Advice/Tips for my first playthrough

Hamiwiful

So yeah... Im gonna buy Awakening in a few days, I have only played the Sacred Stones (I didn't finish it) and Im on Chapter 11 of Path of Radiance, so Im kinda new to this kind of games (I played FFTactics, Advance Wars and Tactics Ogre if that works for something).

So, as the title says, any advice/tips for this game? I have heard this one give you a lot of freedom.

It does give you a lot of freedom, especially on lower difficulties in which you can grind on random Risen skirmishes (similar to the monsters that may randomly appear on the map in Sacred Stones). DLC maps can give you a greater deal of freedom as you can grind more quickly and early. Also, after completing Chapter 16 (or certain sidequests), you can more freely reclass characters which allows them to learn more new skills as well as possibly have stronger growth rates for certain stats.

And the player character (and his/her child(ren)) has ALOT of class freedom when reclassing.

Pairing up can provide stat boosts for the lead unit, even if the pair in question can't support or have yet to support (in addition to the supporting unit having the random chance of performing a follow-up attack or absolutely block an incoming attack for no damage). Some players consider this feature to be outright OP, especially since the enemy units can't do that.

Use the X button to toggle the enemy attack range and hover the cursor over an enemy unit and press A to highlight that particular unit.

It does give you a lot of freedom, especially on lower difficulties in which you can grind on random Risen skirmishes (similar to the monsters that may randomly appear on the map in Sacred Stones). DLC maps can give you a greater deal of freedom as you can grind more quickly and early. Also, after completing Chapter 16 (or certain sidequests), you can more freely reclass characters which allows them to learn more new skills as well as possibly have stronger growth rates for certain stats.

And the player character (and his/her child(ren)) has ALOT of class freedom when reclassing.

Pairing up can provide stat boosts for the lead unit, even if the pair in question can't support or have yet to support (in addition to the supporting unit having the random chance of performing a follow-up attack or absolutely block an incoming attack for no damage). Some players consider this feature to be outright OP, especially since the enemy units can't do that.

Use the X button to toggle the enemy attack range and hover the cursor over an enemy unit and press A to highlight that particular unit.

Yeah, I got kinda used to pairing on the demo, but reclassing and stuff I think can give me a little of a problem. Thanks!

Chrom marries automatically in chapter 11. Decide who you want him with asap, then start grinding their support, or else he might end up with someone you don't want him to be with. He can be with FemAvatar, Sully, Maribelle, Sumia, Olivia, or a random villager. Olivia joins at chapter 11, so if you want him with her you'll have to keep the other girls away from him, and if he doesn't have enough support points with any of them, you will get the villager as Lucina's mom, who is the worst option because then Lucina wouldn't be getting stat points from both parents, hindering her in the long run.

Also he will usually have two kids, Lucina and whoever the mother dependent kid is if not paired with the villager. So if you pair him with Sumia you will get both Lucina and Cynthia. Lucina joins automatically, but you will have to do the other kid's paralogue.

You can check the main site to see who all the kids' mothers are or pretty much anything else.

Edited by Dragoncat

As far as difficulty mode--if Hard Modes weren't bone-crushingly rough for you in PoR or SS, you should be okay in Awakening HM. You really do have a lot of leeway with what you decide to do; feel free to make whatever reclass decisions feel cool. Just try to use a Second Seal on most of your units at least once before promotion, to ease EXP gain into lategame, and don't hesitate to have Fred do some lifting early on.

If you want to pair Chrom with Olivia, you can pair them up and use any Seeds of Trust you have. Easiest way to make sure they hit the required support points, so you don't end up with the rebound village maiden (srsly Chrom you can do better)

Also, if you have the cash to get DLC, you should invest in EXPonential Growth, and Golden Gaffe. You can grind tons of EXP and gold with those maps.

And you should strive to get Armsthrift and Galeforce on as many units as you can. Armsthirft will extend the life of your weapons by keeping the durability from dropping (Luk x2 activation) and Galeforce allows a unit a second turn if they defeat an enemy. AT is learned by Mercenaries at lvl 1, and GF is learned by Dark Fliers (A peg knight promotion) at level 15.

Edited by Zepher-Tensho

Ignore all that.

Awakening is a game with very sensitive first playthroughs- you never really get another one, so it's important to make your first one count by not grinding, and not looking up how to do things. Seriously. Don't ruin this for yourself. And don't worry about getting stuck due to ignorance, either- Normal is "learn-to-play" difficulty, and Hard is only a small step up.

I did research before I played and it didn't ruin it. No need to make me feel like an ass. It's not like I told him any plot. And hell someone else said something about using Risen to grind. Nothing wrong with grinding if you're stuck on a chapter you just can't beat.

And for me, hard was a lil more than a small step up, but I guess if I say why you'll chastise me for that.

Sorry if I was a little harsh.

I'm not saying you can't have a good first playthrough if you look into the game a lot beforehand, but it does fundamentally change the experience. You can have dozens and dozens of second playthroughs, but you only get one chance at a first, so you might as well take it.

There's also the wee little bit where people who haven't beaten the game yet come to The Pairing Thread and ask me to teach them stuff they could easily learn from a single normal playthrough, but that's my problem...

Well for me, reading about all of Awakening's new perks and skills and mechanics is what ultimately made me buy it, nearly a year after it's release lol.

But I guess we'll just let this guy figure out everything else. o3o

If you want to pair Chrom with Olivia, you can pair them up and use any Seeds of Trust you have. Easiest way to make sure they hit the required support points, so you don't end up with the rebound village maiden (srsly Chrom you can do better)

Seeds of trust are randomly found in the barracks and event tiles(sparkly places). Nowhere else. As in you can't buy them...but there might be one as a renown award.

Pairing up gives more support points than just keeping them beside each other, so...that's another thing worth knowing. But I paired him with Sumia and it was real easy, they were married at like chapter 8...

Edited by Dragoncat

Seeds of trust are randomly found in the barracks and event tiles(sparkly places). Nowhere else. As in you can't buy them...but there might be one as a renown award.

Pairing up gives more support points than just keeping them beside each other, so...that's another thing worth knowing. But I paired him with Sumia and it was real easy, they were married at like chapter 8...

There is a DLC chapter or two that gives like, 5 Seeds of Trust. Something like that. One of those "festival" ones. I think it's Summer Scramble? Maybe Hotspring. I dunno. All I know is I use those to get my Seeds.

In addition to what others have said, if you're going to start on a low difficulty setting, don't feel the need to optimize or anything. Just do what you feel like and you should be fine no matter what. And if you play casual mode, you won't lose your units forever if they get beat in a battle. But even in classic mode, you can still just reset without saving if you lose one of your units. I mostly went in blind myself and it was fun! (all I knew about was Lucina and the fact that Chrom married at chapter 11)

Honestly (and others have said it before)? Just wing it and have fun. You only get one first playthrough, don't spoil it by overthinking things.

Honestly (and others have said it before)? Just wing it and have fun. You only get one first playthrough, don't spoil it by overthinking things.

Ignore all that.

Awakening is a game with very sensitive first playthroughs- you never really get another one, so it's important to make your first one count by not grinding, and not looking up how to do things. Seriously. Don't ruin this for yourself. And don't worry about getting stuck due to ignorance, either- Normal is "learn-to-play" difficulty, and Hard is only a small step up.

Well, thanks to all to reply my post. I really didn't expect this amount of replies.

I noted[?] everyone of your tips/advice, but as these two persons said, I might just enjoy my first playthrough (Hard Mode) and in the next one try to do everything you'll have told me (I will only try to get Chrom married lol.)

There's one for 210 Renown, and all of the Scramble Pack DLC maps have three held by enemies.

But it doesn't take much to get the two paired. I think three dances will do it. If one was going for ingame optimization, it would be far better to save the seeds for places where their property of ignoring the limit for support gains per chapter is useful (such as using them to get an important B support in one chapter after C instead of two).

(I will only try to get Chrom married lol.)

If you want. But don't actively avoid marrying anyone else who you otherwise would.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I just finished my first run of Fire Emblem: Awakening! it was pretty good and filled with fun (Until chapter 20 when the only unit who didn't die of 1 hit was Chrom and the Avatar :x). Now, Im just wondering, Im thinking of doing another run with a Female Avatar, but I don't know if there is like a NG+ or I just Start a new save file. Thanks to all!

You just start a new save file. You keep the renown you had on your last completion of the Final Chapter.

You can even recruit your old MU/Avatar in the logbook.

Yeah, I started a new save file, but... what about this SpotPass thing? there are new maps, they gave me new items and there are some teams with pretty high leveled chars.

SpotPass has teams you can buy items from, recruit the leader of, or battle; they're essentially StreetPass teams you can summon on demand. Incredibly useful, to the point of being an enormous game-changer; many Lunatic and Lunatic+ runs use them for easy access to Levin Swords, Rexcalibur, and the like. Bonus Box drops regalia on you; it's not particularly useful earlygame except for perhaps Mjolnir-bombing with a stuffed Avatar. Renown awards get better and better as you play more and more runs, though the best one (the Second Seal) is accessible very very early (after your first run or Chapter Four during your first run, iirc).

Do as you like, and have fun!

SpotPass has teams you can buy items from, recruit the leader of, or battle; they're essentially StreetPass teams you can summon on demand. Incredibly useful, to the point of being an enormous game-changer; many Lunatic and Lunatic+ runs use them for easy access to Levin Swords, Rexcalibur, and the like. Bonus Box drops regalia on you; it's not particularly useful earlygame except for perhaps Mjolnir-bombing with a stuffed Avatar. Renown awards get better and better as you play more and more runs, though the best one (the Second Seal) is accessible very very early (after your first run or Chapter Four during your first run, iirc).

Do as you like, and have fun!

Haha yeah, I used my Renown to buy a Second Seal and now my Avatar is a Pegasus Knight (In my previous run my daughter Severa with Galeforce, Luna, Sol, Patience and Armsthrift was a killer machine, a friend of mine told me that Chrom daughters ALWAYS have Aether (Ik that Severa is only daughter of Cordelia, but I plan to make a Morgan similar to her.)

Haha yeah, I used my Renown to buy a Second Seal and now my Avatar is a Pegasus Knight (In my previous run my daughter Severa with Galeforce, Luna, Sol, Patience and Armsthrift was a killer machine, a friend of mine told me that Chrom daughters ALWAYS have Aether (Ik that Severa is only daughter of Cordelia, but I plan to make a Morgan similar to her.)

Just a note on how Renown works: you don't buy stuff with it, you unlock stuff. If you have 300 renown and get the Second Seal, you won't be left with 200 Renown, you'll still have 300 but you can't get any more Second Seals that way. Other than player restrictions, there's really no reason not to just grab everything you can. Everything in the box is one per file.

Renown is the primary method of Newgame+, as your total is saved whenever you beat the Endgame and new files automatically start with the same amount as your highest previous clear. Chapters, Prologues and Risen give 10 Renown each, while recruiting or defeating Spotpass and Streetpass units gives 50. There are some pretty nice rewards in there, I'd advise doing a bit of grinding to get your Renown up to at least 1,000.

Using Avatar-F will give you a male Morgan, by the way.

Your still starting for normal,correct?Hard is just a medium step up,getting a little harder,having to use Frederick in the beginning at times. Hard from lunatic on the other hand,is a huge step forward. Don't get me started on lunatic +.

Sorry if this is a spoiler to you,but there are up to 13 children you can get each file. A child's father/mother is very important to make the children very strong to be able to survive difficulties like lunatic and lunatic+,which is why optimal pairings exist. Keep that in mind