Return of the Emblem Chapter Thirteen: Flight

Phoenix

It was difficult to tell whether the fighting was more or less gruesome in the air than it was from the ground, but either way, things were not going remarkably well. The fight had only just begun and already many members of their group had been overpowered and their group was hardly standing together. As they fought, they were getting spread out and the wall of Wrathites was beginning to shift to surround the smaller clusters. Norbert grit his teeth as he watched the two sides trade blows. He had an advantage being in the air -- the Wrathites had no way to reach him right now, but by magic, and they seemed to be conserving that or unleashing it against the more immediate threats -- but the way the Wrathites had closed in around the group and were beginning to swirl among their lack of formation, there wasn't much in the way of a safe place to land.

Friendly fire was just too likely from his vantage point at the moment. That is, if he swooped in near his allies. Norbert's gaze shifted to the Wrathites that stood outside the inner ring of Wrathites, waiting for their turn at Joanna's rescuers. Then, he looked to the hallway Valter and the others had emerged from. There are a lot more of them than us. It was true that some of their own group were still waiting for a good opportunity to strike at the Wrathites, but there was just plain more Wrathites. It was also true that Hoshi and Amon's people were downing more Wrathites than they were taking losses, but they kind of had to if they had a shot at getting out of there. Again, Norbert looked to his allies. ...It's not safe to land yet. ...But I can at least help them a little bit.

Still refining the idea in his head, Norbert took up his poleaxe from Rizen's side, then the pair swooped down at Wrathites on the outer edges of the progressively less-defined enemy ring. So much attention was on the fighting in the middle of the hall that many of the Wrathites weren't expecting an aerial assault from behind, and with a wide swing, Norbert cut into the backs of two waiting Wrathites and nicked a couple more. It wasn't a deep cut, but evidently it stung if the cries of those struck were anything to go by. The swing had also thrown Norbert somewhat off-balance and his face twisted at the strain of trying to right himself while pulling on Rizen's reins to direct her. He couldn't use them to hold his weight -- that'd be disastrous -- so it was up to his core. He was fighting the weight of the poleaxe, its momentum, and gravity's pull as Rizen flew back upwards into the air and Norbert wasn't quite in the right place in the saddle to do so as effortlessly as he had in the past. As Rizen leveled out again, however, the rider was able to shift his weight to its correct place again.

I can't lean that far out when I'm swinging something this heavy. Norbert glared scrutinously at his polearm. Not while I'm moving upwards like that. The pegasus rider inhaled, then loosed a quick, quiet huff. Okay. Next time I have to rely on my arm strength more when I swing. Maybe if I swing backwards it'll make things easier...

When he looked back down to see if there were any more unsuspecting Wrathites he could harry, he noticed that those who'd been attacked were spreading the word, pointing up at him. It hadn't reached the vast majority of outlying Wrathites yet, however. Norbert grinned. Even if they see us coming, that's more eyes on the less dangerous enemy. Go get 'em, everyone.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamilla's semi-boasting to Tia was interrupted when someone shot her in the back. It was the beating she deserved but not the one she needed. The attack forced the girl to her hands and knees. She looked around in shock: where did it come from? That's when she saw that anyone that made a decent strike was ripped a new one by the enemy forces. It was a miracle that she was still conscious at all.

The attack probably did nothing to calm Tia, but Jam didn't panic. Instead, she took her vulnerary and took a swig. In moments, the dancer was back on her feet.

"See, no problems."

Jam uses vulnerary. No battlepost taken. 11/15
Edited by Toogee

"Shadrak!" Once again, Eva had attempted to dart in the way, but the man with the lance had been far too quick. She growled at him, raising her sword level to his head. "You! You coward! Why don't you try fighting someone who can take you? Or are you too scared I'll be more than a match for your puny self!?" Sick of these Wrathites and this whole cathedral! Never coming back here if I can help it...

----------

Tia, getting lost in her head, was pulled back out to watch Jam's fancy footwork display, managing to nod and whisper that it had been "pretty cool." That was until Jam was blasted with some magic for her attempts, Tia desperately reaching arms out to do something to help, stopping as she knew that she couldn't exactly do anything. But Jam managed to stand again, and Tia managed to hold herself out of her head thanks to that.

"You... Y-You go get 'em, Jam," she attempted to say, with all the bravado in her. It wasn't much.

Liam took a small cut as the swordsman cut at him, but Valter thankfully disabled the man before he could reach for his rod. This is far from over... Liam thought to himself.

Liam defends Joanna! (and Valter)

There were a number of injured on their side...Nadya opted to go for the bowman who seemed skilled at penetrating heavy armor.

Nadya uses Raise+ on Pete! Pete 15/21 Team NES +3

Despite her barking, there wasn't anyone that Eva could readily strike down. She wanted them to come to her, but she knew they wouldn't be stupid enough to leave their little defense line, not unless they were backed up by some magic or that spear wielding guy. Instead, she stuck herself between them and Nadya, determined to make sure none of them got through like they had for Shadrak. There's no one getting past me as long as I'm still standing. I'll make sure of that!

Eva Defends Nadya

Edited by I have opinions

With several of their group downed and over half the enemy still standing, Valter was reconsidering their chances here. It was true that many more Wrathites were downed compared to their injured members, but there were just so many more of them. Nocking an arrow, with a twang he sent it into another soldier’s chest. “Alastor, are you prepared to lose all your men? The longer you keep us cornered the more lives will be lost, but no matter how many you sacrifice, you will not re-capture Joanna. If you had any sense you’d call this off now.”

Valter rings his last ring for +4 Str, attacks Virtuoso A

Roll: 5,4,3

20 + 5 = 25 – 16 = TIH

12+4 =16 -1 =15 DMG

Virt A is ded yo

Lumi grinned as Pete got back up to his feet. Helping him up, she widened the shield on her arm and settled the tonfa into position. "You alright old man? Looks like we've got some work to do if you're up to it."

Lumi shifts 5 str into mag, equips tome, defends Pete

All was going well, until a sage took a liking too Pete, and nearly killed him right there. Merz, that was cold! Too cold to even feel his limbs...

At some point, he must've blacked out, because there were many more bodies when he next saw the Hall, and the cold was gone.

"I'm fine. Just keep your magic away from me," Pete said, as he drew his axe and immediately made for another enemy knight. He sunk into the Wrathite's side with his first swing, but when Lumi distracted the enemy and weakened him, the fighter opted to behead him with the second swing.

[spoiler=Roll]

Roll is typoed, I mean General C.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4595556/

1,4,6 = hit! 14 points of damage! General C 16/30

Lumi defends!

3,4,4 = Critical miss! (8 hit, 10 evade) Lumi 18/18 8]

Counter

2,1,4= Hit! 11-7 = 4 points of damage! General C 12/30

Lumi doubles!

3,5,6 = Hit! 15-7 = 8 points of damage! General C 4/30

Pete doubles!

1,2,2 = Critical hit! 2(12) = 24 points of damage! General C is defeated!

Team PAL gains 8 points (3 for defend, 5 for enemy defeat)

General C 0/30

Pete 15/21

Lumi 18/18

Edited by Snike

Well, it seemed the archer, and now axe fighter, was back up, and charging down another knight. With the assistance of the rider, who seemed to have gotten over her stint when he came back up, they took down the heavily armoured opponent.

Of course, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. While Lumi had managed to deflect the incoming strike with her shield of ice, it was a near miss, and her defensive cover had been all but destroyed... she could re-conjure it, but it would take a moment that she might not have.

"Geez... you go off about how you're gonna protect him next time, and then lose your defence to the first blow? I've got him, get your shield back up!" Angelica called out to the duo, as she leapt over them with a burst of wind, taking a defensive stance in front of them. Flooding her limbs with neutral anima units and stirring the wind units about her to help her defend against anyone that did decide to charge them, Angelica gripped her dagger with white knuckles.

'Heh... looks like I'm still more comfortable off the front line, huh... assassinations are so much simpler than full out brawls...'

Angelica equips firewall and defends Pete.

Healing

Shadrak wasn't surprised the leader came after him within seconds of calling out their group on their foolishness, but he was certainly infuriated by it. "This is why I can't stand pointless fighting, sticking my neck out all the time," he said, holding his wound and looking for a way to quickly heal himself. There were a few dead with life energy he could siphon off to stop the bleeding, but which one was the closest and the least likely to draw attention, he wondered? That was when he saw Amon, somewhat hidden in an aisle with his back to the long backrest of the next row going forward. The sancturan quickly made eyes contact and for a long moment, Shadrak wondered what was going through Amon's mind as he sat there scowling at him the way he was.

"Don't even think about," Amon muttered, his scowl deepening slightly.

"Urgh! I wasn't," Shadrak said, some newfound anger welling up inside him. He quickly shuffled on all fours toward the sniper Amon had taken down and quickly casting a spell on him.

Amon turned away from the scene, figuring the man he'd tried to spare was going to be killed in Shadrak's desperation. The practice wasn't doing anything for his mood, so he definitely didn't want to see or think about it anymore, either.

Joanna meanwhile quickly and carefully healed Liam's wounds from a short distance. She hoped by keeping a slight distance from the people she was healing minor wounds for, she wouldn't get them too much attention from the enemy. All the while, she had to ignore the wrathites that had fallen in battle. She was just one person and didn't even have enough time to help everyone on her own side, either.

Alastor hadn't called off the fighting until being defeated the last time, and so now that there was a true emblem piece at stake, she didn't expect him to back down now. This time there was no misunderstanding, no potential for a wild goose chase, no mistaking the fact that they were making off with a real prisoner and a real piece of the emblem. No, she doubted the fight would end until one group had the other by the throat.

Joanna heals Liam! +9 HP!

+2 points for Team ViJiLant

Edited by Phoenix

Ignoring the juvenile taunts of the woman, Alastor nodded at both bishops who set out towards the reason for this battle in the first place. Light magic flew through the air as the beams struck Liam and he blinded them in return.

(5,6,1)= Hit! 15-7= 8 damage! Liam 19/27!

(5,2,5)= Autohit! Bishop A is stunned!

(1,1,6)= Miss!

(5,3,5)= Autohit! Bishop B is stunned!

Distracting the avian gave Alastor room to come in and thrust his lance into Sir Valter. "You should have surrendered..." he said grimly.

Alastor switches to Brave Lance!

(4,5,2)= Hit! 13- -1= 15 damage! Valter 3/18

(2,3,5)= Hit! 11 - -1= 13 damage! Valter 0/18

Alastor switches back to Aegis Lance!

The other lancer took the opportunity to close in on their target.

Halberdier A closes in on Joanna!

The druid focused his energies on disintegrating the woman whose ice shield was just broken.

(3,6,4)= Hit! 23-6= 17 damage! Lumi 1/18

General A 0/30 (Defending)

Alastor 24/24 (Erratic)

Bishop A 21/21 (Aggressive, Stunned)

---

Hero A 0/30 (Aggressive)

Adept A0/21 (Aggressive)

Virtuoso A 0/21(Aggressive)

--

General B 0/30 (Defending)

Sage A 0/15 (Aggressive)

Sniper A 0/15 (Subvert)

--

Swordmaster A 0/21 (Passive-Aggressive)

Halberdier A 22/24 (Aggressive)

Hero B 0/27 (Passive-Aggressive)

--

General C 0/30 (Defending)

Druid A 21/21 (Aggressive)

Bishop B 21/21 (Aggressive, Stunned)

--

Warlock A 30/30 (Passive-Aggressive)

Berserker A 27/27 (Passive-Subvert)

Virtuoso B 21/21 (Passive-Aggressive)

--

General D 30/30 (Passive-Defending)

Warrior A 27/27 (Passive-Aggressive)

Adept B 21/21 (Passive-Subvert)

Round 4 fight!

It would figure the dark magic user would go around her and just aim straight for Lumi. Angelica cursed under her breath, but it seemed that the rider was still standing, if barely. The same could also unfortunately be said of the druid, who, while falling flat on his ass from the impact, had avoided taking an immediately lethal wound from the two knives that sunk into his chest.

"You alright?" She called out to the injured rider.

Angelica can't miss, deals 9 and 10

Druid A 2/21

Angelica 21/21

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4595701/

Edited by Ether

The dark magic user was down, but did not appear to be dead- Nadya made sure that was no longer an issue.

(2.5.5)= Critical Hit! 16-7= 9x2= 18 damage! Druid A 0/21 Team NES +5 points

The bishops had distracted him and the enemy commander took our Valter...Liam cursed his weakness for a moment before his attention was back on his duty, who was being chased by an enemy lancer. "Get behind me Joanna!" Liam called out.

Liam defends Joanna!

Edited by -Cynthia-

"You don't have to tell me twice," Jam replied to Tia. The dancer rushed back on the battle field, keeping her arms crossed above her chest in a defensive dance as she spun straight towards her attacker.

"Hey, remember me?!" she shouted to the bishop. Before he could even react, Jam smashed her open hand into his face just as she launched her spell. Still stunned from his previous assault, the bishop could not react as Jam leaped past him, delivering a second (but glancing) blast of light magic.

Her movements led her to the wounded Amon. Surprised to see him there (and in his condition), she knelt down to look at his fallen form.

"Hey, fearless leader," Jam said to Amon, glancing at his wounds. There was a surprising lack of blood considering what he was stabbed with. "...You gonna make it?" For once, she wasn't grinning from ear to ear. This looked particularly serious; she wondered where their healers were.

Jam dances: +2 DEF

Jam attacks Bishop A

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4595925/

[5,5,6] = HIT

9-6 = 3 damage

Bishop A: 18/21

-1 RES

Bishop A: Stunned

Jam doubles!

[5,2,5] = Autohit!

6-5 = 1 damage

Jam: 8/15

Bishop A: 17/21

-2 RES

Edited by Toogee

The two bishops moved in to try to overpower Liam, Valter had missed the true purpose of the maneuver and nocked an arrow to cover the avian. By the time he realized what Alastor was planning it was too late. He tried to switch targets, but the lance was in him before he had a chance to shoot, and the arrow ended up flying harmlessly over Alastor’s shoulder. The second, rapid lance thrust caused the horseman to drop his bow, and with an arm clasped over his wounds, he stumbled back several paces in shock before collapsing on his hand and knees. “Not… again…,” was all he managed to cough out before the world went black and he met the ground completely.

Violence

Joanna, feeling that her plan had utterly failed due to all the attacks that befell Valter and Liam, began rushing back on foot. She had the natural, but nearly overwhelming urge to leap into the air and glide to them, but thought better of it. She didn't know how the wrathites would react to their main target going airborne. To make her situation even worse, Alastor was very close to the people she was running to help, and she had no means of defending herself from him whatsoever. "Some one help, please," she called out, hoping this wouldn't play out with her and Liam going down while he tried to buy her time to help Valter.

"I'll be fine, Jamilla," Amon replied weakly, not even coming close to being able to hide his frustration from her. "Be careful. I don't want you getting hurt this badly, either, especially not after the last fight." He looked up at the sound of Joanna's plea and tried to move but the adrenaline had already left him, and now anything that agitated his wound was almost crippling. He could have made it to his feet if he fought through the pain, but there was no point.

Joanna returns to normal range.

Lumi staggered as she was slammed by dark magic. Her shield was shattered and her right arm was hanging limply be her side, having taken the brunt of the magic. Wincing, she raised her left arm, and flung some of the ice shards at one of the bishops that had assaulted the avian who'd joined them. They slammed into him, leaving him bleeding, but alive. She stumbled, and slowly started to try and recover her shield.

[spoiler=combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4596291/

hit!

10+2+2-4=10 damage

Bishop A: 7 HP remaining

Lumi: 1/18 HP

Eva growled more as the man entirely ignored her, setting herself up in front of Nadya again. "I see how the order works! You back down from a challenge you know you can't handle! Is this how Wrath is operating now? Sending feeble men to the front lines to do his dirty work!?" It was aggravating, having someone ignore her challenges. She knew why he was; there were far squishier targets hanging around that he could get to, but it was still bothersome all the same. "I suppose if you're too afraid to face me, I'll wait until we've dealt with all of your friends, and enjoy killing you last!" Maybe the healer behind her would be enough incentive for him to try and break his way through. Eva wasn't going to make it easy for him if that was the case.

Eva defends Nadya

Ignoring the juvenile woman once again, Alastor made his way over to where one of the enemy mages was attempting to recover her shield, stabbing her twice.

Alastor switches to Brave Lance!

(6,2,5)= Hit! 10-9= 1 damage! Lumi 0/18

(3.5.5)= Critical Hit! 13-9= 4x2= 8 damage!

Alastor switches back to Aegis Lance!

The Angel of Mercy seemed to flying away from him and so the halberdier followed.

Halberdier A moves back into normal range!

General A 0/30 (Defending)

Alastor 24/24 (Erratic)

Bishop A 0/21 (Aggressive)

---

Hero A 0/30 (Aggressive)

Adept A 0/21 (Aggressive)

Virtuoso A 0/21(Aggressive)

--

General B 0/30 (Defending)

Sage A 0/15 (Aggressive)

Sniper A 0/15 (Subvert)

--

Swordmaster A 0/21 (Passive-Aggressive)

Halberdier A 22/24 (Aggressive)

Hero B 0/27 (Passive-Aggressive)

--

General C 0/30 (Defending)

Druid A 0/21 (Aggressive)

Bishop B 21/21 (Aggressive)

--

Warlock A 30/30 (Passive-Aggressive)

Berserker A 27/27 (Passive-Subvert)

Virtuoso B 21/21 (Passive-Aggressive)

--

General D 30/30 (Passive-Defending)

Warrior A 27/27 (Passive-Aggressive)

Adept B 21/21 (Passive-Subvert)

Round 5 fight!

Things were not particularly looking up...Nadya decided to heal the druid on their side who seemed to have a knife problem yet again.

Nadya uses Raise+ on Hoshi! Hoshi 15/21 Team NES +3!

Edited by -Cynthia-

Hoshi nodded in thanks to the healer who had helped her up and grimaced. Activating another Nosferatu spell, she swarmed the soldier she'd attacked earlier, healing herself some, but taking his attack on her arm, just below where her spelled robe ended.

[spoiler=Combat]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4596847/

Hoshi does 14 damage, recovers 7 HP

Halb does 6 damage (screw you halb, no one likes you)

Hoshi: 12/18 HP

Halb: 8 HP remaining

As the head lancer charged the still recovering ice mage, she went down without much resistance... without the chance to fully regain her shield, or be tended to by a healer, it was inevitable, really.

"Geez... now she's down as soon as you get brought back up... well, I'm no healer, so I can't do much for that... we should probably pull back a bit." Angelica noted to Pete, as she continued undulating the wind about her, moving back closer towards the others, whilst also covering Lumi's fallen form.

Angelica continues to have the firewall equipped, and defends Pete!

It looked like the druid was back on her feet as the lancer from earlier was enveloped by a Nosferatu spell. “You alright?” Luther asked as he made his way over to Hoshi and moved between the two. He wasn’t about to let her go down a third time.

Luther stances; gaining 2 MT, 2 Hit, and 2 HP!

Luther 21/27

Luther defends Hoshi!

Hoshi nodded. "I'll be fine. I just... that soldier was chasing after Joanna. I couldn't... I hoped to, uhm, well, distract him. Uhm... she is the reason we are here. And, uhm, yeah." She shrugged and started forming more dark spheres to use.

Lumi meanwhile was collapsed on the ground, her right arm now completely useless and bleeding out rapidly through the wound in her side. Fighting through the pain, she slowly formed an ice shell over the wound to act as a bandage. It wasn't a permanent solution, she knew, but it would work for now. With that final act, she passed out on the floor, surrounded by ice shards and her tonfa lying next to her dislocated arm.

Jam also heard Joanna’s pleas for help, just as the big boss was plowing through one of their compatriots. That guy had to be stopped; maybe it would demoralize the rest and end this skirmish. She Amon try and get up to help, but his wounds prevented him from doing much. It did not escape the dancer that he was frustrated by his inability to get back in the fight.

“Hey, I’ve been pretty lucky today,” Jam said to Amon, a wink and a smirk sneaking onto her face. “Stay there. I’ll see what I can do about that guy.”

A face to face showdown with Alastor wasn’t in the cards for Jamilla. She’d have to get a little more creative for this bout. Her eyes caught sight of a pegasus and rider and recognized him as one of their own, Norbert. He was skirting the outskirts of the battlefield, unable to see the dancer amongst the chaos. She’d have to get his attention. To do that, she needed to get higher. Jam ran into the fray and to the sturdiest thing she could stand on.

“Eva!” Jam shouted as she approached. “I think he’s playing hard to get. Care to give me a ride?” The dancer first nodded towards Alastor, then up to refer to the peg knight flying around. The defender acknowledged Jam’s request and allowed the dancer to climb up onto her shoulders. Jam had her feet steady on Eva’s shoulders allowing the dancer enough height to stand out to Norbert.

In case that wasn’t enough, Jam raised her hand over her head and created a series of flashes from her light magic. Hopefully, this would be enough to flag down Norbert for an aerial assault.