What's the point of regular mages when dark mages can do their job and then some?

IceBrand

Besides Dark Mages being able to use regular tomes along side dark ones, look at what they can do outside of battle. Thraja and Henry are able to curse people with several different effects, read minds, and talk to the dead. Why doesn't everyone just study the dark arts?

In regards to context, it's trading other things for powers.

For powers like that.

Obviously, Henry and Tharja are adept at doing the things they do without being subjected to any ill effects (because Awakening)... but the "dark arts" always has that implied connotation of trading a little part of yourself, if not more for said powers.

Sage class gives Tomefaire that quite a few Sorcerors would kill for, on top of better offensive stats. It's also pretty easy to access it considering Priests also have it.

I also value staves a lot more than most of the crappy Dark Tomes. Though I do enjoy Aversa Morgan for the best of both worlds.

Gameplay? Because Mages/Sages have better important caps and DMs/Sorcs have better useless caps.

Canonically? Using the dark arts causes you to lose part of yourself. And possibly go insane.

Real reason? Using dark arts causes you to lose part of your clothes.

Canonically? Using the dark arts causes you to lose part of yourself. And possibly go insane.

Didn't Canas say something to that effect in a support conversation in FE7?

Didn't Canas say something to that effect in a support conversation in FE7?

Canas: …I do believe this is the last surviving copy of this book. …As I told you before… Knowledge of the ancient magics has been passed down in our family for generations… Even this book…was to be passed to one of my three brothers.

Pent: And all three are now dead!! Good, Lord, man, you must be…

Canas: Oh, no! They are alive! But…barely. They merely subsist… As you know, elder magic is based on the forces of darkness… It is even more powerful than nature magic, which is often called anima. But to use this magic, you must invite the dark forces within you. The temptation to submit to the darkness is…great. …Unfortunately, the darkness took my brothers… They live…and breathe…their eyes open and close… But…they do not move. And they do not speak.

Pent: ……

Canas: There is no guarantee that I will not join them… …… Truthfully, it scares me… However, I must see the other side. My curiosity pushes me ever deeper. It will be my undoing.

Canas: …I do believe this is the last surviving copy of this book. …As I told you before… Knowledge of the ancient magics has been passed down in our family for generations… Even this book…was to be passed to one of my three brothers.

Canas: Oh, no! They are alive! But…barely. They merely subsist… As you know, elder magic is based on the forces of darkness… It is even more powerful than nature magic, which is often called anima. But to use this magic, you must invite the dark forces within you. The temptation to submit to the darkness is…great. …Unfortunately, the darkness took my brothers… They live…and breathe…their eyes open and close… But…they do not move. And they do not speak.

Canas: There is no guarantee that I will not join them… …… Truthfully, it scares me… However, I must see the other side. My curiosity pushes me ever deeper. It will be my undoing.

As cool as dark magic is, that's a frightening thought ;-;

But isn't that strictly Elibeean lore? I don't think there is anything similar to that in Magvel and Tellius what I can remember, and wasn't the only tome which really made one insane in Akaneia Imhullu?... that name always makes me laugh (hullu = insane).

It does come from Elibe, and it's likely that dark magic doesn't work exactly the same across worlds. However, when something is completely not explained, I prefer to default to past series canon (that hasn't been explicitly confirmed not to apply here) than to pull out new theories.

Magvel does actually talk about Dark Magic (Knoll's supports with Natasha and Duessel) but it's system seems to work completely differently from Awakening's (it's essentially Science compared to light magic's Magic there, but in Awakening the roles are reversed (Miriel goes on and on about science with her Anima, Tharja goes on and on about brewing nasty things in cauldrons)).