Lucina as her own character?

Fargo294

I'm a little iffy on this. I heard earlier that the creators didn't want to make any 'clones', so I had assumed she would be an alternate costume for Marth, but I recently found out she would take up her own character slot with different statistics and will not have the tip-damage that Marth has for his Falchion. I'm interested in seeing how this will turn out, but she supposedly won't have big differences from Marth so I'm worried about how 'clone'y she might be. (Since she's her own character, I better see Falco in the next reveal)

I don't mind, since she looks likes she will play more like Marth used too with the extra speed (Marth is WAY slower now) so if it means I can use someone closer to old Marth's speed with his moveset, sign me up.

Even if I would have preferred Jugdral/Elibe/Magvel representation to a second Awakening character...

I don't mind, since she looks likes she will play more like Marth used too with the extra speed (Marth is WAY slower now) so if it means I can use someone closer to old Marth's speed with his moveset, sign me up.

Even if I would have preferred Jugdral/Elibe/Magvel representation to a second Awakening character...

Hm, I actually wouldn't mind a slower Marth. I like the range he has and if he has more strength, then I might be more inclined to use him. I suppose if this is the case, it's a bit more justified. I wonder if anything else will be changed about her then.

They're the exact same speed. Sakurai stated that they are exactly the same except for the tip being stronger for Marth and lucina being spread through the whole sword.

Well, in that case, I hardly see the point. It's not a bad thing, but essentially she's a clone if they take up different slots.

Edited by Fargo294

I'm pretty sure Sakurai didn't say they have the same speed, only that "their physical abilities are the same." People have noted that Marth in the demo feels much slower than he did in previous games and the footage we have of Lucina looks like she's closer to the old Marth. People also noticed that she appears to have less landing lag. This would make her a Melee-style clone; same animations and basic attacks, but different properties to them to differentiate her slightly.

my sole problem with lucina is that it results in fe13 having two playable characters, which would still be grotesquely bloated even if there wasn't a huge pile of fe games which still have none at all

otherwise, it's nothing but positives. if sakurai et al have no objection to including a clone that's even clonier than anything melee had to offer, it certainly feels like it vastly improves the chances that lucas, falco, wolf and others i'm probably forgetting will not get axed for being clones themselves. i've never been of the opinion that any of them are at particular risk, both because they're ultimately pretty different to their originals (hell wolf barely counts as a clone!) and because there's nobody viable to replace any of them, but this just solidifies it even more

my sole problem with lucina is that it results in fe13 having two playable characters, which would still be grotesquely bloated even if there wasn't a huge pile of fe games which still have none at all

otherwise, it's nothing but positives. if sakurai et al have no objection to including a clone that's even clonier than anything melee had to offer, it certainly feels like it vastly improves the chances that lucas, falco, wolf and others i'm probably forgetting will not get axed for being clones themselves. i've never been of the opinion that any of them are at particular risk, both because they're ultimately pretty different to their originals (hell wolf barely counts as a clone!) and because there's nobody viable to replace any of them, but this just solidifies it even more

Well, we're supposed to be getting the new reveals tonight/tomorrow/soon, so I'm hoping for Falco and Lucas, though Ness may have a higher chance of coming back. The reveals usually come in threes, so I'm hoping there are more than three or that the last three will be really good.

Lucina doesn't take a slot at all (from anyone else) considering she was thrown in at the last minute as a bonus because she became more of her own thing then a Marth alternate costume. Sakurai himself stated this.

Edited by JediSwordSaint

Well, we're supposed to be getting the new reveals tonight/tomorrow/soon, so I'm hoping for Falco and Lucas, though Ness may have a higher chance of coming back. The reveals usually come in threes, so I'm hoping there are more than three or that the last three will be really good.

What new reveals are you referring to? If you're talking about CoroCoro, that's already out, and it had no new characters. Also not sure where you're getting reveals coming in threes, as that's only actually happened twice (E3 2014 and the Robin/Lucina/C.Falcon trailer). Pic of the day veteran reveals only reveal one at a time and Nintendo directs only have 1 newcomer aside from the Smash direct which had 1 newcomer and 4 veterans.

What new reveals are you referring to? If you're talking about CoroCoro, that's already out, and it had no new characters. Also not sure where you're getting reveals coming in threes, as that's only actually happened twice (E3 2014 and the Robin/Lucina/C.Falcon trailer). Pic of the day veteran reveals only reveal one at a time and Nintendo directs only have 1 newcomer aside from the Smash direct which had 1 newcomer and 4 veterans.

I heard somewhere that the next characters are going to be revealed soon, but I don't know how much water it holds. I just assumed about the threes part. I assume often. Doesn't tend to bring great results.

Lucina doesn't take a slot at all (from anyone else) considering she was thrown in at the last minute as a bonus because she became more of her own thing then a Marth alternate costume. Sakurai himself stated this.

Well, that's good news. I'm glad this got cleared up.

I heard somewhere that the next characters are going to be revealed soon, but I don't know how much water it holds. I just assumed about the threes part. I assume often. Doesn't tend to bring great results.

It was rumored that CoroCoro would be leaking the rest of the roster, but they quickly covered it up and noted that they'd only have info on currently revealed characters. The scans came out over the weekend, and it's the only relevant rumor I can think of that was supposed to happen around this time.

Unless you think Sakurai showing a Meta Knight cosplaying Mii to be evidence that Meta Knight is getting revealed soon.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai didn't say they have the same speed, only that "their physical abilities are the same." People have noted that Marth in the demo feels much slower than he did in previous games and the footage we have of Lucina looks like she's closer to the old Marth. People also noticed that she appears to have less landing lag. This would make her a Melee-style clone; same animations and basic attacks, but different properties to them to differentiate her slightly.

Remember, the demo wasn't a up-to-date build of the game even during the E3 period (that was probably the game's build 1-3 months before E3 since they'd need to polish up the demo for E3 during that time span), and the Lucina trailer likely had a much more recent game build. Those people are likely right about Marth being much more slower than in previous games in the demo, but when you take into account the demo being from an old build and Sakurai saying in an article (the one where he talked about why he added Lucina but not Chrom) that Marth and Lucina's power and speed are very similar, Marth's speed has likely been changed to match with Lucina's speed that was seen in her trailer.

I also don't like how FE13 is getting two reps as well, since it seems rather excessive especially considering how niche Fire Emblem is compared to other Nintendo franchises. Not even Pokemon got two reps for their newer gens.

Well either way, I doubt Lucina will be playable in the next Smash Bros. after the 3DS/Wii U versions, since Fire Emblem will likely be getting another new rep in SSB5 and I doubt they're going to have 5 FE reps in the next Smash Bros.

Remember, the demo wasn't a up-to-date build of the game even during the E3 period (that was probably the game's build 1-3 months before E3 since they'd need to polish up the demo for E3 during that time span), and the Lucina trailer likely had a much more recent game build. Those people are likely right about Marth being much more slower than in previous games in the demo, but when you take into account the demo being from an old build and Sakurai saying in an article (the one where he talked about why he added Lucina but not Chrom) that Marth and Lucina's power and speed are very similar, Marth's speed has likely been changed to match with Lucina's speed that was seen in her trailer.

I really doubt it. Yeah, we'll likely see some changes in the final build, but it will probably be very minor. I don't think they'd have included characters in the demo build that they knew they would have to change. And would they really make Marth faster just to be more like Lucina?

I also don't like how FE13 is getting two reps as well, since it seems rather excessive especially considering how niche Fire Emblem is compared to other Nintendo franchises. Not even Pokemon got two reps for their newer gens.

Well either way, I doubt Lucina will be playable in the next Smash Bros. after the 3DS/Wii U versions, since Fire Emblem will likely be getting another new rep in SSB5 and I doubt they're going to have 5 FE reps in the next Smash Bros.

Actually, Fire Emblem is soon going to become a Nintendo mega-series on par with Zelda. Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin will stick around for the next Smash Bros., one of the new FEs will get a rep, and Anna will also be playable. It's a leak I heard, trust me 4 serious.

No one will consider FE overrepresented because the roster is going to have over 70 characters anyway, with Mario getting 8 reps and Zelda getting 7. If anything, people will consider it underrepresented.

In all seriousness, the fear of seeing her cut in the next installment is what worries me most about Lucina. The only chance I see her having is if she's the next FE protagonist, but even that might not save her if Sakurai deems her too similar to Marth and can't change her up enough.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Two Awakening characters is a bit much, but I don't really mind. Lucina is basically a glorified alternative costume for Marth and she works better in that role then any other Fire Emblem character. I don't even see her as a full character actually even though she gets her own slot.

Edited by Sasori

I really doubt it. Yeah, we'll likely see some changes in the final build, but it will probably be very minor. I don't think they'd have included characters in the demo build that they knew they would have to change. And would they really make Marth faster just to be more like Lucina? all seriousness, the fear of seeing her cut in the next installment is what worries me most about Lucina. The only chance I see her having is if she's the next FE protagonist, but even that might not save her if Sakurai deems her too similar to Marth and can't change her up enough.

Do you really think Sakurai would skip out on adding Mario or Pikachu to the demo if those two happened to need a lot of changing or adjusting? Characters needing/requiring a lot of changing or adjusting is hardly reason enough to skip out on adding them in the demo (though not being polished/completed enough to be playable, like Pokemon Trainer in the Brawl demo, is understandable). Sonic badly needed adjusting and fixing regarding his Final Smash in the demo (considering his Final Smash literally froze demo stations quite often), yet he was still kept in the demo. Bowser has also been changed the most out of all the veterans from Brawl to SSB4 and likely still needs a lot of tweaking and balancing, yet was still playable in the E3 demo.

Seeing how Sakurai confirmed in the article I mentioned in the previous post that Marth and Lucina's power and speed (not counting Marth's tipper power, obviously) will be very similar, I should think that Marth's speed will be close to Lucina's speed that we saw in her trailer. I mean, it'd be really unreasonable to go "hey, now that we're making a clone of Marth, let's weaken Marth drastically and give all his good traits to his counterpart Lucina and call it a day!!"

Either way, I'm sure Sakurai will confirm more of the similarities and differences between Marth and Lucina in the next Smash Direct.

Actually, Fire Emblem is soon going to become a Nintendo mega-series on par with Zelda. Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Robin will stick around for the next Smash Bros., one of the new FEs will get a rep, and Anna will also be playable. It's a leak I heard, trust me 4 serious.

No one will consider FE overrepresented because the roster is going to have over 70 characters anyway, with Mario getting 8 reps and Zelda getting 7. If anything, people will consider it underrepresented.ll seriousness, the fear of seeing her cut in the next installment is what worries me most about Lucina. The only chance I see her having is if she's the next FE protagonist, but even that might not save her if Sakurai deems her too similar to Marth and can't change her up enough.

I'm not seeing the point you're trying to convey with your sarcasm.

Far as I've heard, Marth and Lucina will be very similiar in speed and power, with Marth's tipper being the major change between the two. As it is, Lucina will be easier to pick up and play since she doesn't need to worry about spacing, but Marth will likely be better for more experienced Smashers.

I can't get too excited about Lucina due to the nature of her moveset and Robin was the bigger announcement anyways, but her playing different from Marth shouldn't be a problem since she doesn't have a tipper anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

No one will consider FE overrepresented because the roster is going to have over 70 characters anyway, with Mario getting 8 reps and Zelda getting 7. If anything, people will consider it underrepresented.

In all seriousness, the fear of seeing her cut in the next installment is what worries me most about Lucina. The only chance I see her having is if she's the next FE protagonist, but even that might not save her if Sakurai deems her too similar to Marth and can't change her up enough.

what only 18 characters god fe is under represented!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and dont ask me how zelda will have 25 but I hear that gibdos will be playable

well they could have lucina use aether like ike and if you dont know how I got to that conclusion check the cutseen foreseer in awakening. of course for authenticity she also has to trip after she hits the ground.

Edited by thecrimsonflash