First time playing this, want advice on my proposed team

Badnik96

I'm at Chapter 8 right now, and after reading through a few of the threads here I've been thinking of making a list of the characters I'm going to use so I know how many to promote.

Here's what I have so far:

Roy

Allen

Lance

Dieck

Lugh

Rutger

Clarine/Saul (haven't decided yet)

Sue

Astore

Shin

Gonzales/Geese (haven't met either but I can't decide between Gonzales' personality or Geese's name)

Ray

Milady

Fae

Note I'm only at Chapter 8 so far, and this is my first FE game so I really only have the basics down and don't really know how my character stats stack up.

So, what do you guys think?

Edited by Badnik96

chad is not a combat unit and is pretty much replaced by astol, the thief you get in chapter 8 since he has higher durability, better sword rank if he has to be used and comes in with better bases. if you want to keep using chad go ahead but since all thieves are pretty terrible at combat in this game, and can't promote there is not much reason to try to try to train one.

other than that there isn't really a problem with your team but you should consider dropping echidna as a long term unit, she doesn't really keep up too well. throw in percival or niime in there instead maybe. geese is also not very good but admittedly gonzales on NM isn't either (gonzales is definitely better though)

Edited by Irysa

if this is NM, rutger is quite mediocre, and gonzalez is almost as bad as geese.

and there's nothing stopping you from using both clarine and sau aside from deployment slotsl. clarine is very good at casual pace.

Edited by dondon151

Consider picking Zeltos and Marcus on field on some chapters. They are quite good rescuebots and have not so bad combat because right weapon ranks.

Don't forget about Noah, his 7 base mov and high level.

Overall your team is quite good.

And two healers on a field is very good many times, so IMo you should also pick sometimes Cecila who have 8 mov and healing powers and high dmg against wyverns(you will need that).

Edited by Nicolas

Okay. The three guys that show up halfway through chapter 8, do you need to join them with the main party to recruit them? or can they sit in the corner for the entire mission? Because I keep having Wendy or the mercenary guy die, and tbh I can't be assed to keep resetting.

So I got to basically 3 turns after that before I got stuck in a situation that would either make me lose Rutger or Roy, so I had to restart, and now I can't get to Cath without sacrificing Thany.

Is the rest of the game like this? :V

edit: testing confirms that it's impossible to talk to Cath in my current scenario. Fuck it, guess I'm getting her later than usual. CBA to redo half the chapter a third time.

edit 2: FORGOT ABOUT THE DAMN SECOND TREASURE ROOM. RESTARTING CHAPTER

Edited by Badnik96

I'm going to guess you already know this, but if you want a legendary weapon, keep Lilina alive in Chapter 8; the additional chapter will come automatically after completing Chapter 8. It offers your newly-recruited units a chance to gain some levels (which, in your case, will probably be Sue), since the enemies are generally weaker than in the previous two chapters

Also, seconding gringe's translation patch; the plot gets portrayed better, and the overall writing is to a better quality. Just don't apply it on a ROM with an unfinished playthrough, since it'll increase your units' stats quite a bit--it'll make the game a lot easier

After 2 restarts and a boss that took a literal hour, I've finally beaten Chapter 8 :D

Now I get to go through the Gaiden chapter. let's see how this goes.

edit: Quick question, should I wait till level 20 to promote anyone?

Edited by Badnik96

It's up to you, honestly. I mean, in my current HM data, I didn't promote Rutger until he was around 14 or 15--didn't want any trouble with 8x's boss. If your units are starting to cap their stats that grow the easiest(Deke/Dieck, for example, can afford an early promotion, if his Skill and Speed are capped), then I see no reason not to. Getting someone to level 20/20 in this game isn't really worth it

I don't recommend to promote the units, if they don't have reached level 20.

In FE6 it's very unlikely that an unit maxes out more than 1-2 stats. Even if a myrmidon or a pegasus knight maxes skill and speed, I wouldn't promote, because you'll only lose stats by an early promotion.

Early promotion only really work in FE10 because of the bexp. system.

Edited by The Taninator