olivia or sumia for chrom

eugenes99

olivia or sumia  

67 members have voted

1. 1. olivia or sumia?

• olivia
    • sumia

You are thinking of the maiden's requirements.

Olivia's special condition will override support points. As long as you do not achieve any support ranks between Chrom and his other potential wives, he can marry Olivia.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not saying Olivia is any better, that I wouldn't know as I haven't paired her and Chrom together, I just feel like Lucina can be... Derpy when it comes to having Sumia as her mother.

Unless Aether kicks in, she doesn't have many ways to kick the keisters. I don't know if it was because of Sumia's stats passed down, whether the ACTUAL stats at the times or the modifiers, but... Again, unless Aether kicked in, especially Luna, Lucina just didn't feel as hyped up as she was.

And I'm talking about Lucina fighting in general, by the way, whether Apotheosis or some small battle during the story mode.

Cynthia, on the other hand.

Every time I recruited her I could use her immediately. Her high speed and slightly above normal skill would tear through everyone.

I don't know if this is just me, or if my opinion really matters. Better off to let the big guys bicker and just watch from the sidelines, ehh?

Edited by ~Silver

While I'm not saying Olivia is any better, that I wouldn't know as I haven't paired her and Chrom together, I just feel like Lucina can be... Derpy when it comes to having Sumia as her mother.

Unless Aether kicks in, she doesn't have many ways to kick the keisters. I don't know if it was because of Sumia's stats passed down, whether the ACTUAL stats at the times or the modifiers, but... Again, unless Aether kicked in, especially Luna, Lucina just didn't feel as hyped up as she was.

And I'm talking about Lucina fighting in general, by the way, whether Apotheosis or some small battle during the story mode.

Cynthia, on the other hand.

Every time I recruited her I could use her immediately. Her high speed and slightly above normal skill would tear through everyone.

I don't know if this is just me, or if my opinion really matters. Better off to let the big guys bicker and just watch from the sidelines, ehh?

I don't know where you get that idea from, she gets plenty of strength from her father, and from parallel falchion. Start her off with galeforce and she can easily kick butt from the start. And by the time her mediocre strength mod rears its ugly head, she'll have plenty of skill to activate Aether reasonably often, along with Luna.

I don't know where you get that idea from, she gets plenty of strength from her father, and from parallel falchion. Start her off with galeforce and she can easily kick butt from the start. And by the time her mediocre strength mod rears its ugly head, she'll have plenty of skill to activate Aether reasonably often, along with Luna.

Oh.

Well, guess I've just been screwing her (eww?) with stat inheritance, then.

And when I said Luna, I meant the Luna part of Aether.

Ya know... Why do Lords learn Aether anyways?

Lets also not forget how much of a pain in the dick it is to actually get Chrom to marry with Olivia. i.e can't have him near any other females for like 12 chapters (can be a little more difficult if you have a FeMU).

Yeah it really sucks since that means you can't make the most out of DS+. 10% dual strike is a total of 40 skill that doesn't need to be provided by the combat pair. In game, that is a lot.

Oh.

Well, guess I've just been screwing her (eww?) with stat inheritance, then.

And when I said Luna, I meant the Luna part of Aether.

I dunno, maybe for the same reason Sword masters learn astra, lol.

If Olivia is not going to be married by Libra or Henry, she's going to be married by me. It's that simple. I never tried Chrom x Olivia but the Sumia pair was not bad at all for Lucina. She had excellent speed. In general, While I use Lucina a lot. She's not one of my strongest children units. In Apotheosis. My Inigo did most of the work for her. Then again. I'd expect nothing less from a son of mine. Morgan is just as beastly as him (Daddy's cute little girl) I'm going off track, Sorry.

I think it's because I'm turning into an elitist after playing this game for almost 500 hours.

Actually, I'd say you're on the side of aesthetics > gameplay. Not many people here who focus on teambuilding treat the Avatar as a self-insert, and I'd assume doing that is what's raising everyone's red flags about what you're saying.

Also, calling any 2nd gen Morgan (but especially one from a mother who's highest mod is +1) beastly indicates that you're not very familiar with how Apo works (it's not a question of good vs bad, it's a question of good vs better. Your Morgan is good, but she's still near the bottom of the heap as far as Morgans go), so there's that too.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Actually, I'd say you're on the side of aesthetics > gameplay. Not many people here who focus on teambuilding treat the Avatar as a self-insert, and I'd assume doing that is what's raising everyone's red flags about what you're saying.

Also, calling any 2nd gen Morgan (but especially one from a mother who's highest mod is +1) beastly indicates that you're not very familiar with how Apo works (it's not a question of good vs bad, it's a question of good vs better. Your Morgan is good, but she's still near the bottom of the heap as far as Morgans go), so there's that too.

You're right. I'm not a guy who builds his teams for the best gameplay effect. I build it based on aesthetics. I apologize for sounding like the idiot that I am. I maybe a bit harsh on myself now but I look back upon what I said. I should have put more thought into it. I should have consider that Morgan can always be better.

Edited by Rxmonste

Because Ike did. :P He was the first lord to ever get it. I like to joke and say Marth's line stole it from his. lol

Ike will always be the man when it comes to Aether though, because he had it first, and therefore he started its use!

Edited by Anacybele

I actually never played Path of Radiance but I do know that Ike is Aether's originator. I would love to play PoR someday. I got introduced to Ike via Smash.

Edited by Rxmonste

Technically FE4 is your god when it comes to the originator of the skills you worship in FE9.

If there was no 太陽 or 月光, there would be no 天空.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You're right. I'm not a guy who builds his teams for the best gameplay effect. I build it based on aesthetics. I apologize for sounding like the idiot that I am. I maybe a bit harsh on myself now but I look back upon what I said. I should have put more thought into it. I should have consider that Morgan can always be better.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Nobody starts a pro.

Ike will always be the man when it comes to Aether though, because he had it first, and therefore he started its use! he's still the only one who can use it in Smash.

Let's not ignore the real reason behind Aether's popularity, now.

Pavise was introduced in FE4. It was called Great Shield then, correct?

Sort of... Great Shield works closer to the way DGs work in Awakening (Lv% chance to nullify all damage, though there was some talk about changing its name to Pavise in one of the translation threads) but it's the closest thing Pavise has to a distant ancestor.

If Chrom marries Olivia, Inigo lives up to his Japanese name with beautiful blue hair, so the real winner is clear.

It's easy to see Chrom is Cynthia's best father, I don't go for gameplay and I can see that. 8U

Fuck great shield.

Fuck that skill.

Fuck it to the high heavens. /end rage

Anyway, it's kind of funny how Chromia was a thing for a while because PavGis Renewal RFK

Then Chrolivia became a thing because swordfaire and Lethality RFK and Chrom!Inigo and "Sumia gives Lucina low strength and Henry is better for Cynthia"

Then Chromia became a thing again because Chrom!Cynthia has Aether and Sumia has a bazillion benefits and easy galeforce for Lucy.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

Fuck great shield.

Fuck that skill.

Fuck it to the high heavens. /end rage

Pavise+ should have been Great Shield from FE4 and FE8 complete with activation percentage just to piss you off.

And then Lunatic+ became unbeatable with 50+ skill enemies with the skill.

But yeah, you're all talking about the same skill.

大盾 = Big Shield (Literal Translation) = Great Shield = Pavise

Localization is a thing.

Also Cynthia without Aether and the Pega-pony Princess title is just all kinds of wrong.

Anyway, it's kind of funny how Chromia was a thing for a while because PavGis Renewal RFK

Then Chrolivia became a thing because swordfaire and Lethality RFK and Chrom!Inigo and "Sumia gives Lucina low strength and Henry is better for Cynthia"

Then Chromia became a thing again because Chrom!Cynthia has Aether and Sumia has a bazillion benefits and easy galeforce for Lucy.

The evolving "metagame" of a single player game.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Because Ike did. :P He was the first lord to ever get it. I like to joke and say Marth's line stole it from his. lol

Ike will always be the man when it comes to Aether though, because he had it first, and therefore he started its use!

Yes, Ike did, but... Where did the skill origin from?

How was it learned?

I mean, fine, okay, Priam can't learn it, that's okay. But... Why then do Lucina and Chrom (and those through them) get access to said skill?

Wasn't it cool enough as an exclusive skill for Ike?

Let them have their own skill, or somethin'. I dunno.

People also used to think Sumia was a mediocre unit for not having Sol or Armsthrift and that Cynthia was the worst child and could only be made useable by having a Male Avatar father. I'm serious. Henry!Cynthia was considered barely viable due to having Sorcerer access, but she was still considered meh at best due to not having Sol to stack with Nosferatu or Armsthrift to enable constant Aversa's Night spam.

Basically, anyone who didn't have Sorcerer or Mercenary in their class set was a chump back in the old days.

I'm so glad we aren't in that era anymore.

Edited by Carmine Sword

Basically, anyone who didn't have Sorcerer or Mercenary in their class set was a chump back in the old days.

I'm so glad we aren't in that era anymore.

Hehe. I remember a topic way back when somebody made equating Sumia to Cordelia in general usefulness, and the rage was incredible (which is funny, because now they're pretty much dead even, and both for different reasons than originally thought).

Let's not forget a certain individual who nearly managed to convince everyone that a 2% higher chance to activate PavGis + Sol >>>>>>Galeforce.

Although since that was a Gamefaqs incident, I'm not sure how many people here will know what I'm talking about. It's probably better that way.

Honestly, I bet I could make an argument for that too. Not >>>>>>, but worth considering, at least.

That said, the powers of being good at making things make sense when they really shouldn't shouldn't be underestimated.

Yes, Ike did, but... Where did the skill origin from?

How was it learned?

I mean, fine, okay, Priam can't learn it, that's okay. But... Why then do Lucina and Chrom (and those through them) get access to said skill?

Wasn't it cool enough as an exclusive skill for Ike?

Let them have their own skill, or somethin'. I dunno.

I see your point here but for whatever reason I think the guys over at IS decided "hey lets make it the cool lord skill". What's weird is that the Black Knight has Eclipse which no other unit got ever if I remember correctly (haven't played any of the Japanese games so idk about those). I kinda wish they made unique skills for the main characters though from a gameplay standpoint it would add utility to them that no other unit has other than the fact that if they die on the map its game over.

I was always under the impression that story wise, Ike learned Aether from Stefan, or at least something he later adapted into Aether.

And technically FE5 has been doing Aether long before FE9 (since Sol and Luna can trigger simultaneously there). Ike totally stole Aether from Mareeta.

On topic: I think all the good gameplay reasons have been given, but from a story perspective I'd never reccomend Chrom/Olivia before Chrom/Sumia. Chrom/Olivia is pretty badly inserted into the game, has no buildup, and you can only make it happen if you know the conditions beforehand or get rather lucky with how you've been playing the game.

Chrom/Sumia flows with the main story a lot better and can be easily achieved without grinding.