[UPDATE 10/27/2014] Thracia 776 XNA Remake: looking for a staff for preliminary/planning phase.

Kysafen

I don't really have ideas at the moment, besides maybe additional items or money or stuff. We might want Leaf's promotion sooner, like I feel it would fit well around chapter 13 or 14 rather than so late, since he's hurting a lot with such a late promotion. You could always add extra gaiden chapters but idk.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have ideas at the moment, besides maybe additional items or money or stuff. We might want Leaf's promotion sooner, like I feel it would fit well around chapter 13 or 14 rather than so late, since he's hurting a lot with such a late promotion. You could always add extra gaiden chapters but idk.

13 or 14? When Leaf's in a mad rush to get to Tahra before the Empire subjugates it? That isn't nearly of the same significance or sensibility of gaining the title to your kingdom (Prince) as opposed to actually rewinning your kingdom back.

Well just earlier or something. Leaf's late promotion really hurts. You could probably rewrite 9 when he meets Dorias since that's supposed to be a big moment, or 15 when he talks to the priest in the church. 9 is probably too early for a promotion though.

I could probably help write scripts now that I think about it, supports or just general ones since we'd probably want to change them for character or something.

Edited by Psych

Well not to say you can't, Arch, but you "can't" work on an FE1 remake and a FE5 at the same time. I mean, you can, but it's significantly less productive to focus on more than one major project in the meantime. And in the ever-likely chance that this project falls through, you can still do an FE5 remake!

Edited by Klokinator

I honestly love the idea of "traditional" and "nontraditional" settings (heck, perhaps you can even have a "custom" setting where you turn individual features on and off, as for dismounting, i think that you could fix the weapon rank issue by having half of earned weapon exp transfer between mounted and dismounted weapon types (and perhaps letting some more units use lances indoors). I like the concept of dismounting, though, because it helps balance the high movement and canto of mounted units. Also, the game could benefit from some explanatory dialog (like explicitly stating how escape chapters work, or specifying that you have to capture that one wyvren boss before he mounts to get the bonus chapter).

We could also cheap the fuck out and just make horses lose 3 movement indoors instead of actually implementing dismounting. Heck, making them only have 4 movement indoors would be an interesting tradeoff as your foot units would have 1 more movement than the usually faster horses.

Edited by Klokinator

We could also cheap the fuck out and just make horses lose 3 movement indoors instead of actually implementing dismounting. Heck, making them only have 4 movement indoors would be an interesting tradeoff as your foot units would have 1 more movement than the usually faster horses.

I mean I'm no coding expert but I figured something like that was what we were doing. Fake dismounting so to speak

Edited by Psych

Oh, ok. I assumed someone was actually gonna go full-blown and code a menu command that makes your class swap to a dismounted class. That'd actually be super ideal, but it also seems unnecessary so just cutting mobility indoors would work. Heck, you could just make indoor tiles have a cost of 2 for horseman so their movement is halved. That wouldn't even take a skill or anything.

We could simply make it 2 skills for all mounted units that toggles to/from mounted movement range as well as toggles the battle/map sprite pointers to/from their dismounted forms, as well as their mounted bonuses, as well as toggling weapon weakness. (Cavalry/Winged: "A rider is mightiest upon the saddle.")

If we wanted to get really technical, we'd also make an algorithm that automatically switches the skill off, should the rider move onto indoor tiles in one turn.

• 1 month later...

I seem to have missed this topic, but I think remaking FE5 is a really great idea, and I'd try to help make it work, especially since I love jugdral

I think making staffs unable to miss, but finite (FEGBA?) range would be a fair compromise. Makes them less screwy at the start and less gamebreaking at the end. Also I have strong ideas about how fatigue should have been implemented but I'm sure you don't want to hear them.

this is a good idea on paper, but it wouldn't work on a remake on its own because of how enemies are set up later in the game, they are out of the way for a reason

the map and/or their locations would need to shift, and I feel like changing either of those sort of breaks faithfulness

me personally, I feel like staff hit rate and infinite range are a system feature that helps define the game, just like the critical cap on first attacks and counter crit multiplier, 1% minimum/99% maximum hit rates, fatigue, etcetera, all together making a unique experience which motivates such fans like me to want to see a decent remake

however I don't know if getting xavier and the member card should be made to be more realistic to achieve in a regular playthrough (I have gotten xavier before but never the member card)

at the least, the secret shop ought to have some actual useful items for the trouble and/or be in an earlier chapter

• 3 weeks later...

you can make FE5 on the GBA engine

why not get a head start?

hell why stop there? you just hack the FE5 ROM and change what you don't like

Edited by Brendor

Less work

A user-friendly environment that makes game design tweaks far easier

Not needing to go through the trouble of learning ASM hacking just for the sake of editing in/out gameplay mechanics

Resire hasn't been released yet, to my knowledge, else I'd gladly re-write the dialogue for the chapters at this stage in the game, one chapter at a time.

EDIT, 1/13/15, 12:28 AM: On second thought, you know what? No. I'm going to re-write FE5's dialogue right now.

EDIT 2: I was able to whip this up in about 20 minutes

CHAPTER 1 (opening)

This is not a tale complete.
In the reflecting pool of the universe,
this is but one ripple of many within the
tempestuous waters of Jugdral.
Our tale begins with loss.
Travant, of the mountains Southern Thracia,
oblivious of the ulterior, bloodthirsty
towards the bountiful, and without mercy,
laid waste to the traveling battalion of
the Leonster district to the north, snuffing
its heir, Prince Quan, and wife, Ethlin.
Without time so as to even grieve for his son's
loss, Calf, king of Leonster, charged towards
Capital Manster, to be ambushed from behind.
Valiantly though he fought, Leonster, of the
four kingdoms of the Manster District, became
without its king upon that day.
A child robbed of his parents. A child robbed
of his grandfather. A child robbed of his
inheritance, homeland and heritage.
This is the tale of how Leif, the heir to
Leonster, rose and reclaimed not only what
was lost, but the Manster District itself.
At the age of two, Leif saw the fires of
his father's castle, citizens, and kingdom,
while lying in the arms of Finn. Quan's most
trusted and proven squire, he took with him
only himself, his liege, and his daughter.
But the path was not clear. The might of the
Grann Empire had spread throughout the Manster
district, in search of the young heir apparent.
Their Empire's search, believing the end
justifies any and all means, left Leif in an
adolescence of generous, yet fleeting sanctuary.
Leif grew to appreciate the cultures, societal
norms, townsfolk, and most grateful of all,
the shelter of the cities Tahra, Alster...
...fleeing from town to town, before finally
finding humble lodging and, eventually,
belonging, in the eastern village of Fiana.
A hamlet of stewardship, Fiana, under the
governing of a warrior who went by the name
of Eyvel,
sought to protect the villages made vulnerable
from the Grann Empire's harsh taxation from
bandits and thieves.
But Leif knew what caused the villages to become
such easy pickings, and what drove men to the
desperation of brigandage.
Yet, in his newfound community with Fiana, along
with the gratification of his work to protect
the nearby villas,
Leif's regard of outrage for the Grann Empire,
whom had left such misery in their search,
had been left without a spark.
And so our story begins to unfold... with a spark.

Is this project still active? Because I would absolutely love to help work on this.

Fine by me: Look at the positions/necessary assets the project requires, and post what you can do.

Edited by Kysafen

You really, really, do not understand the disparity between 'amount of effort required to execute upon a project' and 'available time/resources/interest and reward'.

Anyway, if you all are serious about rewriting the dialogue, the original Japanese script can be found here: http://www.pegasusknight.com/mb/fe5/st_index.html

I redid up to 15 or so at one point.

Edited by Siuloir

You really, really, do not understand the disparity between 'amount of effort required to execute upon a project' and 'available time/resources/interest and reward'.

Anyway, if you all are serious about rewriting the dialogue, the original Japanese script can be found here: http://www.pegasusknight.com/mb/fe5/st_index.html

I redid up to 15 or so at one point.

An entire retranslation of the original script is both beyond my skillset and, ultimately, not my intent. I have every intention of editing the script for the purposes of improving characterization, conversational flow, and delivery of information, or to put it bluntly: if the way it was originally written sucks or could be written better, then I vote complete faith to the original script be damned. On the same hand, that's also going to require taking constructive criticism of my prose... from an actual literary standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

On the same hand, that's also going to require taking constructive criticism of my prose... from an actual literary standpoint.

Not that I'm a literary genius or anything, but if that's what will help I'll give it my best shot. Responses in bold.

CHAPTER 1 (opening)

This is not a tale complete.
I'm not sure how well that flows. Does "This is a tale not yet complete" sound any better?
In the reflecting pool of the universe,
this is but one ripple of many within the
tempestuous waters of Jugdral.
You're saying "this is" pretty close to where it was in the last paragraph. If that's intentional, you might want to add it one more time- maybe change the next line to "This is a tale that begins with loss" or something. On the other hand, if it's not, you may want to remove the reflecting pool line and change that paragraph to "It is but one of many ripples within the tempestuous waters of Jugdral's history" or something.
Our tale begins with loss.
If this text is going to be over the top of a train of images, that line is fine (haven't played Thracia, don't know what the opening looks like). If it's just scrolling or something, having this single line here feels awkward and it could probably be left out.
Travant, of the mountains Southern Thracia,
oblivious of the ulterior, bloodthirsty
towards the bountiful, and without mercy,
laid waste to the traveling battalion of
the Leonster district to the north, snuffing
its heir, Prince Quan, and wife, Ethlin.
Mountains should be mountainous. Oblivious of the ulterior sounds nice, but what does it mean? "The Leonster District to the north" is also a bit unwieldy, you may want to change it to specifically reference Quan going to Sigurd's aid. That's certainly more interesting, at least.
Without time so as to even grieve for his son's
loss, Calf, king of Leonster, charged towards
Capital Manster, to be ambushed from behind.
Valiantly though he fought, Leonster, of the
four kingdoms of the Manster District, became
without its king upon that day.
"His son's loss" should be "the loss of his son". This paragraph is pretty short on explanation, and I don't know how it is normally but you should probably add a line about Raydrick's treachery and at least who he was fighting.
A child robbed of his parents. A child robbed
of his grandfather. A child robbed of his
inheritance, homeland and heritage.
Assuming there will be an image of Finn and Leif fleeing the castle here, otherwise there wouldn't be enough context.
This is the tale of how Leif, the heir to
Leonster, rose and reclaimed not only what
was lost, but the Manster District itself.
But he didn't reclaim all that he lost (parents, etc)- Leonster should be called by name here. Also it might be better to refer to Leif as Quan's son rather than the heir to Leonster.
At the age of two, Leif saw the fires of
his father's castle, citizens, and kingdom,
while lying in the arms of Finn. Quan's most
trusted and proven squire, he took with him
only himself, his liege, and his daughter.
I think there's a punctuation error or two here. Make the first two lines be one sentence, change line 3's period to a comma and replace everything after squire to be a bit more direct that they're escaping (possibly no need to mention Nanna).
But the path was not clear. The might of the Path to where? Mention where they're going (even if it's just general safety).
Grann Empire had spread throughout the Manster
district, in search of the young heir apparent.
Their Empire's search, believing the end
justifies any and all means, left Leif in an
adolescence of generous, yet fleeting sanctuary. Possibly too bulky. Try "The Empire's brutal search left Leif with an adolescence/childhood of generous, yet fleeting sanctuary..." And maybe mention something about the bad stuff that happens to folks who are found to have protected him.
Leif grew to appreciate the cultures, societal
norms, townsfolk, and most grateful of all, Cut grateful and the last comma.
the shelter of the cities Tahra, Alster... Are the ellipses where more city names will go? If not, consider removing them and using a period.
...fleeing from town to town, before finally "Fleeing from town to town" needs something. Try "As time passed, they (Leif, Finn, Nanna) fled from town to town..."
finding humble lodging and, eventually,
belonging, in the eastern village of Fiana.
A hamlet of stewardship, Fiana, under the Cut "Fiana"...
governing of a warrior who went by the name No need for "who went".
of Eyvel, And put it back here. "Fiana sought to protect the villages..."
sought to protect the villages made vulnerable
from the Grann Empire's harsh taxation from
bandits and thieves. Sounds slightly as if the villages are vulnerable due to thieves being taxed. Maybe "sought to protect the villages made vulnerable to thieves by the empire's harsh taxation..." or something.
desperation of brigandage. Needs a line explaining what it is Leif knows about.
Yet, in his newfound community with Fiana, along
with the gratification of his work to protect
the nearby villas,
Leif's regard of outrage for the Grann Empire, Cut "regard of".
whom had left such misery in their search,
had been left without a spark.
And so our story begins to unfold... with a spark.

Is that the kind of critique/editing you're looking for?

• 2 weeks later...

Oblivious of the ulterior sounds nice, but what does it mean?

Travant sought to kill off Leonster's heir as well as claim the GaeBolg for his own with the end goal of eventually conquering the Manster District to unite it into a united Thracia (which was actually represented in his dialogue in the original Thracia 776), HOWEVER, the act of killing Quan was an ulterior motive of Bishop Veld, who with his allegiance to the Loptyr Sect, wanted to kill off all the bloodlines of the 12 Crusaders.

Manfroy, the Archbishop (Pope?) of the Lopt sect wanted to kill them off so as

1. to nothing stand in the way of Loptyr after his planned reincarnation (resurrection?)
  2. a gesture of love and goodwill to Loptyr, a gift to someone who was bested by these "12 Crusaders."

Basically, Travant was manipulated into killing Quan by Veld (the game's final boss), unaware of the Lopt Sect's ulterior motive of extinguishing the Crusader's bloodline.

Also, the player asking "ulterior? bwuh?" is basically my point: it's a line that only makes sense once the player has completed the game and knows the bigger picture.

governing of a warrior who went by the name

No need for "who went".

I was originally going to write "who then went by the name," but that might have seemed too obvious. I might, considering "who then went by the name" implies that's not the only name she went by... which if anyone knows who Evayle really is, should know what I mean. It might be arbitrary to this specific context, but I also want to capture the bigger picture here, for those who'd play Thracia 776 AND Seisen no Keifu.

desperation of brigandage.
Needs a line explaining what it is Leif knows about.
I was planning on writing a section (possibly during when Leif encounters the Dandelion Bandits, hell, even when Leif chats with Pirn) about the increasing number of bandits that rose along with the Empire, and that it's the Empire's fault for its increases in their taxation, when the money, in the hands of its citizens, could have been used to facilitate more jobs for its citizens. As the Empire's taxes grew more and more, jobs had to be cut, people couldn't earn a living, and more people were driven to the point of desperation, to thievery, all because of the Empire. It illustrates the negative effects of the Empire's reign on a very small scale. Again, another thing the players won't get until a second playthrough.

Is that the kind of critique/editing you're looking for?

Absolutely.

Edited by Kysafen