Maybe some longer hair or a Ponytail for Eli? ...or a Bandanna instead of his usual circlet?

...is he missing an arm or are both supposed to be holding his sword? ...right now its hard to tell, doesn't read quite right.

A pony tail would be pretty cool! I wasn't sure what to do with his hair so I just left it normal. I'll look into fixing Eliwood up a bit, proportions get screwed up pretty easy with these poses.(at least when I do them)

Edited by Toa

Baldur is right, Lyn looks great!

Just a tip on Rebecca, you might want to make her proportions a little more similar to Lyn... Like keep your current height but the legs/waist and body might want a tweak to clean it up.

(Oh noes, giving advice to the competition :0 )

...remember you can tweak your entry all the way up to the deadline as long as you resubmit in your original submission post. :D

Lol, Errant, did you decide to reply to every thread on page 1 or something? not that I'm complaining about activity around here

Thanks for the suggestions, and now: Edits, Edits everywhere!

nc4zC8Y.pngrebecca got slimmed up a bit

g2poWzo.png

Here's some Eliwoods. The far left is the original, the middle he has one hand on the sword and the other out in front and long hair while in the last one he has both hands on the sword and a ponytail. I'm partial to the last one.

tm49kHJ.png

Trying to redux an old dreadfighter sprite(new<-old), but it's not going great. Poses are hard.

Edited by Toa

Pretty much... Its all part of my secret plan to take over the spriting forums in a convoluted plan for world domination!

...I mean, I like sprites? :D

>.> <.<

;)

...probably just have too much time on my hands on my day off tbh.

But I also feel like sometimes people's threads are a little starved for comments, so... Yeah, tried to give some decent commentary in some active threads I liked, or advice to newish spriters to try to encourage the community... I guess.

----

Anyways, back to comments. Rebecca looks a bit better, Eliwood still is interesting but still doesn't quite read properly where his hands/arms are. The new pose with one arm following the sword is kinda cool, but the new two handed pose still looks like he is missing an arm rather than having both together holding it.

...part of the issue I think is the shading is really dark making it hard to tell what is going on, some lighter shades or colors in there would break it up, make it less muddled.

The skin tones around the faces are interesting as well, but kind of make the face undefined/bloated looking. A darker outline or just the darkest skin tone around the face like on the original Lyn sprite would help to define the shape of the face better on Eliwood and Rebecca.

I would recommend looking at the Eliwood Lord pose before he starts one of his stabs... The crit maybe? Its a similar pose in some way just with the back facing away from the screen rather than chest face screen as in yours.

EDIT: Here is the pose I mean.

Eliwood%20pose_zpscbzzhxuw.png

Dread fighter looks promising. Try to give the arms a shape/size/length to them to avoid looking short or sticklike.

I look forward to seeing the finished product! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rzmllMU.png

Meh FC. I recorded this one, but it isn't great so I don't really want to put a video together :P

This gives me an excuse to make a WIP dump though!

JhuSwKW.png

The WIPs, from left to right:

Big bad, I actually have a design for his body, but can't seem to get it to look right.

Count Mondego from the Count of Monte Cristo.

Girl whose hair I can't get right.

Super old WIP that I can't seem to get right.

Redux of one of my old splices that is going slow. (his head looks is so tall lol)

Comment on anything! I need to make some progress!

Edited by Toa

Nice start. Any chance to see the design for the big bad? :3

There's not much to comment on yet too I think, seems like an interesting cast.

MehFC has some angling issues (eyes are straight on, chest and head are downwards, pauldrons are doing their own thing) and the neck seems oddly connected to a point far behind his ear. Also lips don't seem shaded quite yet. (Gonna give editing this one a shot if that's ok.)

The lines you have drawn out for the big bad seem like they're not really shaping the neck, not really sure where you're going with it yet either.

Last guy (splice redux) actually seems all right to me (although it's a smaller scale than FE usually is and pauldrons seem pretty large). The little fleur de lis at the end is pretty cool too.

[spoiler=sketch power, activate]

You could slice bread on that chin. Big bad armor is like this but with trim.

AEksHqS.jpg

Go ahead on editing MehFC, he needs a lot of help Dx

Oh dear, my horrible base lines are showing lol. Looking at it now, those lines are pretty much completely totally wrong O.O I'll work on fixing the base lines up and see if that makes the body drawing easier.

I like how he's going too, mainly working on the head right now. Now that you mention smallness, I think the reason his head looks tall is that his face got scrunched down onto a normal size head. will fix.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I can actually satisfactorily finish something

No problem, and good luck~ Pretty interested to see how you'll translate that armor into sprite form. ^^

fZcKN.png

Didn't need too much change on this guy too~ Just a few minor tweaks.

[spoiler=compare gif]

fZcVl.gif

~Tried matching the shading on the hair more to how it's used for Raven. Also tweaked some of the way it was parted.

~Moved in face and rounded back of head

~Lightened armor to balance with the rest of the sprite (used Raven's colors as a base)

~Reshading around eyes, neck, mouth

~Didn't get time for the armor, guess it looks alright? someday maybe, could always do more polishing

• 4 weeks later...

rW9W5Fh.pngaRi7GmN.png

Battle sprite comp entries. The fire birds are real. Not sure why, as both fire and birds are hard for me to draw :P

It's good to work on fixing weaknesses. Unlike me, who only seems to sprite armored stuff

Quite like the Flaming birds... And the Falcon Fun! :D (loved playing as CF in smash with friends and amusing ourselves by yelling out Falcon <action> during play)

The mug doesn't seem quite finished to me though, personally... Shading seems a bit half done/unfinished. Also odd shading on the forehead... Unless he is supposed to have a furrowed brow or something? :\

I do think the concept/design of the character looks nice and interesting though. :)

...but yeah, looks like it needs some more work/shading.