SF's Valkyrie Profile Discussion Thread

Garland Chaos

I'll be damned if Valkyrie Profile isn't my favorite RPG at this moment. I can't wait to finish it.

Anyways, this thread is for exactly what it says on the tin: discussions about Valkyrie Profile, Enix and Tri-Ace's famous PSX JRPG. Sadly, it sold incredibly poorly, only 73,000 copies were ever sold here in North America, so your best bet would be to emulate it. So let's start this discussion thread, shall we?

Edited by Dynamo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Please don't remind me of how much I hate Lezard. XD

oh i like lezard

BUT I HATE HIS LEVEL FUCK THAT TOWER

I should probably try to play this at some point.

you really should. personally it's hard for me to keep myself into rpgs since i'm into action platformers and adventures, but i love this game to death. it even has some platforming(in dungeons outside battles)

...on one hand i wish it had more platforming, on the other hand the jump controls are basically castlevania |:

Started it never finished it. Have it for PSP. Game is super rare and expensive so I said fuck that and emulated that bitch. I'm gonna move it to my list of games to complete.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2 --> FE12 True End --> Sacred Stones --> Binding Blade --> Valkyrie Profile

VP is hard for me to finish these days, I can only play it once every few years because it's just not a game worth playing over and over once you've experienced everything. But I still consider it my favorite game, I played it to death when I was younger. It's just a bit monotonous and terribly balanced, it's hard to play with characters you like because some could be legitimately terrible or impossible to fit into combos. The game can also devolve into a 1-round fest as it goes on with the better characters.

VP2 has the exact same problems as VP1 unfortunately. Most characters are usable, but the game is so easy to break that it isn't fun if you either have any idea what you're doing or you don't purposely gimp yourself. You can 1-shot the hardest bosses in the game with preparation, and 2-shot them with very little. It's actually better to only focus on one character late-game instead of a whole team, which is a serious game design flaw. If there ever is a VP3, I hope it corrects the terrible gameplay imbalance, because it would likely be the pinnacle of the series if it did that and retained the VP charm.

Covenant of the Plume is bad and I don't consider it a VP game.

I really love the VP series, but talking about it always makes me like it a little less because of how flawed the games are, lol!

Sorcerers are overpowered in VP1, but they took a major nosedive in VP2.

Sorcerers aren't even bad in VP2, it's just that it's so easy to break the game with everyone else that they're bad in comparison. Their job of supporting combos by making enemies airborne, holding them in place etc doesn't matter when you can just kill everything in 1 hit. Their ability to do full damage to phantom enemies doesn't matter either because elemental weapons do a lot more damage than they should. VP2 gameplay is really disappointing, because it's actually fun in the early-game.

Edited by Tangerine

...Please don't remind me of how much I hate Lezard. XD

Oh man i feel ya. Hes an ok character in terms of plot, but in VP2...the shark got jumped regarding him and ughhhhhh...UGHHHH

I should probably try to play this at some point.

YES

oh i like lezard

Why am i not at all surprised? Lezard is too slimy even for me. Hes fun in the Seraphic Gate tho

goddamn i hated the tower of Lezard Valeth

blegh sorcerers are horrible in VP2

Ive finally gotten to the point where i dont need to use a guide to find the rooms that have The Really Cool Shit in them in that level.

Almost everything about VP2 is horrible.

VP Lenneth is really the only game in the series i dig. CotP didnt make a lot of sense to me.

Poll question: Kashell for life! Nothing beats that voice clip: "Uwuagh! Bastard!" Also Suo's "MY PATH IS STREWN WITH CORPSES!" omg i love that dub.