So I've never really understood this (Death Note)

Knight

Why in the hell do people think that Light is a sympathetic character at all? Or that he could possibly be redeemed? He's a homicidal sociopath with delusions of grandeur. Don't get me wrong, I think Light is an interesting character and is entertaining to watch, but seriously, why would you ever defend the guy? Perhaps I can see that you could call him somewhat of a good guy in the beginning of the series, even after he killls

the FBI Agents and even Naomi

but after he kills

L

it's pretty obvious that he's a giant dick in a bishonen coating. The only reason I can come up with is because he's just such a pretty boy, but that doesn't explain how the male fanbase can defend him. I don't think it was the author's intention for him to be sympathetic beyond that point either.

Because he is an edgey child with something mildly resembling the intelligence other edgey children wish they had?

I think it's because you see things from his perspective. No matter how horrible a person is, you care about them if you are put in their shoes.

Compare with A Clockwork Orange.

"The good of the many comes before the good of the few"

Light does kill police when they get in his way, but he kills presumably millions of criminals first, and his goal is to eradicate all crime. It's something no other single human could pull off, and it was something the Shinigami never expected. He has a clear plan, he out-thinks everyone, he's always ten steps ahead. To be honest, the only thing the show fails on is the second season, where Light has somehow lost all his brains and he blunders stupidly into situations that before then would never have caught him.

He's charismatic and antisocial at the same time, but also narcissistic. He may kill a few FBI agents, but after killing all those criminals, he made a pretty great world for the law abiding citizens. If the law had just ignored him, the crime problem would have been solved in a few years.

I mean, let's assume for a second that the law had completely ignored him. Let's say they said "Oh god this guy's murdering people, but only those who commit horrific crimes. Let's let him do it." then what would have happened. Nobody would murder anymore (Unless they were literally blinded by fury, which is unavoidable.) and rape/assault would drop to insignificant levels. Things like theft and etc could be left to the police. Small crimes for the cops, big crimes for Kira. You'll also notice that he was only originally killing criminals who had already been convicted or who were in the process of committing a violent crime, like that group of guys who were attacking the woman in episode 1, or the man with the hostages in that same episode. I would only draw the line if he was killing people who had not yet been convicted and were still awaiting trial, which he never did.

Why only the male fanbase?

But anyway I gave up thinking he had a heart at the point when he felt absolutely no remorse over the death of his own father except over the fact that he couldn't get Mello's name (although at that point I was still only barely holding on to some shred of hope that he even had a heart)

EDIT ATTENTION if you fsr are reading this topic and haven't read/watched all of Death Note and don't want to read spoilers on deaths FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SKIP RABBATTACK'S POST DOWN THERE clearly he does not care for spoiler tagging huge spoilers or entering a spoiler alert

EDIT 2 ATTENTION WATCH OUT FOR QUOTES OF HIS POST AS WELL OMG

Edited by Freohr Datia

Why in the hell do people think that Light is a sympathetic character at all? Or that he could possibly be redeemed? He's a homicidal sociopath with delusions of grandeur. Don't get me wrong, I think Light is an interesting character and is entertaining to watch, but seriously, why would you ever defend the guy? Perhaps I can see that you could call him somewhat of a good guy in the beginning of the series, even after he killls

the FBI Agents and even Naomi

but after he kills

L

it's pretty obvious that he's a giant dick in a bishonen coating. The only reason I can come up with is because he's just such a pretty boy, but that doesn't explain how the male fanbase can defend him. I don't think it was the author's intention for him to be sympathetic beyond that point either.

well my reason is that i chose to pretend the second half doesnt exist, lets be honest who doesnt, so the only moments where his true depravity shows is how he treats misa, which is pretty bad. but light as a character is unique among every manga i've read. as a protagonist the reader hates him, he's cold manipulative, conniving, and arrogant. but oda does an amazing thing with the plot. he makes lights cause something everybody can sympathize with. so while people begin to develop a distaste for his methods and his personality they still sympathize with his cause and as such try to make excuse for him.

Light does kill police when they get in his way, but he kills presumably millions of criminals first, and his goal is to eradicate all crime. It's something no other single human could pull off, and it was something the Shinigami never expected. He has a clear plan, he out-thinks everyone, he's always ten steps ahead. To be honest, the only thing the show fails on is the second season, where Light has somehow lost all his brains and he blunders stupidly into situations that before then would never have caught him.

He's charismatic and antisocial at the same time, but also narcissistic. He may kill a few FBI agents, but after killing all those criminals, he made a pretty great world for the law abiding citizens. If the law had just ignored him, the crime problem would have been solved in a few years.

I mean, let's assume for a second that the law had completely ignored him. Let's say they said "Oh god this guy's murdering people, but only those who commit horrific crimes. Let's let him do it." then what would have happened. Nobody would murder anymore (Unless they were literally blinded by fury, which is unavoidable.) and rape/assault would drop to insignificant levels. Things like theft and etc could be left to the police. Small crimes for the cops, big crimes for Kira. You'll also notice that he was only originally killing criminals who had already been convicted or who were in the process of committing a violent crime, like that group of guys who were attacking the woman in episode 1, or the man with the hostages in that same episode. I would only draw the line if he was killing people who had not yet been convicted and were still awaiting trial, which he never did.

Well, I'm not gonna enter a philosophical debate, but even assuming that his actions were positive, it doesn't change the fact that he does it so sadisticly, he enjoys and takes pleasure from outwitting the police and getting away with murder under L's watch. He takes pleasure when the people who care about him he uses as pawns are successfully sacrificed.

But anyway I gave up thinking he had a heart at the point when he felt absolutely no remorse over the death of his own father except over the fact that he couldn't get Mello's name (although at that point I was still only barely holding on to some shred of hope that he even had a heart)

This too.

Also, he does kill a lot of small criminals for testing purposes and when he needs to kill somebody for a plan.

He also says he'll eventually move on to killing lazy and unproductive people much later in the series.

Who knows how many wrongfully convicted or accused criminals he killed without regret as well.

Light intentionally killed people who loved him to garner sympathy and get closer to the investigative team that was hunting him down.

That bad may not outweigh the good but it is very senseless in the grand scheme of things.

At the start, with the naivety (First few episodes/volumes) only killing criminals, I think he is. It's the transition to anti-hero, and then to villain (With the Yotsuba arc as a massive 'is he going to become a good guy' 'No!''')

Personally, it's the ambiguity of the offset which makes it interesting (Plus my fave arc is the Yotsuba dual genii at work)...

I supported Kira through the whole series. After he killed the FBI agents and Penbers wife I didn't care at all. Once Light killed L I laughed so hard, sometimes I go on youtube just to watch that scene, I always try to hold in my laugh with an ugly smirk on my face. When Takada died I didn't care either. When Light dug his own grave by getting cocky at the end, when he was covered in bullet holes, that broke my heart, that tore my soul apart. The god of the new world was dying, I always feel sad watching that scene over and over again. His evil Kira laugh always made me happy, sometimes I would imitate it.

I do consider the deaths of a couple cops, family, or detectives to be worth the deaths of millions of criminals. I wouldn't have to live in fear in Kira's new world because I'm not a criminal and never will be.

I supported Kira through the whole series. After he killed the FBI agents and Penbers wife I didn't care at all. Once Light killed L I laughed so hard, sometimes I go on youtube just to watch that scene, I always try to hold in my laugh with an ugly smirk on my face. When Takada died I didn't care either. When Light dug his own grave by getting cocky at the end, when he was covered in bullet holes, that broke my heart, that tore my soul apart. The god of the new world was dying, I always feel sad watching that scene over and over again. His evil Kira laugh always made me happy, sometimes I would imitate it.

I do consider the deaths of a couple cops, family, or detectives to be worth the deaths of millions of criminals. I wouldn't have to live in fear in Kira's new world because I'm not a criminal and never will be.

L's anime death was actually sadder than his manga one, which i can say usually isnt the case. how on earth did that make you laugh

L's anime death was actually sadder than his manga one, which i can say usually isnt the case. how on earth did that make you laugh

I'm not trolling. The first time I felt sad, after that I realized that he his death was required in order for God to create his new world. Mikami's character related to me because at the time I was getting bullied. Mikami is my second favorite character right behind Light. When Mikami failed to recognize my Kira as God I felt sad for him. L was only nuisance that need to be removed.

This post makes me laugh.

Edited by Knight

Feel free to disagree. I have always thought of Kira as my God and role model.

I see Kira/Light as a misguided optimist. I like the idea of the end result (No criminals/bad people), but I don't think the ends justify the means...(All the death)

I see Kira/Light as a misguided optimist. I like the idea of the end result (No criminals/bad people), but I don't think the ends justify the means...(All the death)

Poor you

Light intentionally killed people who loved him to garner sympathy and get closer to the investigative team that was hunting him down.That bad may not outweigh the good but it is very senseless in the grand scheme of things.

"The good of the many comes before the good of the few"Light does kill police when they get in his way, but he kills presumably millions of criminals first, and his goal is to eradicate all crime. It's something no other single human could pull off, and it was something the Shinigami never expected. He has a clear plan, he out-thinks everyone, he's always ten steps ahead. To be honest, the only thing the show fails on is the second season, where Light has somehow lost all his brains and he blunders stupidly into situations that before then would never have caught him.He's charismatic and antisocial at the same time, but also narcissistic. He may kill a few FBI agents, but after killing all those criminals, he made a pretty great world for the law abiding citizens. If the law had just ignored him, the crime problem would have been solved in a few years.I mean, let's assume for a second that the law had completely ignored him. Let's say they said "Oh god this guy's murdering people, but only those who commit horrific crimes. Let's let him do it." then what would have happened. Nobody would murder anymore (Unless they were literally blinded by fury, which is unavoidable.) and rape/assault would drop to insignificant levels. Things like theft and etc could be left to the police. Small crimes for the cops, big crimes for Kira. You'll also notice that he was only originally killing criminals who had already been convicted or who were in the process of committing a violent crime, like that group of guys who were attacking the woman in episode 1, or the man with the hostages in that same episode. I would only draw the line if he was killing people who had not yet been convicted and were still awaiting trial, which he never did.

Kira will end you all. Mark my words. I have him on speed dial.

I just want to say, given his deteriorating mental state, if left to his delusions, I'm sure Light would have found some other reason to justify murdering. Perhaps he would eventually develop a eugenic mindset, it wouldn't be surprising. The idea of eliminating all criminals seems nice, but their sentence shouldn't be judged by a sadistic sociopath.