When did Harry x Ginny start happening

Junkhead

I've only read books 3 & 4 and have watched all the movies. However, regarding the 6th, they don't really give context as to when Harry x Ginny start liking each other and stuff...I mean, they kind of hint that Ginny likes him, going way back to the 2nd. BUT, Harry didn't really have any feelings for her...then, all of sudden, they start going at it from the start of the 6th?

JK Rowling has said herself, that was Ginny's point from the start.

In fact it's first on screen girl wins for both Harry and Ron. Ginny is the first non related girl Harry meets in the books, while Hermione is the same for Ron.

I believe it was either the 5th or the 6th book, but basically Harry catches Ginny with Dean Thomas in the hallway one night. Ron gets really angry and is like 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!!' and Harry feels like 'a great monster awoke in his chest' or something to that effect. And he was suddenly super jealous and angry about it too, and spent a long time telling himself that he was only feeling like that because he viewed Ginny as a sister. That sort of thing. It WAS super abrupt in the book, could've been a lot better handled, IMO. And I still think that Harry and Hermione together make way more sense than anything else, but...that's just my opinion ;)

I misread the topic title as "When did Henry x Grima start happening"

...and I just read that as "'When did Harry x Grima start happening'"

oh. lawd.

I believe it was either the 5th or the 6th book, but basically Harry catches Ginny with Dean Thomas in the hallway one night. Ron gets really angry and is like 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!!' and Harry feels like 'a great monster awoke in his chest' or something to that effect. And he was suddenly super jealous and angry about it too, and spent a long time telling himself that he was only feeling like that because he viewed Ginny as a sister. That sort of thing. It WAS super abrupt in the book, could've been a lot better handled, IMO. And I still think that Harry and Hermione together make way more sense than anything else, but...that's just my opinion ;)

Because screw Cho, right?

I also read that Rowling regrets coupling Hermione and Ron.

WHY

Edited by Juliet

I also read that Rowling regrets coupling Hermione and Ron.

I read this too, then read it was a misquote, which I'm inclined to believe tbh. She seems the sort to stand by these decisions.

I don't really mind, but I do think Harry x Ginny makes sense. A bit of more context would be appreciated, but I like them together.

Did Harry just forget about Cho, though?

Well in the movie it's kind of weird because the break between him and Cho is because she reveals where the DA is, but that ends up being because of Veritaserum and then she doesn't really come back. But in the book they go on a date and she gets really jealous of his friendship with Hermione and storms out midway and it's kind of a disaster.

And yeah I think Rowling always planned Harry x Ginny (since Ron x Hermione was telegraphed from as early as the 2nd book even), which then makes me ??? as Ginny could easily have had a bigger role in the third and fourth books. She has essentially no role in the third book and her only appearance in the fourth book AFAICR is when Harry's trying to get a date. I mean, Ginny went through something extremely traumatic in the second book and I've always been disappointed that we never really saw the immediate aftermath of that. I think it would have made her a deeper character that people liked more.

The movies also hype Harry x Hermione a lot (to the extent that they had to add in a scene in the 6th movie where Harry tells Dumbledore he doesn't like Hermione that way, which I always thought was pretty funny). I don't think it was done intentionally so much as being a product of the fact that they gave a good chunk of Ron's lines to Hermione and then Hermione and Harry ended up being better looking than Ron after they grew older.

Edited by BBM

I don't know why people get so angry with Ron x Hermione, I was a little kid and I already figured that was where there relationship was heading.

The movies also hype Harry x Hermione a lot (to the extent that they had to add in a scene in the 6th movie where Harry tells Dumbledore he doesn't like Hermione that way, which I always thought was pretty funny). I don't think it was done intentionally so much as being a product of the fact that they gave a good chunk of Ron's lines to Hermione and then Hermione and Harry ended up being better looking than Ron after they grew older.

;u; Makes me want to watch the 6th again. And again...really, it's those small parts of humour and "casual" novel-like setting of the 6th movie that makes me like it so much.

Why can't the others be like the 6th. ;u;

Well in the movie it's kind of weird because the break between him and Cho is because she reveals where the DA is, but that ends up being because of Veritaserum and then she doesn't really come back. But in the book they go on a date and she gets really jealous of his friendship with Hermione and storms out midway and it's kind of a disaster.

On a sidenote; from memory it was Cho's friend who gave it up in the book? And by her own free will, since she was an annoying beta?

Harry and Hermione should have ended up together.

I also think Ron x Ginny would've made a great couple.

so incest rite