Metal Gear Rising: My thoughts, SO FAR

Junkhead

I liked the voice acting. Raiden is intentionally hammy in a positive way, Sundowner is awesome, the rest is okay.

I like how Red Sun doesn't.

It tells his state of mind, which is worse. The theme's cool, at least.

Red Sun is quite thematic. If you break down the lyrics you're basically reading how humanity is fucking over nature and its (objectively) natural beauty. Or in a different sense, how humans are becoming less human.

After deciding to read up on it, I found this on the MG Wiki:

"The lyrics describe the technological and visual transformation of the environment suffered by the exploitation of natural resources and contamination by humans in order to obtain more and more. The term "Red Sun over paradise," in Japanese culture, references a bloodstained night after a war, but changing the bloody moon into a red sun. The "red sun" would mean a new dawn of drastic changes, humans contaminating the beautiful "paradise," or the world. In fact, before reaching Sundowner, Raiden had to go through a Japanese garden typical of samurai stories."

Red Sun is quite thematic. If you break down the lyrics you're basically reading how humanity is fucking over nature and its (objectively) natural beauty. Or in a different sense, how humans are becoming less human.

After deciding to read up on it, I found this on the MG Wiki:

"The lyrics describe the technological and visual transformation of the environment suffered by the exploitation of natural resources and contamination by humans in order to obtain more and more. The term "Red Sun over paradise," in Japanese culture, references a bloodstained night after a war, but changing the bloody moon into a red sun. The "red sun" would mean a new dawn of drastic changes, humans contaminating the beautiful "paradise," or the world. In fact, before reaching Sundowner, Raiden had to go through a Japanese garden typical of samurai stories."

Is this what the author really had in mind or is this the interpretation of someone who listened to the song and read the lyrics? Just curious.

Sundowner seems in touch with nature, and Red Sun speaks about nature, so I concluded the song was speaking about what goes on his mind.

Curiously, Stains of Time seems to reflect more of Raiden's state of mind than Monsoon's.

"Its lyrics depict a storm that washes away all reasons for fighting and hope for a peaceful life, and only allows for hatred to remain."

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stains_of_Time

Edited by Rapier

Sundownder seems in touch with nature...? If you're referring to him being a "Blood Knight" and loving war and killing and him calling that "nature", then yeah. But that's not what I'd call "being in touch with nature".

I agree with you on Stains of Time and Raiden. But if you think of it, a few songs seem to relate to Raiden, like "It has to be this way", "War Still Rages Within" and the aforementioned "Red Sun"

You all post bits of the soundtrack, but none of you post this? This was pretty damn "OHHHHH" inducing when you

block Metal Gear Ray's blade and jump over his missile assault on the second encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs

RUUUULES OF NAAAAATUUUUURE

Revengeance is probably one of the better MGS games I've played, simply because it's just over the top and hilarious. Not very good as a mainstay title in terms of how the games are SUPPOSED to be, but hey whatever. Raiden's story is pretty fun to blast through.

Sundownder seems in touch with nature...? If you're referring to him being a "Blood Knight" and loving war and killing and him calling that "nature", then yeah. But that's not what I'd call "being in touch with nature".

I agree with you on Stains of Time and Raiden. But if you think of it, a few songs seem to relate to Raiden, like "It has to be this way", "War Still Rages Within" and the aforementioned "Red Sun"

Sundowner has a Sakura garden in their HQ, and the Four Winds Of Destruction's philosophy advocates social darwinism (ie. that it is natural for the strong to prey on the weak), this leads me to believe that he values the "natural order of things". I don't remember his dialogue with Raiden and his overall personality though.