Mewtwo Confirmed! (Smash Direct)

Esme

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading something a few weeks ago about Sakurai saying it's hard to create a character based on Melee's code because the code was so old. There is no way that he wasn't referring to Mewtwo when he said that, because every other character that hasn't been in a Smash game since Melee was a clone that could simply be remade using the Smash 4 code of the character they're a clone of (Dr. Mario is the only semi-exception due to the Tornado, but Sakurai managed to get him in). Maybe that was a pre-emptive explanation for why Mewtwo wasn't ready for release and had to be made DLC? If so, the outlook isn't as good as we think for other DLC characters because that would make Mewtwo a special case (DLC Ice Climbers would probably be the only other possibility due to also having unique circumstances that prevented them from getting into the game, provided more time allows Sakurai to get them to work on the 3DS).

I'm just worried about how to acquire Mewtwo. My brother and I have our own copies of Smash 3DS, but we'll be sharing a Wii U version, and it looks like you only get one Mewtwo per pair since it's through Club Nintendo registration. I hope they make him available in some form for anyone who doesn't buy both games. It would suck if only one of my brother and me could have Mewtwo on 3DS...

I be surprised (not that surprised, but pretty surprised) if they didn't have SOME way to share between multiple 3DS versions; it could even be something like the codes they did for the demo.

OR Nintendo could just like, not do that. And honestly that's reasonable, since they don't owe us anything on this; getting the character free on two systems is already a pretty sweet deal.

No, they never mentioned anything about how players with only one version of the game will acquire Mewtwo. Your link even says Mewtwo will only be available for people who buy both versions. It also doesn't confirm any date more specific than what we got in the direct (Spring 2015).

OR Nintendo could just like, not do that. And honestly that's reasonable, since they don't owe us anything on this; getting the character free on two systems is already a pretty sweet deal.

Oh, yes. Nintendo is sooo generous.

Seriously, let's not pretent that this is not just a marketing trick to get people to buy both versions. They never mentioned anything about the possiblity of getting Mewtwo any other way and given how desperate they are that the success of the 3DS carries over to the Wii U, there probably won't ever be one. And buying two versions of the same game for one single extra character is NOT a good deal.

Edited by BrightBow

Oh, yes. Nintendo is sooo generous.

Seriously, let's not pretent that this is not just a marketing trick to get people to buy both versions. They never mentioned anything about the possiblity of getting Mewtwo any other way. And buying two versions of the same game for one single extra character is NOT a good deal.

lol when did I say that?

I said getting a character for free on two systems is a good deal

something for nothing = good deal

TWICE something for nothing = good deal

"wow this restaurant provides dessert with dinner, what a ripoff! I can't believe I'm buying a whole meal just to get a dessert!"

(this isn't even a proper analogy because the cost of the dessert is probably factored into the price of the meal)

EDIT: and before you delve into pedantry, yes, you can buy dessert by itself at this restaurant

Edited by Euklyd

lol when did I say that?

I said getting a character for free on two systems is a good deal

something for nothing = good deal

TWICE something for nothing = good deal

"wow this restaurant provides dessert with dinner, what a ripoff! I can't believe I'm buying a whole meal just to get a dessert!"

(this isn't even a proper analogy because the cost of the dessert is probably factored into the price of the meal)

For now, the price for the character for the 3DS version is that of a full Wii U game. That's hardly free.

Especially since it's not unlikely to have more then one copy of the 3DS game in your household but there is little reason to have several copies of a console game, which is what the post you responded to was about.

Edited by BrightBow

As for now, the price for the character for the 3DS version is that of a full Wii U game. That's hardly free.

Mewtwo already wasn't going to be in the game

on the off-chance it turns out that you can't buy Mewtwo on its own later I will be annoyed and admit you were partially right on this

as it is you're complaining entirely because of your own cynical assumptions after seeing literally less than a minute of announcement footage

Mewtwo already wasn't going to be in the game

on the off-chance it turns out that you can't buy Mewtwo on its own later I will be annoyed and admit you were partially right on this

as it is you're complaining entirely because of your own cynical assumptions after seeing literally less than a minute of announcement footage

It's not cynical to assume that the stuff mentioned in the footage is actually true. It will be avaible for those who buy both versions. If they were planning anything else, they would have mentioned it there.

And what I am complaining is the complication of your past post that this procedure doesn't leave households like those of Red Fox in a shitty situation, were the only way to get the character for all 3DS games in the household is to buy several version of a console game that they won't ever need otherwise. Don't forget the context of your initial post that I replied to:

I be surprised (not that surprised, but pretty surprised) if they didn't have SOME way to share between multiple 3DS versions; it could even be something like the codes they did for the demo.

It's really only a sweet deal if you have only one copy and were planning to get the Wii U version anyway. For everyone else, it's hardly resonable.

Edited by BrightBow

It's not cynical to assume that the stuff mentioned in the footage is actually true. It will be avaible for those who buy both versions.

And what I am complaining is the complication of your past post that this procedure doesn't leave households like those of Red Fox in a shitty situation were the only way to get the character is to buy a second version of a console game that they won't need. Don't forget the context of your initial post:

yeah see here's the thing

I'm also making assumptions that once the ~special promotion~ window runs out Nintendo will want to continue making money and that Mewtwo will be available to buy then - if not sooner

currently I am quite happy with things because I'm assuming the best of people

on the other hand, you have chosen to interpret things in the worst light when given limited information, and you seem rather less pleased with this whole thing

(also, it's not like my assumptions being wrong wouldn't suck for my family; we're in the same boat as RFoF's)

It's the game you register. Wii U accounts have nothing to do with it.

Maybe you or Matt can register your copy with someone else who doesn't have the 3DS version. Then everyone gets a free Mewtwo.

The NoE tweet seems to suggest that Mewtwo will be free for people who buy the 3DS and Wii U version during a promo period, but that Mewtwo will be buyable by conventional means for everyone else. It would be colossally stupid for Nintendo to force people to buy a game for a system they might not already have just for one character. Plus there might be households with multiple copies of the 3DS but only one console, and that just would not be cool if only one person could have Mewtwo.

Said tweet: https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/525415360242393088

The language is slightly ambiguous, I admit, but it still seems like he will be for sale by conventional means due to the whole "promotional period" bit.

Maybe you or Matt can register your copy with someone else who doesn't have the 3DS version. Then everyone gets a free Mewtwo.

That was an idea I thought of. Not sure how to make it work, but it would be a great outcome.

yeah see here's the thing

I'm also making assumptions that once the ~special promotion~ window runs out Nintendo will want to continue making money and that Mewtwo will be available to buy then - if not sooner

currently I am quite happy with things because I'm assuming the best of people

on the other hand, you have chosen to interpret things in the worst light when given limited information, and you seem rather less pleased with this whole thing

(also, it's not like my assumptions being wrong wouldn't suck for my family; we're in the same boat as RFoF's)

I would like to believe that but we are talking about the same company that offered the "Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition" as a free download for a limited period and then never made it available in any form ever again. No paid download or anything else.

It's kinda daunting to have a multiplayer game that I will never get to play with anyone because it was only briefly available in the 3DS' early life and I was the only one I know with a 3DS back then. But Nintendo doesn't seem to want the money of my friends for some reason.

And of course companies consist of actual people. I just wish that with all the talk about companies not owing anything to the people who give them money, it should not be forgotten that their customers don't own them anything either.

Like, Nintendo is currently plastering flashy DLC advertisement banners over the main menu of Hyrule Warriors, right over the background illustrations that accompanies each currently selected menu option. I'm sure these banners bring Nintendo additional DLC sales because they are so hard to ignore but shoving those intrusive advertisements in the face of their customers shows a lack of respect towards them because they have paid plenty of money for the game already.

Edited by BrightBow

For the record, they offered Four Swords twice (well, three times if you want yo split hairs: once for the DSi the 3DS between September and February of 2011-12, and again for the 3DS from January to February in 2014. The game was also a special anniversary game originally celebrating Zelda's 25th and later the success of A Link Between Worlds. Yes it is a bummer that it only had limited releases and was hard to come by, but it was only released for a special occassion. On top of that, it was something that was 100% absolutely free.

It's not exactly a fair comparison to a piece of DLC that will only be free to those that participate in a deal, and even then is all but guaranteed to be available to everyone else as paid DLC.

Edited by Kon

For the record, they offered Four Swords twice (well, three times if you want yo split hairs: once for the DSi the 3DS between September and February of 2011-12, and again for the 3DS from January to February in 2014. The game was also a special anniversary game originally celebrating Zelda's 25th and later the success of A Link Between Worlds. Yes it is a bummer that it only had limited releases and was hard to come by, but it was only released for a special occassion. On top of that, it was something that was 100% absolutely free.

It's not exactly a fair comparison to a piece of DLC that will only be free to those that participate in a deal, and even then is all but guaranteed to be available to everyone else as paid DLC.

That second release was only in the US actually.

Anyway, my point is that Nintendo is perfectly fine with letting a piece of software transit from "special event" to "completely unavailable, even if you trade in your firstborn". Even if it's digital-only multiplayer game with no download play that requires other people to get anything out of it.

To come back to Hyrule Warriors, the pre-order costumes have also yet to be made available to others. They can't be bought with money either.

Edited by BrightBow

That second release was only in the US actually.

Anyway, my point is that Nintendo is perfectly fine with letting a piece of software transit from "special event" to "completely unavailable, even if you trade in your firstborn". Even if it's digital-only multiplayer game with no download play that requires other people to get anything out of it.

To come back to Hyrule Warriors, the pre-order costumes have also yet to be made available to others. They can't be bought with money either.

I wasn't aware it was US only, sorry.

I'm not saying that it's fair of Nintendo to do that, because it's not, but it was a special event for a reason.

I can't really say much on Hyrule Warriors, since I don't have it, but don't they already have plans to distribute the costume DLC?