• Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon
    • Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess
    • The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
    • Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
    • Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
    • Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
    • Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
    • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess

How do you avoid the weird spirit loops in Needle Mountain of Former Hell Normal? I'm fine with the micrododging, but I can't figure out how to deal with the loops/don't see them and die.

But I've gotten Cat Walk and Zombie Fairy (that's Rin's first boss spell, right?) so yay.

• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Komeiji Koishi

• Pull My Devil Trigger

• Lance Masayoshi

How do you avoid the weird spirit loops in Needle Mountain of Former Hell Normal? I'm fine with the micrododging, but I can't figure out how to deal with the loops/don't see them and die.

It's very difficult to notice while you're actively playing, but the spirit wheels are aimed. If you always move from your previous spot a certain fixed distance whenever you hear the sound of the next wave of wheels appearing, they'll never hit you, so you can mostly ignore them.

As RAYKITTY said, the spirit wheels are aimed. But it depends on which difficulty you're playing. In Easy, the spirit wheels are aimed at your sides (not at you), so if you maintain your position or return to your original location after dodging, you'll avoid the wheels. On Normal+, the center of the wheels are aimed directly at you, so you need to reposition across a distance of a little more than the wheel radius (micrododging bullets on the way) in order to avoid them.

fyi I find it to be Rin's most difficult boss spell. I do find it easier than Cat Walk though, at least on Normal.

As RAYKITTY said, the spirit wheels are aimed. But it depends on which difficulty you're playing. In Easy, the spirit wheels are aimed at your sides (not at you), so if you maintain your position or return to your original location after dodging, you'll avoid the wheels. On Normal+, the center of the wheels are aimed directly at you, so you need to reposition across a distance of a little more than the wheel radius (micrododging bullets on the way) in order to avoid them.

fyi I find it to be Rin's most difficult boss spell. I do find it easier than Cat Walk though, at least on Normal.

Yeah, I was surprised, since I was expecting pure micrododging (I can pull that off, the pattern is rigid enough that without the aimed wheels I find it simple. I think people up-play that portion's difficulty and forget the reason that portion gives trouble to begin with.)

Cat Walk takes practice but once you get used to it it comes naturally. I can capture it with okay consistency now.

Zombie Fairy is LETS MOVE IN CIRCLES at least on Normal.

The thing where she draws circles around you is a joke on easy. Then the spirals on the NM version wake you up.

I don't really find Needle Mountain to be particularly difficult anymore (like most of SA, it becomes trivial once you learn it) but I think it was the fact that you have to concentrate on both the dense bullets AND the timing+position of the spirit wheels at the same time that made it annoying. With enough practice, you can subconsciously memorize the spirit wheel frequency and avoid them with ease.

Cat Walk is static AFAIK so I'm not surprised that it gets really simple once you master it. Unfortunately, I haven't mastered the Normal version yet, hehe

Zombie Fairies depends on your shot type. If you're playing as MarisaA or MarisaB, the spread shot completely wrecks it (sit at the bottom center and murder everything). Other shot types have to go through more complex strategies like luring the fairies to a corner, or simply circling around Rin.

Spleen Eater (spirals) is still pretty simple, even on Normal, but I find myself bumping into spirits or Rin plenty of times, which is annoying >_>

YES EVEN IF i DON'T PLAY TOHOU MUCH ANYMORE THIS THREAD IS RESURRECTED (also sorry glac I don't know)

lol Enoshima-san

Also fuck Normal modes I play on Hard now.

I just a lost a lot of motivation to play touhou currently.

and oh hey just saw the scoring system for MOF, seems like dodonpachi chaining except more fun since it seems to be more lenient. Hmm might just get back into touhou now lol.

Edited by Junk

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=36689

PCB Hard

624m with MarisaB

hell yeah

I just a lost a lot of motivation to play touhou currently.

and oh hey just saw the scoring system for MOF, seems like dodonpachi chaining except more fun since it seems to be more lenient. Hmm might just get back into touhou now lol.

MoF scoring is pretty much 'gather/conserve your faith, capture things, and don't die'.

you must've been really bored

yep, seems really similar to dodonpachi in the sense that you always want to make sure you're killing things so the faith meter doesn't go down. Seems kind of tough to decide when i'll go fore the POC so the point items are worth more. I'm just glad the faith meter doesn't just reset instantly like the chain does in dodonpachi if you're not currently hitting something which makes me much more excited.

Not feeling right now so it will have to wait but yeah. Thinking i'll probably try to score with reimu B since reimu a might kill to many things at once.