"unidentified network" no internet acess(not able to turn on the wi-fi either)

Junk

So basically on my HP pavillion the wi-fi was working fine till yesterday till all of a sudden i got a message saying "unidentified network" no internet access. It won't let me even turn the wi fi back on. The icons are greyed out. I already tried updating the drivers but they are already up to date. All my other devices connect fine. The computer has windows 8 if that helps. Can anyone help me fix this?

The computer has windows 8

That makes things worse.

Are you able to plug it in and get internet access? Check out your Microsoft updates.

Otherwise, go to the Command Prompt (right-click the lower-left corner where the start would be, and click Command Prompt) and type "ipconfig /renew"

I'm horrible at computers, but I had a similar problem on W8. Try checking your drivers for internet and disabling and re-enabling them if you haven't already. WOrked for me after a few restarts.

That makes things worse.

Are you able to plug it in and get internet access? Check out your Microsoft updates.

Otherwise, go to the Command Prompt (right-click the lower-left corner where the start would be, and click Command Prompt) and type "ipconfig /renew"

nope the ethernet cord doesn't work

will try your suggestion.

i just get a message saying windows IP configuration. nothing else

Edited by GO WITH YOUR GUTREAD GUY

well i think the biggest problem is it's not even letting me turn on my wi-fi atm. When I tried using windows troubleshooter it said i had to turn the wi fi on which it won't.

the adapter is enable. drivers are up to date

Edited by GO WITH YOUR GUTREAD GUY

okay unfortunately i don't know how to do the first step in this because i've never used windows 8

1: get to the device manager somehow

2: look at whatever devices you've got under "network adapters"

3: right-click -> disable some or all of them, at your leisure

4: reboot

5: if you're not randomly online now (voodoo!) get back to the device manager

6: re-enable devices and see if that pulls you online again

ipconfig /release /renew won't work if the system can't find a network adapter, sorry elie :(

also gonna move this to general to enforce some quality standards (just in case)

EDIT: if you're feeling really adventurous you can try uninstalling the network drivers instead of just disabling and then right-click -> scan for hardware changes but that has the potential to blow up in your face. i don't think it would but hey.

if you have access to the windows 8 cd and can repair your installation if you fuck it up go hogwild

Edited by Integrity