opinions on pairings?

If this is supposed to be about FE pairings only, this thread is in the wrong section. xP

If not, well, I'm only a big pairing nut depending on what series/franchise we're talking here. Fire Emblem and Zelda, I go nuts on. I like writing romances between my original characters too. But other than that, I don't really do pairings all that much.

Oh, but I DEFINITELY ship Cheese Sandwich x Pinkie Pie in My Little Pony. Those two seem practically MADE for each other. Oh, and Flash-whatever-his-name-is x Twilight Sparkle. He was from the movie, Equestria Girls. Oh, and I can't forget about Soarin x Rainbow Dash either, they seem cool. ^^

Obviously, I have no problem with other people being pairing nuts as well, I just think some fans take it way too far and way too seriously... Heck, I feel like I take it a bit too far sometimes...

Edited by Anacybele

Then what's your usual plan?

I ALWAYS have to have something planned, or else I go crazy. I usually go with my mainstay (failsafe) for streetpass (not that I get too many)

Ah, I just pair who I feel gives the kids good enough stats and skills, like Lon'qu/Maribelle and Stahl/Olivia.

Also supports help, too.

TactitionxLyn is cannon

I see nothing wrong in shipping or anything like that. It is fantasy and who hasn't really thought of being an awesome person in a book/game/ect. or having an adventures with that person. People have relationships in irl right? So why can't fantasy characters as well or you make the pairings if you so choose, since it is fantasy and for your entertainment. I am fine so as long you stop confusing fantasy with reality when you leave your off time and it doesn't get to the point where it hurts you irl.

I see nothing wrong in shipping or anything like that. It is fantasy and who hasn't really thought of being an awesome person in a book/game/ect. or having an adventures with that person. People have relationships in irl right? So why can't fantasy characters as well or you make the pairings if you so choose, since it is fantasy and for your entertainment. I am fine so as long you stop confusing fantasy with reality when you leave your off time and it doesn't get to the point where it hurts you irl.

This.

But shipping wars are ridiculous...

Ah, I just pair who I feel gives the kids good enough stats and skills, like Lon'qu/Maribelle and Stahl/Olivia.

Also supports help, too.

Rene: *gives Maribelle a death glare* That's my man! Am I gonna have to kick your pretty little butt...

(female avatar x lon'qu ftw)

EDIT - I just realized how much the bottom statement contradicts the top...derp. Shipping wars are still ridiculous. Notice I didn't flame people who don't agree...

Edited by Dragoncat

I think they're an interesting part of the series overall, and given (imo) a fair share of Fire Emblem is about being given control of a huge cast who are all supposed to be living breathing individuals, I think it fits in well enough even though the point of the gameplay itself is just fight fight fight, plus lends some good opportunities for the characters to develop and, well, mingle.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if it's getting to be seen as the lynchpin of the series' identity? Maybe not by all fans, but in the wider gaming public, if such a thing exists. That in turn feels a little ominous to me, though I'm having a hard time putting down why.

(Especially since I'd like to see a multi-generational entry in the series where it's part of the protag's job description to oversee your eugenics program help play matchmaker between soldiers, given something like a setting where the war being fought is so massive, all potential parents are forced to face the grim possibility that their children will have to inherit the fight)

(Especially since I'd like to see a multi-generational entry in the series where it's part of the protag's job description to oversee your eugenics program help play matchmaker between soldiers, given something like a setting where the war being fought is so massive, all potential parents are forced to face the grim possibility that their children will have to inherit the fight)

Kinda what Awakening does...not quite though...

I haven't personally gotten to participate in many discussions specially focused on just how much a part of the series pairings are, myself

Kinda what Awakening does...not quite though...

It's similar, but I had like 3+ generations in mind. And part of the reason why I think it'd be nice to have the "matchmaker" title woven into the story, as well as the gameplay, is that I think it'd be conducive to making the games as forthright as possible about "what pairing gets what qualities in the children," via stuff like stat growth projections, and skills/classes/weapon use if applicable. (I'd also just like to see the games list every character's stat growths.)

If this is supposed to be about FE pairings only, this thread is in the wrong section. xP

It's referring to Awakening ships. But, uh, wow, this is the first time I've seen you respond to a question about who you ship with something not involving Ike or Fred. Even though that something that has the potential to explode even harder.

As for me, I always pair completely based off gameplay. If I happen to get some good supports in my team, that's cool. If I get some bad ones, I skip them. Sometimes I build a team around a support I happen to like more than others, but it's never given too much weight, never happens more than once in any team, and I can the whole idea if I can't come up with a valid gameplay justification for whatever pair it happens to be (read: something useful that only that pair and no others can do).

Dear OP: Everyone in SF definitely ships Chrom and Frederick. It's basically SF's most popular ship ever. Take my word for it and don't ask anybody about it ever, because they'll probably lie in an attempt to appear hipster in an already hipster community. That's just how it goes with REAL HARDCORE FE fans. They're weird like that.

I haven't personally gotten to participate in many discussions specially focused on just how much a part of the series pairings are, myself

It's similar, but I had like 3+ generations in mind. And part of the reason why I think it'd be nice to have the "matchmaker" title woven into the story, as well as the gameplay, is that I think it'd be conducive to making the games as forthright as possible about "what pairing gets what qualities in the children," via stuff like stat growth projections, and skills/classes/weapon use if applicable. (I'd also just like to see the games list every character's stat growths.)

Fun fact (dunno if you knew this): FE4 was originally planned with 3 generations in mind. I guess they realized it couldn't get much better than Shanan though.

Edited by Refa

Fun fact (dunno if you knew this): FE4 was originally planned with 3 generations in mind. I guess they realized it couldn't get much better than Shanan though.

I know it was originally planned with three parts, but I don't remember anything in the designer's notes saying that there would be a generation skip between parts 2 and 3 (the last part was to be centered around the children reuniting with their surviving parents- a new generation doesn't really fit in there).

Any possibility of a source?

Dear OP: Everyone in SF definitely ships Chrom and Frederick. It's basically SF's most popular ship ever. Take my word for it and don't ask anybody about it ever, because they'll probably lie in an attempt to appear hipster in an already hipster community. That's just how it goes with REAL HARDCORE FE fans. They're weird like that.

Lol it really doesn't get much better than a guy who stomps the final chapter at base level. But we can't forget Ares either! Or good old Seliph himself.

It's referring to Awakening ships. But, uh, wow, this is the first time I've seen you respond to a question about who you ship with something not involving Ike or Fred. Even though that something that has the potential to explode even harder.

Well, the OP didn't specify and it was originally posted in the General forum, so... xP

As for why I didn't mention those characters, it's basically that I've gotten bored repeating my FE ships multiple times and I have them written in my profile. So if anyone wants to check them out, they can go there. I want to talk about other stuff more for a change.

As for why I didn't mention those characters, it's basically that I've gotten bored repeating my FE ships multiple times and I have them written in my profile.

THIS DAY SHALL LIVE ON FOR AGES TO COME IN THE ANNALS OF SERENES FOREST HISTORY