Anyone here ever go to band camp?

ChefGuevara

I'm honestly worried because I have a big reputation to live up to;the marching band here is considered the best in the state,so I have to go into it full throttle,especially since we perform at Disney this year:3

I did, my first two years of high school. First year we went to East Strausburg Uni, second year to an actual campground. Both were great weeks. But then budget cuts happened and we had to do it at the school. My younger sister hasn't had a chance yet, but they have half a week's worth this year, so at least she'll have experienced half of one (she's turning senior this year).

I'm honestly worried because I have a big reputation to live up to;the marching band here is considered the best in the state,so I have to go into it full throttle,especially since we perform at Disney this year:3

oh cool my band did that back when i was in it

of course we DROVE FROM PA THERE

but that's a different story

but damn, you guys only have day band camp? no away band camp for like 4 days that's overnight?

weak

oh cool my band did that back when i was in it

of course we DROVE FROM PA THERE

but that's a different story

but damn, you guys only have day band camp? no away band camp for like 4 days that's overnight?

weak

Well ours is for 2 weeks

I'm in band camp right now! Sax section leader here. I would say HYDRATE but you don't live in Texas so I don't think that's as important for you.

Here's some general tips: Don't try to correct upperclassmen. When you're setting drill, don't assume you're right because you're on your dot. Forget about your dot until you're allowed to correct and dress to the form. DON'T MOVE AT SET. Make sure you're paying attention to instructions because if you miss instructions in our band, our band directors get pissed. Marching fundamentals are important - even if it seems boring, try to put your full effort into each rep. The goal is to for your fundamentals to be like second nature to you so you can focus on other things like marching and playing and dressing your form. Stay silent while setting drill, even if you think it's something important. Call over a drum major or field staff person, or possibly your section leader.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it because from my experience, most upperclassmen are willing to help and are usually pretty friendly.

Yo if you're from NJ

I think you go to the HS I graduated from.

edit: lol bandcamp

Edited by Doga

I'm in band camp right now! Sax section leader here. I would say HYDRATE but you don't live in Texas so I don't think that's as important for you.

Here's some general tips: Don't try to correct upperclassmen. When you're setting drill, don't assume you're right because you're on your dot. Forget about your dot until you're allowed to correct and dress to the form. DON'T MOVE AT SET. Make sure you're paying attention to instructions because if you miss instructions in our band, our band directors get pissed. Marching fundamentals are important - even if it seems boring, try to put your full effort into each rep. The goal is to for your fundamentals to be like second nature to you so you can focus on other things like marching and playing and dressing your form. Stay silent while setting drill, even if you think it's something important. Call over a drum major or field staff person, or possibly your section leader.

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it because from my experience, most upperclassmen are willing to help and are usually pretty friendly.

. That's very comprehensive advice,thank you so much,I'll keep all of this mind!

I don't care if you're practicing in the middle of winter. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD MIX OF WATER AND SPORTS DRINKS! Oh, and invest in sunscreen, and if you're allowed, sunglasses and a hat. If you're percussion/color guard, you can also get away with some lip balm with sunscreen in it. Don't forget to apply sunscreen to the top of your ears (I learned this the hard way).

Don't lock your knees, get good, comfy shoes, and don't be afraid to apply sunscreen to your shoulders/arms/upper back even if you're wearing something with sleeves. Sunburns suck, and will ruin your concentration.

I don't care if you're practicing in the middle of winter. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD MIX OF WATER AND SPORTS DRINKS! Oh, and invest in sunscreen, and if you're allowed, sunglasses and a hat. If you're percussion/color guard, you can also get away with some lip balm with sunscreen in it. Don't forget to apply sunscreen to the top of your ears (I learned this the hard way).

Don't lock your knees, get good, comfy shoes, and don't be afraid to apply sunscreen to your shoulders/arms/upper back even if you're wearing something with sleeves. Sunburns suck, and will ruin your concentration.

Yeah, definitely don't lock your knees. It cuts off your circulation and you could pass out - it's happened before in our band. Also always keep your weight in your platform~