Why?

Rukathesoldier

Why would we? Anyone can use Ragnell. Because not only does Ike not have any sort of special bloodline (let alone one that is connected to Altina) but Ragnell's counterpart Alondite can be used by anyone even in gameplay.

Out of curiosity I'd like to know, in terms of gameplay can other characters user Ragnell or is it specific to him. Practically it makes no difference since it's locked to him as an item but given the fact that Renning can use Amiti, it suggests they've put checks elsewhere.

When it comes to the rapier I'm more curious as to how the thinnest of all sword types can be particularly effective against mounted and/or, and I think this one is even more odd, heavily armored enemies.

@Elliot: Wouldn't have been a thing. Back in the Archanea era only Anri's male descendants could wield the Falchion.

@Sartek: Wasn't this whole Feena-rapiers thing retconned away in FE12?

Although rapiers were never actually used for this purpose (at least, to the best of my knowledge), I'm assuming the reasoning behind is that rapiers have very thin blades and therefore it would be easier for them to thrust in the seams of armor (such as in joints or around the neck) rather than simply bashing or cutting into the armor itself. At least, it's a reasonable excuse; I can't even think up a reasonable excuse for horses.

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that Feena's inability to use Rapiers in New Mystery was an oversight rather than a retcon. Considering she's a single unit of minimal plot importance who has atrocious combat abilities, I honestly couldn't blame them for it if it just slipped their minds.

And it's possible that the "only male descendants of Anri can use Falchion" thing was partly due to sexist beliefs of the time and not letting women even take a shot at it.

...Well, in light of Lucina's being able to wield it, that's the best explanation I've got, at least.

And it's possible that the "only male descendants of Anri can use Falchion" thing was partly due to sexist beliefs of the time and not letting women even take a shot at it.

...Well, in light of Lucina's being able to wield it, that's the best explanation I've got, at least.

Or maybe it was just an addition made by the localisation in an attempt to better justify why Elice would allow herself to be captured.

In any case, the weapons in Jugdral didn't have this kind of restriction nor did anyone there care about the gender of it's wielders, with at the very least the Fala Flame, Ishival, Thorhammer, Narga and the Gae Borg canonical having been used by both genders at some point. And they are the same thing as the Falchion, heck the Tyrfing even looks exactly like it despite not even being made by Narga. So I'm fairly confident about that line being nonsense, one way or another.

Where does the line come from? It's in my head but I can't recall which incarnation of the story or at what point I've heard it. The same conversation is currently going on here too so I doubly would like to know.

Where does the line come from? It's in my head but I can't recall which incarnation of the story or at what point I've heard it. The same conversation is currently going on here too so I doubly would like to know.

IIRC it was something said by either Elice or Malledus during one of Shadow Dragon's Prologue chapters.

Or maybe it was just an addition made by the localisation in an attempt to better justify why Elice would allow herself to be captured.

nope; the japanese version version is just as emphatic

【エリス】

父上に万一の事があれば

マルスは

アリティア王家唯一の男子。▼

世界でただ1人の

神剣ファルシオン

継承者となるのです。▼

Elice:

If something were to happen to Father, Marth will be the last male in the Altean royal family.

The one and only person in the world who can use the holy sword Falchion.

Edited by bookofholsety

nope; the japanese version version is just as emphatic

I stand corrected then.

Wow, this is just dumb given the history of Jugdral shows that these kind of restrictions can't possible exist. In fact, even spells like Aura are said to be powered by Dragon Stones of a sort just as the Falchion (although only in designer's notes) and Lena can use it just fine despite being used by a male sage initally. This is nothing short of a retcon.

Allthough there is most certainly reason to assume that people did indeed just kinda assume that this was the case. After all, Akaneia has to have a somewhat crappy attitute to some degree, given that somehow Nyna didn't become the ruler of Akaneia despite being the actual descendant. It's never spelled out like it was in TRS but the implication is there.

Edited by BrightBow

Why would we? Anyone can use Ragnell. Because not only does Ike not have any sort of special bloodline (let alone one that is connected to Altina) but Ragnell's counterpart Alondite can be used by anyone even in gameplay.

Awakening has an entire cornucopia of fuckery. Mind you this is the game where if a random ass Paladin like Stahl gets A ranks in both Swords and Lances, he can use the Gungnir, Gae Bolg, Tyrfing, Balmung, and Mysteltainn all at once without batting an eyelash. If he goes Great Knight then gets A axes Helswath can join in on the fun.

We really should stick to the Tellius explanation of "it's Ike only just because" as opposed to looking at Awakening.

I stand corrected then.

Wow, this is just dumb given the history of Jugdral shows that these kind of restrictions can't possible exist. In fact, even spells like Aura are said to be powered by Dragon Stones of a sort just as the Falchion (although only in designer's notes) and Lena can use it just fine despite being used by a male sage initally. This is nothing short of a retcon.

Not only can Linde use it despite Miloah being a man but any woman can use it provided they get a high enough weapon rank while Linde can use it at base. I get the bloodline aspect allowing Linde to use it but why on earth would it suddenly go from being a personal spell of Miloah, to being usable exclusively by women?

I was under the impression that Feena's inability to use Rapiers in New Mystery was an oversight rather than a retcon. Considering she's a single unit of minimal plot importance who has atrocious combat abilities, I honestly couldn't blame them for it if it just slipped their minds.

considering the weapon she joins with in FE3 is a rapier I highly doubt this. It's not like it was some obscure ability of hers.