Has Aether become a skill only nobles can learn?

IceBrand

In general I believe some (mastery) skills for specific classes in Awakening refer to the Tellius-series.

Lord: Aether (Ike)

Swordmasters: Astra, Vantage (Mia)

Cleric: Miracle (Mist)

Assassines: Lethality (Volke)

Astra dates back as far as FE4's Ayra and Lethality has been an Assassin thing since like FE7. Miracle is iffy because it has been around as Prayer for a while but Aether is definitely Tellius. I would rather Aether not be a Lord skill from now on. Diminishes the novelty of the skill. A new fusion skill like Ignis/Luna would be cool. Or bring back Eclipse.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astra dates back as far as FE4's Ayra and Lethality has been an Assassin thing since like FE7. Miracle is iffy because it has been around as Prayer for a while but Aether is definitely Tellius. I would rather Aether not be a Lord skill from now on. Diminishes the novelty of the skill. A new fusion skill like Ignis/Luna would be cool. Or bring back Eclipse.

Yeah Astra existed in FE4 already. I only mentioned Mia because she's the only example for astra and vantage.

I forgot that Lethality also existed earlier. I played FE7 very barely.

My theory of miracle for clerics is just based on the fact that Lissa is Chrom's sister, the same relationship like between Ike and Mist.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

He specifically mentions Mia because of Vantage (she's the only Swordmaster in the series that learns the skill innately before FE13).

Oh, I hadn't known that.

I heard somewhere (probably just fan speculation) that the separated Aether --> Luna animation instead of Ike's "double hit" in one go in PoR for Griel is because there was supposed to be a scripted battle when Griel uses Aether and the "battle" gets interrupted.

It's probably because Greil's sword arm is not as good as it use to be.

...I thought Greil wasn't supposed to be able to use a sword at all anymore? I figured he would be Aethering with axes. RD Ike could do it, after all.

He was able to use the trainer in the prologue of Path of Radiance. I believe he cut his tendons so he could never use a sword effectively ever again.

He was able to use the trainer in the prologue of Path of Radiance. I believe he cut his tendons so he could never use a sword effectively ever again.

Well, I figured those were lighter than the actual swords, even though Mist says they're kinda heavy.

Trainer had a weight of 6. So Greil at best could probably use an iron sword with little problems.

I doubt that was factored into game mechanics.

Most of the "story" elements were added as skills on the item attributes or character data... including invisible ones.

Edited by shadowofchaos

He specifically mentions Mia because of Vantage (she's the only Swordmaster in the series that learns the skill innately before FE13).

Lex!Larcei kinda kicks that into a ditch. Yes, I know, it requires pairing Ayra with Lex, but seeing as that's one of the "predestined" Genealogy pairings where they're easy to do (as opposed to something like Noish or Arden where you /really/ go out of the way), it easily happens.

I had no idea that skills were so heriditary, or that so many FE patrons believed Tellius and Akaneia were linked. Or that some like to link together Chrom, Marth and Ike. But this thread has been very eye-opening and a cool read!

Priam could potentially be a descendent of Ike or Mist, as nothing in Awakening is conclusive. To my knowlegde "scion" means descendent or heir, and if the direct bloodline of Ike diminished, then only Mist's lineage would remain and serve the legacy of Ike. That said, I do feel the presence of Ragnell and appearance of Priam suggests Ike as his ancestor. Though Ragnell could have easily just passed hands from Ike's descendents to Mist's bloodline, while the likeness of Priam to Ike is kind of meaningless since Ike and Mist are within the same generation, and they're therefore both passing on the same genes to their children, right? If not, incredibly similar genetics. It's not uncommon for there to be likenesses within families between great aunts or uncles.

I'll assume and agree that Priam not having Aether would be to deny Morgan (M) the skill anyway, since that feels most logical.

Edited by Red Falcon

He needs class data in order to appear on the map (even in cutscenes) due to the way the game works, and it's a lot simpler for them to just give him an already existing class complete with all bells and whistles than to make a new one for him that doesn't do anything.

Game devs tend to be lazy with things that you are never supposed to see. Another example is how in fe8 myrrh can equip claws that have been glitched onto her because of how the devs reused fe7's weapon locks, or how unused weapons in fe5 have a habit of crashing the game due to an empty description string, or how one of the bad guys in golden sun 2 is thinking "do think of resisting us" when mind read (when you are weak partly because your mind reader has temporarily left the party, so no one bothered to correct the missing word.)

I had no idea that skills were so heriditary, or that so many FE patrons believed Tellius and Akaneia were linked. Or that some like to link together Chrom, Marth and Ike. But this thread has been very eye-opening and a cool read!

FE's "timeline" is sort of borderline between obviously not existing and being solid enough to piece together, which is kind of the way I like it. Unfortunately if you do try to piece it together, Awakening sticks out like a sore thumb due to having such blatant disregard for series canon to the degree where it might as well not be canon at all...

Game devs tend to be lazy with things that you are never supposed to see.

Yeah... But in this case it's something you are supposed to see, and just the quickest way to make it look the way they want it to look.

Priam could potentially be a descendent of Ike or Mist, as nothing in Awakening is conclusive. To my knowlegde "scion" means descendent or heir, and if the direct bloodline of Ike diminished, then only Mist's lineage would remain and serve the legacy of Ike. That said, I do feel the presence of Ragnell and appearance of Priam suggests Ike as his ancestor. Though Ragnell could have easily just passed hands from Ike's descendents to Mist's bloodline, while the likeness of Priam to Ike is kind of meaningless since Ike and Mist are within the same generation, and they're therefore both passing on the same genes to their children, right? If not, incredibly similar genetics. It's not uncommon for there to be likenesses within families between great aunts or uncles.

I'll assume and agree that Priam not having Aether would be to deny Morgan (M) the skill anyway, since that feels most logical.

The huge catch is that Tellius and Akaneia aren't even the same world.

End of RD Ike leaves Tellius and is never seen again [by the denizens of Tellius].

P23 opens with an explanation of the Radiant Hero being... a person from another world.

Scion also refers to direct lineal descendants.

The Mist theory sinks on that. Especially since Mist doesn't leave Tellius, unlike Ike.

I doubt they would need to prevent speculation of Priam being related to Chrom when he is stated to be the Scion of the Radiant Hero, unless they did it to prevent speculation that Ike is related to Marth or something. Priam really should have had Aether though.

Could be a translation thing. What's his literal title in Japanese? It might add some more leeway.

The real proof he's not directly related to Ike is that Ike isn't hooking up with anyone but Soren.

The huge catch is that Tellius and Akaneia aren't even the same world.

End of RD Ike leaves Tellius and is never seen again [by the denizens of Tellius].

P23 opens with an explanation of the Radiant Hero being... a person from another world.

Scion also refers to direct lineal descendants.

The Mist theory sinks on that. Especially since Mist doesn't leave Tellius, unlike Ike.

Yeah, I understand that Tellius and Akaneia are only linked by the Outrealm Gate. :)

So Ike leaves?

That's quite an interesting point!

Is the term scion not open to interpretation?

If Priam is said to come from another world (likely Tellius), then his bloodline is less likely to be Ike, unless Ike had children before leaving Tellius. If this is true, perhaps Ike's descendents became Marth and Chrom, while Mist's lineage would lead to Priam, of which bloodline remained in Tellius until Awakening. Which would ultimately tie-in with the theories about why Priam doesn't get the true Aether skill hehe.

Edited by Red Falcon

Yeah, I understand that Tellius and Akaneia are only linked by the Outrealm Gate. :)

So Ike leaves?

That's quite an interesting point!

Is the term scion not open to interpretation?

If Priam is said to come from another world (likely Tellius), then his bloodline is less likely to be Ike, unless Ike had children before leaving Tellius. If this is true, perhaps Ike's descendents became Marth and Chrom, while Mist's lineage would lead to Priam, of which bloodline remained in Tellius until Awakening. Which would ultimately tie-in with the theories about why Priam doesn't get the true Aether skill hehe.

I thought it said that Ike was from another world, not Priam. And that's why Airship is saying that's where the Mist theory dies, because Mist wasn't said to have left, only Ike (and then Soren if you got Ike and Soren to A support).

Ranulf can go with Ike too, you know. His ending changes as well if the two get an A support.

The people that think Priam is descended from Mist like to argue that Mist's descendants could've left as well, but there's no evidence indicating this. So it's really completely up in the air just whether or not Priam is directly descended from Ike. I like to believe that he is though, just so Ike can be married and have children and sink the stupid Ike x Soren and Ike x Ranulf ships.

Ranulf can go with Ike too, you know. His ending changes as well if the two get an A support.

The people that think Priam is descended from Mist like to argue that Mist's descendants could've left as well, but there's no evidence indicating this. So it's really completely up in the air just whether or not Priam is directly descended from Ike. I like to believe that he is though, just so Ike can be married and have children and sink the stupid Ike x Soren and Ike x Ranulf ships.

There are some people who think that Tellius and Archanea are in the same world, despite evidence suggesting otherwise.

Like some people on Miiverse, though I'm not gonna name any names.

They're probably people that haven't actually played any Tellius or Archanea games or only played a game from one of them. xP

I also like to think that since Awakening creates multiple timelines, Tellius has some alternate timeline as well where Ike stayed behind to marry Elincia and continue looking after Crimea and his mercenaries. :3

Priam came from the Outrealm Gate. Before that he had to come from somewhere. If he came from Tellius then Mist and her descendents didn't need to go anywhere. :P

Folks are probably aware that Tellius and Akaneia exist in different worlds by the way. Their logical is just using the fact that both continents are connected by the Outrealm Gate as I understand it.

Edited by Red Falcon

So it's really completely up in the air just whether or not Priam is directly descended from Ike. I like to believe that he is though, just so Ike can be married and have children and sink the stupid Ike x Soren and Ike x Ranulf ships.

I mean it doesn't totally break those ships, as the possibility is there that in those ships one of the two is transgendered and they could have biological children that way. And of course adoption. You could very well interpret Ike leaving with Soren or Ranulf as either an extremely close friendship thing, or IS slipping gay couples past the public. It's all up to personal headcanons.

I also like the idea of Priam coming from Ike over Mist, because he's supposed to be descendant of the Radiant Hero, not the Radiant Hero's sister.

As for why he doesn't have Aether, I'm guessing it's to emphasize that it's an exalt thing? I'm glad he at least has Sol and Luna.

I mean it doesn't totally break those ships, as the possibility is there that in those ships one of the two is transgendered and they could have biological children that way. And of course adoption. You could very well interpret Ike leaving with Soren or Ranulf as either an extremely close friendship thing, or IS slipping gay couples past the public. It's all up to personal headcanons.

I also like the idea of Priam coming from Ike over Mist, because he's supposed to be descendant of the Radiant Hero, not the Radiant Hero's sister.

As for why he doesn't have Aether, I'm guessing it's to emphasize that it's an exalt thing? I'm glad he at least has Sol and Luna.

It could be another case of IS putting fanservice into the game (in the case of exalts having Aether).

As for Priam and why he doesn't have Aether but has Sol and Luna, it's possible that since he seeks to be powerful, he hasn't learned how to perform Aether properly as in piece Sol and Luna together and fire them off in quick succession. (His in-game bio also describes him as "more brawn than brains.") It's also possible that Ike's technique for Aether may have been lost to history and Priam recently rediscovered it and the Aether Chrom and his female descendants have may be a variation.

Edited by Roflolxp54