Hopes for Zelda U

Misses Elise-chan!

Smash Bros. Wii U has a ton of control options and it did fine in being amazing. It's gotten great reviews and scores.

Zelda has no excuse. And frankly, I don't care what other people think, I'm still going to hope for a motion controls option.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be interesting to see some more personality among enemies, some friendly moblins, perhaps more speaking villains than two as well. I really hope this next Zelda is big on everything, the dungeons, sidequests, characters, story, we already know the world is big so I have no worries there. Ugh I can't wait for this game, someone freeze me and wake me up next Christmas.

Smash Bros. Wii U has a ton of control options and it did fine in being amazing. It's gotten great reviews and scores.

Zelda has no excuse. And frankly, I don't care what other people think, I'm still going to hope for a motion controls option.

The thing is Smash Bros. has no functions that take advantage of the Wii U Gamepad (except for photo studio and stage builder) and for Nintendo to sell more Wii U's and attract investors, games need to show that the Wii U Gamepad is something important enough to the system that it isn't a waste of money, cause I'm pretty sure it's at least a quarter or more of the system's worth. Each new Zelda game has been designed to take advantage of the new controller and optimize it to the max, it would be inhibiting for the new Zelda game to have to downgrade to accommodate for features on the Wii remote, as it is likely to require the Gamepad's touchscreen, gyro and more buttons. If the extent to which the Gamepad is used is only for map functions and aiming, then maybe I could see there being a control scheme where you'd sit with the Gamepad in front of you and then the controller of your choice in your hands, but I wouldn't expect any enemies or gameplay to take advantage of an alternate control scheme.

I'd also like the Roc's feather to return. Linebeck is a must in this game. I'm also hoping for a new partner for Link that is less of a lecturer.

It'd be interesting to see some more personality among enemies, some friendly moblins, perhaps more speaking villains than two as well. I really hope this next Zelda is big on everything, the dungeons, sidequests, characters, story, we already know the world is big so I have no worries there. Ugh I can't wait for this game, someone freeze me and wake me up next Christmas.

The thing is Smash Bros. has no functions that take advantage of the Wii U Gamepad (except for photo studio and stage builder) and for Nintendo to sell more Wii U's and attract investors, games need to show that the Wii U Gamepad is something important enough to the system that it isn't a waste of money, cause I'm pretty sure it's at least a quarter or more of the system's worth. Each new Zelda game has been designed to take advantage of the new controller and optimize it to the max, it would be inhibiting for the new Zelda game to have to downgrade to accommodate for features on the Wii remote, as it is likely to require the Gamepad's touchscreen, gyro and more buttons. If the extent to which the Gamepad is used is only for map functions and aiming, then maybe I could see there being a control scheme where you'd sit with the Gamepad in front of you and then the controller of your choice in your hands, but I wouldn't expect any enemies or gameplay to take advantage of an alternate control scheme.

Thank you for the in depth explanation on why Zelda has an excuse for limited control options, I agree.

Roc's Feather, hmm, how would that work? Or how about the magnetic gloves, I don't remember much about it but it looks interesting. I wouldn't mind if Link had no partner, or rather one that was more like the King of Red Lions or something. Linebeck was awesome, it would be cool for him to appear, or an alternate incarnation of him. Speaking of which, does anyone have any other hope for recurring NPCS?

Edited by Knight

Roc's Feather, hmm, how would that work? Or how about the magnetic gloves, I don't remember much about it but it looks interesting. I wouldn't mind if Link had no partner, or rather one that was more like the King of Red Lions or something. Linebeck was awesome, it would be cool for him to appear, or an alternate incarnation of him. Speaking of which, does anyone have any other hope for recurring NPCS?

Postman and Windmill guy.

The Roc's Cape is better than the Roc's Feather, it should return instead if a Roc's item comes back. Unlike the Roc's Feather, the Roc's Cape allowed Link to glide across gaps. The feather only allowed him to jump. And Link already automatically jumps when he goes off the edge of a cliff or platform in 3D Zeldas. Its only use would be jumping on top of blocks or something a la Mario. The Roc's Cape can let him jump OR glide.

Also, honestly, using only the Gamepad is a downgrade, not using the remote and nunchuck. I always felt that the Gamepad was a downgrade from them because it's pretty much like an old fashioned video game controller, only with its own screen. The Wii remote and nunhuck were way different from the GC controller because of the new motion controls and stuff. The Gamepad just does what older controllers did plus a screen.

Edited by Anacybele

Remember how in the video Mr. Developer Man (I think he is Shigeru Miyamotos son or something, his name was Anuki I think) he said there would be bugs? This must mean the net is returning along with more bug catching sidequests like in Twilight Princess.

Another good item to bring back would be the fishing rod. There's so much water in this game that if they didn't it would be a huge wasted opportunity.

For the first time Link will be able to use both the bug net and fishing rod in the same game. An open world game needs plenty of things to do, fishing and bug catching should be some of them.

Now all we need is a museum and owl.

The Roc's Cape is better than the Roc's Feather, it should return instead if a Roc's item comes back. Unlike the Roc's Feather, the Roc's Cape allowed Link to glide across gaps. The feather only allowed him to jump. And Link already automatically jumps when he goes off the edge of a cliff or platform in 3D Zeldas. Its only use would be jumping on top of blocks or something a la Mario. The Roc's Cape can let him jump OR glide.

A good use of the item I mentioned is climbing up trees or other platforms where there is no ledge to jump from or wall to climb. Imagine having Link sit on a tree branch and possibly eating apples up there, it would be this games equivalent to sitting on benches in X and Y.

Also, honestly, using only the Gamepad is a downgrade, not using the remote and nunchuck. I always felt that the Gamepad was a downgrade from them because it's pretty much like an old fashioned video game controller, only with its own screen. The Wii remote and nunhuck were way different from the GC controller because of the new motion controls and stuff. The Gamepad just does what older controllers did plus a screen.

The sail cloth already glides, that's why I said the Roc's feather. Each item should have different properties and abilities. Giving one item too many properties, especially one that another item already has, dulls gameplay. You might as well take out the sail cloth and forget adding the Roc's feather if the Roc's cape is in. Variety is a must in Zelda.

I am going to write something 2edgy4U, thus ignoring my post about discussing things other than motion controls versus gamepad. If Nintendo focuses on using one control option then they can spend more time doing more important things. Developers usually give more control options when it's practical and will'nt require any excess money, time, or programing.

Before you reply back...no, you're not allowed to have an opinion, no one is. On the internet everbody is always wrong, please refer to the rules of the internet if you'd like to know what is fact. Anything not on the list is wrong.

Edited by Rabbattack

I meant to say that the wiimote would only be a downgrade if there was nothing in the game that took advantage of the motion controls. (i.e. Super Mario Galaxy, where the spin could have been easily mapped to a button and the game didn't really benefit from shooting star bits) I didn't mean for it to come out like I was saying one was necessarily superior than the other, that's a different debate, sorry.

For the first time Link will be able to use both the bug net and fishing rod in the same game. An open world game needs plenty of things to do, fishing and bug catching should be some of them.

Now all we need is a museum and owl.The sail cloth already glides, that's why I said the Roc's feather. Each item should have different properties and abilities. Giving one item too many properties, especially one that another item already has, dulls gameplay. You might as well take out the sail cloth and forget adding the Roc's feather if the Roc's cape is in. Variety is a must in Zelda.

I think with new wildlife, I think there's an even bigger opportunity for collectibles. Going back to the idea that this is shortly after Skyward Sword, what if, as a sidemission there was a quest to catalog and record all the different wildlife that you encounter in the new world. I also like the idea of fishing and bug catching too.

The Roc's Cape could easily be an upgrade to the sailcloth you get somewhere later in the game, personally it'd be hilarious to see Link gliding around like Superman so I'm in full support for the Roc's Cape, plus it would make the game feel a little more sandboxy, which I'm always open to as long as it doesn't break dungeons.

Edited by Knight

What? No it doesn't. It only let Link slow his fall when he jumped off his bird.

And I never said anything about the sail cloth to begin with.

In the newest trailer for Zelda U it functions pretty much like the Deku Leaf without the wind blast. Edited by Knight

The shovel is another must for this open world game, it'd be perfect with the fishing rod and bug net. Now we just need a slingshot, axe, and watering can. Hopefully you should be able to upgrade them from silver to gold.

The magic cape would be another interesting item to bring back. Imagine a dungeon where Link's items are stolen and all he has is the cape. A stealth dungeon would be another good idea.

What? No it doesn't. It only let Link slow his fall when he jumped off his bird.

And I never said anything about the sail cloth to begin with.

I know you didn't mention the sail cloth and I'm talking about the sail cloth in Zelda U, not Skyward Sword. Didn't you see it in the trailer. You don't have to mention something for me to bring it up. The sail cloth in Zelda U and Roc's cape would serve the same function, that function being gliding. In a game like Zelda, items should have variety.

I meant to say that the wiimote would only be a downgrade if there was nothing in the game that took advantage of the motion controls. (i.e. Super Mario Galaxy, where the spin could have been easily mapped to a button and the game didn't really benefit from shooting star bits) I didn't mean for it to come out like I was saying one was necessarily superior than the other, that's a different debate, sorry.

I think with new wildlife, I think there's an even bigger opportunity for collectibles. Going back to the idea that this is shortly after Skyward Sword, what if, as a sidemission there was a quest to catalog and record all the different wildlife that you encounter in the new world. I also like the idea of fishing and bug catching too.

The Roc's Cape could easily be an upgrade to the sailcloth you get somewhere later in the game, personally it'd be hilarious to see Link gliding around like Superman so I'm in full support for the Roc's Cape, plus it would make the game feel a little more sandboxy, which I'm always open to as long as it doesn't break dungeons.

I don't like the idea of turning a parachute into a cape. They are so similar that I don't see Nintendo bring the cape back as they've already added the sail cloth.

Quick question. Which item would you like to see return? Hookshot, clawshot, grappling hook, or whip?

Well, Link already has a cape in the game. Speaking of which, I wonder what it's for.

He is part of the survey corps. Edited by Rabbattack

Quick question. Which item would you like to see return? Hookshot, clawshot, grappling hook, or whip?

The double-clawshots is my favourite item in the series, though the grappling hook would be cool too. Whip is okay but it needs to have more utility or some incentive to actually use it in combat.

As for other items, I've already mentioned the magnet gloves, I wouldn't mind seeing the mirror shield, pegasus boots might be interesting in a 3D Zelda, new versions of the elemental rods might be interesting as well in 3D. Of course, I'd want new items first and foremost.

The clawshot would be good.The double clawshot can make for some interesting puzzles kinda like what it did in TP.

Of course, I'd want new items first and foremost.

I'd wish they'd give us a bit more plot detail and the name of the arrow that Link was using in the E3 trailer.The arrow counts as a new weapon,right?

I'd like to see different types of shields and swords like in OoT. Different types of boots and clothing too. Make it equipment and not item.

Something like Xenoblade would be nice.Have certain shirts boost different stats,weapons that can damage certain enemies that other weapons cannot.Plus,having them all on you to switch at will would be interesting as well.

Edited by ShadowShine

I want to see something akin to an item I made for my Zelda fic. It combines the abilities of both the hookshot/clawshot and grappling hook. Thus, it's called the Grappleshot. I always thought it'd be cool. ^^

I'd love to see the Pegasus Boots and Roc's Cape. I miss zooming all over the place in those boots and flying across big gaps.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Grappling Hook return once again! I loved it in Wind Waker.

Aren't the Hookshot / Clawshot pretty much the same thing (functioning the same)? I know the Clawshot is for Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword. And the Hookshot is for, well, the rest of the Zelda franchise.

Ooh, I'd love to see bomb arrows once again! Everything Twilight Princess related, just throw it in! Especially Zelda's design! I mean, why ELSE would they use the TP design AGAIN in Smash?

Something like Xenoblade would be nice.Have certain shirts boost different stats,weapons that can damage certain enemies that other weapons cannot.Plus,having them all on you to switch at will would be interesting as well.

Yeah, something like this, except the weapons should be easy to switch out. Perhaps having some armour that protects against fire but is weak to electricity or something like that, or trade off speed for strength and perhaps each piece of equipment can be upgraded. You could have something like the Master Sword that is an all-round useful weapon, but also something like a sword with special powers that might use magic or rupees, a two-handed heavy sword like the Biggoron sword and may be elemental weapons, like a fire sword that kills ice bats but not fire bats.

Aren't the Hookshot / Clawshot pretty much the same thing (functioning the same)? I know the Clawshot is for Twilight Princess / Skyward Sword. And the Hookshot is for, well, the rest of the Zelda franchise.

The only real difference is that the clawshot allows Link to hang from things.

I think the bomb arrows were already showcased in the first trailer, it looks like Link let's some fly at the crab thing before he brings out that high-tech/magic/both? arrow.

Speaking of the Pegasus Boots, they could be used in combat too, like having a charge attack that is necessary to remove some armour or something.

I could talk about this game for hours, so hyped.

Yeah, something like this, except the weapons should be easy to switch out. Perhaps having some armour that protects against fire but is weak to electricity or something like that, or trade off speed for strength and perhaps each piece of equipment can be upgraded. You could have something like the Master Sword that is an all-round useful weapon, but also something like a sword with special powers that might use magic or rupees, a two-handed heavy sword like the Biggoron sword and may be elemental weapons, like a fire sword that kills ice bats but not fire bats.

The only real difference is that the clawshot allows Link to hang from things.

I think the bomb arrows were already showcased in the first trailer, it looks like Link let's some fly at the crab thing before he brings out that high-tech/magic/both? arrow.

Speaking of the Pegasus Boots, they could be used in combat too, like having a charge attack that is necessary to remove some armour or something.

I could talk about this game for hours, so hyped.

I'd prefer the pegasus boots to work differently since this is a 3D Zelda. I would just like to see them make you run faster without the charge.

Pegasus, iron, and hover should all be in this game. Pegasus boots would be a nice addition for places you can't bring Epona or areas within walking distance. Make the Pegasus boots equipment like the iron and hover boots too.

More swords are a good idea too. TP only let you use the ordon and master sword. Ordon sword was completely useless once you got the other. OoT had better sword variety, but you could only use two as Adult Link. Master Sword was quick and safer to use, while the Biggoron's was stronger but riskier.

You could start out with the wooden sword and upgrade it to white and then magical, magical can shoot beams, but it has weaker melee attacks. Along the way you could get the master sword, then something akin to Biggoron's sword. A small sword like the Kokiri sword, which is the quickest, but weakest sword. It can upgrade to the Razor sword and then the Gilded sword.

A harbor full of ships would be a nice thing to see. A fishing town full of fishermen and sailors who give you the fishing rod.

The shovel is given to you by gorons in the mountains.

What's the point of adding more swords when they are all used the same way, like the above mentioned Ordon and Master Sword?

Even if they were different, as it was in OoT for example. it would be preferable to simply add depth to one sword fighting style rather then having several swords with only a basic combo each.

Edited by BrightBow