For Glory observations

Florete

Hopefully this doesn't come off as racist, but it seems to be true: Japanese players don't like anyone else.

I was playing a few nights ago and, literally, about 75-80% of the time a player with a Japanese name joined, they would leave immediately without fighting. It wasn't uncommon to see this happen 4-5 times in a row, and it's only players with Japanese names that do this. This also happened on 3DS, though it seems worse on Wii U. It's come to the point where whenever I'm joined by a Japanese player, it's just a guessing game of "Will this person actually stay or not?"

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there maybe a better reason for this than "Japanese Smashers are racist"? Because I'd really rather not have that as my conclusion.

I played last night with the above never happening, but none of my opponents had Japanese names.

This has not at all happened to me that i can recall. Of course, i really havent touched Smash in a while. Usually, i find it that the Japanese players are the ones i want to have around because Muricans are laggy as fuck. Those guys dont lag and i rarely do unless its with someone with atrocious ping. But i have not had Japanese players quit just cuz im in there. Pretty sure is "Muricans/Westerners lag hella bad at times. Best find a lobby with people without shitty ping." Not "I hate Westerners, you dirty whiteys!"

/shrug When i get Japanese players, and they fight me, they stick around. At first, i thought it was because they could easily whoop my arse, but i dont think so. Its likely cuz my internet doesnt suck a goat's arse.

Moral of the Story: Dont have bad internet.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has not at all happened to me that i can recall. Of course, i really havent touched Smash in a while. Usually, i find it that the Japanese players are the ones i want to have around because Muricans are laggy as fuck. Those guys dont lag and i rarely do unless its with someone with atrocious ping.

This is actually the case for me, now that I think about it. When Japanese players actually stay, we almost never lag. When I do get lag (which isn't often), it's usually with English players.

This is actually the case for me, now that I think about it. When Japanese players actually stay, we almost never lag. When I do get lag (which isn't often), it's usually with English players.

Yep. And the most English players are in the US which has pretty bleh interwebz in comparison. I did fight some guys with western names before and there was no lag to speak of, so they may have been European.

Anybody have advice for fighting good Dededes? He seems to be the character I struggle the most with fighting, especially the ones that float around a lot while sending gordos my way. Hitting the gordos back often doesn't have much effect (because he's floating or it just plain misses), and when I try to go in I always get hit by down air, and it seems like it has no landing lag so I can't even just shield and then punish because I just get hit by down smash or get shield grabbed. And I have to focus on all this while still keeping track of and avoiding gordos.

I use a variety of characters (Rosalina & Luma, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Robin, Lucina, and R.O.B. are my mains/characters I use the most), but if I come against a good Dedede, I usually can't find a way in with anyone.

Fox,

First thing is that good Dedede's will almost always throw Gordo from the sky. It is more optimal for the Gordo to land that way and it allows him to go unpunished. Don't focus too much on hitting Gordo back, shielding is still the best option cause you can react out of it faster. Dash attacks are also a good way to close the gap, but that's character dependent.

Second, how do you always get hit by down air? His horizontal air speed is not great, so unless you keep trying to juggle him (which you shouldn't), you shouldn't really have problems fighting him in the air. Fight him in the air to his front or back.

Third, don't shield too much whenever he's grounded. That grab range is a bitch and while it isn't as good as it was in Brawl, Dedede still likes to incorporate a lot of grabs in his game. Otherwise, his ground game kinda sucks. Almost all his ground moves are laggy, save for down tilt and jab. His down smash is slower than average actually, not sure why that's getting ya.

Of your mains, probably Zelda, ZSS, Lucina work the best. ZSS and Lucina have good mobility and some very fast Fair attacks that will make it a nightmare for Dedede to stay in the air. Zelda's Nayru messes up his Gordo game pretty well and lightning kicks/Farore's are much easier to land due to his big hitbox.

Fox,

First thing is that good Dedede's will almost always throw Gordo from the sky. It is more optimal for the Gordo to land that way and it allows him to go unpunished. Don't focus too much on hitting Gordo back, shielding is still the best option cause you can react out of it faster. Dash attacks are also a good way to close the gap, but that's character dependent.

Second, how do you always get hit by down air? His horizontal air speed is not great, so unless you keep trying to juggle him (which you shouldn't), you shouldn't really have problems fighting him in the air. Fight him in the air to his front or back.

Third, don't shield too much whenever he's grounded. That grab range is a bitch and while it isn't as good as it was in Brawl, Dedede still likes to incorporate a lot of grabs in his game. Otherwise, his ground game kinda sucks. Almost all his ground moves are laggy, save for down tilt and jab. His down smash is slower than average actually, not sure why that's getting ya.

Of your mains, probably Zelda, ZSS, Lucina work the best. ZSS and Lucina have good mobility and some very fast Fair attacks that will make it a nightmare for Dedede to stay in the air. Zelda's Nayru messes up his Gordo game pretty well and lightning kicks/Farore's are much easier to land due to his big hitbox.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'm getting hit by down airs because I try to avoid the gordos by going under him and doing something from there, and then they come down on me. Though now that I think about it, they almost never actually hit me with that because I shield, but then they always get a punish out of it because of seemingly no landing lag, which I'm either seeing wrong or just find very surprising.

Now that you mention it, it's really his jab and tilt that hit me a lot, while the down smash is what they usually use for the kill. Dededes love to jab, though (not that it's a surprise since a lot of characters have good jabs).

There are no Dedede mains.

Smash 4 can take everything else from me, if this is true I will forgive it

Wario players are pretty annoying, but not unbeatable. Expect Wario's bike to be on screen for the majority of the match, as well as many dash attacks.

many dash attacks

smh

Edited by Rehab

If samus didn't exist, id main the D

But I so rarely see either of them.

One thing I noticed is that there are no good links that use the Dark palette...im guessing little kids who think "Aww yea blank is edge is cool so badass yeaa", while the better players tend to use no color change or something that's just neutral like the often overlooked blue yoshi or retro toon link

Projectile Links are not hard to deal with. Projectile TL's are worse. You gotta deal with arrows as well with him and he can circle camp much easier.

I've seen people counter Link's projectiles by riding his gale back to him. His arrows really won't be used. His bombs are a problem. but you if you have good reflexes you can double A and throw them back at him.

I've learned to deal with the majority of Links spamming projectiles, though I do recall one with a particular combo that I couldn't seem to find a way through. I don't remember exactly, but it involved jab combos out of shield whenever I got near; he seemed to always be able to roll to the perfect position.. It was really strange, and I kind of wish I had recorded it so I could potentially see where I was going wrong.

I've seen people counter Link's projectiles by riding his gale back to him. His arrows really won't be used. His bombs are a problem. but you if you have good reflexes you can double A and throw them back at him.

I was playing random once and I got Link and the guy tried doing this, but I won anyway, lol. And not because I stopped using the boomerang.

Projectile Links are not hard to deal with. Projectile TL's are worse. You gotta deal with arrows as well with him and he can circle camp much easier.

I can read them fine, the issue is my reaction to actually do something about it. It's mostly my fault for it but I can't make the move at the right time. The really good ones hammer the hell out of me on it. Projectiles have always been my number one weakness since I'm more of a brawler type of guy than relying on projectiles. It's also why my sister screws me over a lot since she mains Link and Pit.

Edited by kingddd

Everyone I played today has bad internet. EVERYONE. I falcon punched like 50 people to end the match and they quit every time.

Today I found a lot of Ganons and Links. A few Falcons and Macs, and 1 Luigi.

Ganons try to troll with their mindgames.

Hopefully this doesn't come off as racist, but it seems to be true: Japanese players don't like anyone else.

I was playing a few nights ago and, literally, about 75-80% of the time a player with a Japanese name joined, they would leave immediately without fighting. It wasn't uncommon to see this happen 4-5 times in a row, and it's only players with Japanese names that do this. This also happened on 3DS, though it seems worse on Wii U. It's come to the point where whenever I'm joined by a Japanese player, it's just a guessing game of "Will this person actually stay or not?"

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there maybe a better reason for this than "Japanese Smashers are racist"? Because I'd really rather not have that as my conclusion.

I played last night with the above never happening, but none of my opponents had Japanese names.

I'd do that too if I had fiber optic connections and others usually lagged from a connection across the ocean. Though I'm immune from this happening because I have a Japanese 3ds.

I also had a bit of trouble against some Links, he spammed arrows, boomerangs and bombs as fuck. On my first match I was Duck Hunt and he beat me, but he just rolled the heck out of me, spammed arrows and while I approached him he either dodge rolled and F-smash me or just did a dash attack. On the next match I just used Duck Hunt's Trick Shot (? or neutral B) and shielded at the same time while he spammed arrows, but it was useless cuz I shielded them and the can was slowly approaching him until it got him. I repeated it this a bunch of times and then he got crazy and got 2 stocked by DA DAWG.

Oh and I love reking some arrogant Falcon players with Peach's forward smash...satisfying :smug:

I am annoyed with the Kirbys online. They spam Up B. That is literally all they do is just make every possible bad decision.

Before you say it is one only this has been like 7-10 Kirbys.

Edited by Craptain Falchion

I am annoyed with the Kirbys online. They spam Up B. That is literally all they do is just make every possible bad decision.

Before you say it is one only this has been like 7-10 Kirbys.

If it makes you feel better, I'm probably one of the only Kirby players who doesn't do that. Make sure that you can get behind him before he lands so you can hard punish it.

If it makes you feel better, I'm probably one of the only Kirby players who doesn't do that. Make sure that you can get behind him before he lands so you can hard punish it.

It isn't an issue of punishing, it just isn't satisfying to face. Any Kirby that doesn't spam their specials is not bad in my book.

Well, while I've found that people are generally better on the Wii-U version than they were on the 3ds version, I find that certain characters still tend to fall into the same patterns. Duck Hunt's probably the most irritating character, simply because of his B, Side-B, and I guess his Down-B, and most of them constantly run away, so fighting them becomes a flow chart of sorts. Get past their projectiles>Get a combo or two or KO/they attempt to flee/respawn. Rinse and repeat.

I've fought good Kirbys, but it's true that most of them are up/down b spammers.

Well, while I've found that people are generally better on the Wii-U version than they were on the 3ds version, I find that certain characters still tend to fall into the same patterns. Duck Hunt's probably the most irritating character, simply because of his B, Side-B, and I guess his Down-B, and most of them constantly run away, so fighting them becomes a flow chart of sorts. Get past their projectiles>Get a combo or two or KO/they attempt to flee/respawn. Rinse and repeat.

To be fair, that's kind of how Duck Hunt is supposed to be played. Being a troll character is actually quite fitting when you think about it. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I fought a Sonic player and he mostly spammed his B,Down B,up air and down air.Easy to take stop the Spin Attacks with Elthunder/Arcthunder,and I made him SD twice when he was using his down air.I've also found a way to stop Little Mac's B with Dedede.

I fought a Sonic player and he mostly spammed his B,Down B,up air and down air.Easy to take stop the Spin Attacks with Elthunder/Arcthunder,and I made him SD twice when he was using his down air.I've also found a way to stop Little Mac's B with Dedede.

Can't make anyone SD, that's just stupidity. Once in a while is understandable. But if you consistently SD, you aren't good enough even for For Glory.

You must have been playing some very terrible Little Macs (as terrible as For Glory Little Macs get), for them to try neutral B at all. Only reason I use that input for him is for the KO punch.

Edited by Knife

Can't make anyone SD, that's just stupidity. Once in a while is understandable. But if you consistently SD, you aren't good enough even for For Glory.

You must have been playing some very terrible Little Macs (as terrible as For Glory Little Macs get), for them to try neutral B at all. Only reason I use that input for him is for the KO punch.

Neutral B is good for edgeguarding. It's like Ike's eruption and Ganondorf's up tilt A.