What mechanic introduced in Awakening should be a mainstay for the rest of the series?

I don't think it's really appropriate to include pair-up again. It changed the game from planning a well-rounded army to crafting a bunch of unkillable super units. Half of your army's only use is their stat bonuses upon being paired up. Just buff support bonuses and you'll have the same effect except your other units will be able to do stuff.

That sounds more broken...

I would like Pair Up to exist in FE4. It's unfair some of the characters needing to traverse an entire continent on foot. But for all other games, I find Rescue much more strategically appealing. Pair Up has the cool factor but the opportunity cost of it is extremely skewed.

Also, Shoving should definitely come back. It was goofy and extremely useful. Also canto and weapon weight. Awakening is like the second FE6.

Actually, Pair Up in FE4 would be really interesting. Obviously they'd have to rebalance everything to accommodate but honestly that goes for any remake of FE4.

Also agree with you on shoving.

Oh, it balances out?

My Pegasus Knight with 4 Str and a 6 mt Lance has 8 more Spd than my Fighter with 12 Str and a 15 mt axe... And the same amount after factoring in weapon weight. I wonder which one will do better? It would balance out, except those low con characters also typically have low non-Spd stats to make up for their high Spd, and wind up being worse all around once their Spd is removed.

They may grow out of it (eventually, especially in Sacred Stones), but before they do they have no redeeming stats (except Mov/flight utility) and are more of a pain to train than Donnel in Lunatic.

Pegasus Knights are universally better combat units than fighters in like, every single FE game ever. Your point is wrong.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BrightBow, you're making me want to try out TearRing Saga! :o

Anyway...

My Pegasus Knight with 4 Str and a 6 mt Lance has 8 more Spd than my Fighter with 12 Str and a 15 mt axe... And the same amount after factoring in weapon weight. I wonder which one will do better? It would balance out, except those low con characters also typically have low non-Spd stats to make up for their high Spd, and wind up being worse all around once their Spd is removed.

But in the GBA games, low Con units are super strong: they get great HIT, great dodges, double attacks and they'll end up having enough SPD to not be hampered by heavy weapons. The babying they require is minimal compared to Donnel too (you just need to feed them near-death enemies, or mages).

Since we have the RNG they CAN come out bad (Lyn comes to mind), but for example, Pegasus Knights hardly ever fail and they are considered Cute Flying Death Machines by pretty much everyone.

Fighters, on the other hand, tend to be worse because of their average HIT being around 60%. At least Generals have DEF on their side but Fighters just have STR if things go wrong, and Axes are heavy, VERY heavy. If your Fighter gets to speed, he'll never double.

Only Hector and Pony Riders can use Axes without being penalized too much.

In the end, I'd say characters with low CON and high SPD end up being the characters LESS hampered by weapon weight, because they'll always have enough speed to almost nullify the penalities of weapon weight.

I mean, if we want to complain about weapon weight and CON, what about Shamans?? Dark Magic causes them several back problems.

I don't think it's really appropriate to include pair-up again. It changed the game from planning a well-rounded army to crafting a bunch of unkillable super units. Half of your army's only use is their stat bonuses upon being paired up. Just buff support bonuses and you'll have the same effect except your other units will be able to do stuff.

That sounds more broken...

Actually, Pair Up in FE4 would be really interesting. Obviously they'd have to rebalance everything to accommodate but honestly that goes for any remake of FE4.

Also agree with you on shoving.

Pegasus Knights are universally better combat units than fighters in like, every single FE game ever. Your point is wrong.

Of course the game will have to be balanced around that. The issue I take with pair up is that it makes most of your army functionally useless besides stat bonuses. In most games, the enemy is afforded advantages that the player has to make up for through their own intelligence. I'd be fine with just facing harder enemies or more enemies if I was punished for not using supports and all my units properly.

First non-introduction topic so here's goes nothing...

Fire Emblem introduced a ton of brand new mechanics and features...

Should any of these be a permenant mechanic to be used in future games?

Or do any of you feel that Awakening's changes to the FE system should stay in Awakening?

(Sorry if this sounds a little wierd, I'm a new user)

Does Awakening 'introduce' any mechanic aside from Pair Up?

I definitely don't want Pair Up to return.

This. Awakening didn't introduce anything except pair up. Pair up had potential, but it was basically a power up in this game.

Something that should stay in the series is the skip option and being able to highlight an enemy to always see their range.

This. Awakening didn't introduce anything except pair up. Pair up had potential, but it was basically a power up in this game.

Something that should stay in the series is the skip option and being able to highlight an enemy to always see their range.

Well should the way inheritance with children or any of the changes made to previous mechanics be permenant?

I do agree that the skip option should be included though....

Edited by UnknownUber

Well should the way inheritance with children or any of the changes made to previous mechanics be permenant?

I do agree that the skip option should be included though....

Children really shouldn't come back. Awakening actually removed mechanics and added only pair up in their place, lol.

Unique supports with everyone would be bro. As much as some were pretty bad, and there weren't enough non-romantic ones, it was pretty cool.

Infinite support conversations should stay. Makes filling out the log easier.

I guess pair up was kind of an overpowered alternative to rescue. I don't think it needs to come back, although I can admit it made training crappier units easier.

I don't know about children coming back. Depends on the story really. I don't want to have a perfect story get more time travel shoehorned in, or try to copy Genealogy or something, just to bring children back. If it comes naturally, then I'm okay with it. Speaking of which where is our Awakening engine Genealogy/Thracia remake

Unique supports with everyone would be bro. As much as some were pretty bad, and there weren't enough non-romantic ones, it was pretty cool.

this exactly

also, give me more voice acting dammit

voice acting in FE makes me a happy panda

Two different "danger zones" (one activated with X and the other activated by selecting enemies). This made it so you could highlight archers to help keep your fliers safe, while still seeing the general danger zone. Or highlight everything at the beginning and deselect enemies that you plan on killing that turn so you know where the soon-to-be safe zones are.

Infinite support conversations should stay. Makes filling out the log easier.

I guess pair up was kind of an overpowered alternative to rescue. I don't think it needs to come back, although I can admit it made training crappier units easier.

I don't know about children coming back. Depends on the story really. I don't want to have a perfect story get more time travel shoehorned in, or try to copy Genealogy or something, just to bring children back. If it comes naturally, then I'm okay with it. Speaking of which where is our Awakening engine Genealogy/Thracia remake

The children mechanic needs to take a break again. Time travel shoehorn was so bad. However Future Past DLC felt like a real extension of the story. I definitely got Genealogy vibes from Future Past. Inheritance of duty and what not. Except there were more feels because every kid got a conversation with their parent the way Seliph talks to Sigurd and Deidre's ghost in chapter 10.

I'm not a fan of everyone supports everyone because you get some lackluster supports out of the deal. Quality over quantity, y'know?

It's not exactly a feature, but I really like Awakening's menus. There's no menu lag whatsoever, and everything is easy to find and easy to do.

Oh my goodness this 10000000x. Awakening has some of the most fluid menus in any game I have ever played.

Two different "danger zones" (one activated with X and the other activated by selecting enemies). This made it so you could highlight archers to help keep your fliers safe, while still seeing the general danger zone. Or highlight everything at the beginning and deselect enemies that you plan on killing that turn so you know where the soon-to-be safe zones are.

This x1000. Keeping track of danger zones is so amazing. I hated counting the enemy's movement tiles manually because I have a terrible short term memory it's totally not because I get blazed.

lord, you dorks. there's another thread and it isn't even cold and it was even linked earlier in this thread.

merging with the other thread.

Pair-up is excellent, and I hope that they keep it.

The ability to adjust the effective stats of units in real-time offers a lot of strategic/tactical flexibility, especially in earlygame. This was a really welcome change over the previous titles, where the things that units could accomplish were relatively static and unchangeable. It helps you train units, gives new life to ones that fall behind (Frederick owes his late-game viability to Pair-up), and lets you temporarily cross stat thresholds to accomplish specific tasks (like doubling, or boosting damage, or taking an extra hit). They need to re-balance the Pair system (and also the Support system), but it's worth bringing back.

I'd also like to see Fixed Mode return, and would welcome the ability to adjust Dual Strike/Guard focus on a per-unit basis (give up one for an increased chance on the other), but that's something else entirely.

I belive Awakening is the fire emblem where strategy is the most underdeveloped. I mean in most chapter we only need to kill all ennemys to complete it. Hence the pair up system is really good here but it won't be very interesting in previous opus.

Strategy is really needed at the begining of lunatic and all lunatic + that is all.

So if the next FE is like Awakening pair up will be great but it will need some changes. Why not limit the second unit actions to only support with skills ? no bonus stats or attack ? Like that we could bring back shove with some changes too, we could nullify negatives stats the unit saved generally bring and "desactivte" his skills but could allow him to attack with the "savior" unit.

Like that it would bring a new feel of strategy . "What should I do ? Pair up and hold my grounds because i am sure they can survive like that a little or should i shove and retreat ?" It will not be brainless pair up "strategy" anymore.

So I thought about pair up and when i thought about what awakening's mechanics we should keep I realize that the game didn't actually bring anything else.

I mean with awakening we lost more than we gain. We lost meteo effect like rain or fog, we lost a lot of objectives . In fact we lost a LOT.

A thing we should bring back in the next is sacred blood from Fe4 . Not as f*** as it was but it will add more reflection when we need to make a couple.

The magic triangle back with one triangle for anima magic (fire>wind>thunder>fire) and put it in the normal triangle magic Anima>light>dark>anima.

Weight for weapons back too. but more balanced (Dark tome with 18 WGT seriously ?).

I don't know who but someone in this topic talked about an increase range of support. I'm in for it but only if it works like this:

character is next to his support => full S support bonus

Character is one case away =>A support bonus

character is two cases away =>B support bonus

Character is three cases away =>C support Bonus

or something like that.

A come back of "defend your castle".With this we will have to thnink not only about unit in front line.

For thoose who remember a good exemple is the last chapter of FE4 when we attack the wife of the bad ghuy with the Thorhammer. nearly all of my units was there fort attack and I got owned by wyvern rider coming from the sea and directly attacking the unit i left defending the castle.

And because I am a freaking sadist, here again like someone said previsously, the capture unit's mechanics and miss whith healing staff ( but only in hard mode un superior difficulty, not in easy and normal).

I realize after all this that i drifted a little off topic. and i'm sorry for that : /

EDIT: The highlight of a specific ennemy while we can see the highlight of all the ennemy already exist.

Edited by neolyn