Amiibo Compatibility Plz?

Anacybele

...But it's not replacing unlockable content. Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, etc. still have regular unlockable content.

I know we're past this but I think the point Ragnar is trying to make about S.T.E.A.M. is that instead of being able to unlock Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina in-game, you gotta pay $52 at the very minimal.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, because it's a cool idea?

Also, Amiibos would be entirely optional. If you don't want them, don't get them.

Except for the part where all the FE characters are produced in such low runs that you probably can't get them even if you DO want them.

Except for the part where all the FE characters are produced in such low runs that you probably can't get them even if you DO want them.

This is the saddest part.

Unless you preorder them, you likely won't get them unless you treat their release date like bloody Black Friday and line up outside of the store before opening. There WAS tons of time (a few months IIRC) to preorder an Ike from Gamestop though I guess. Too bad I couldn't get myself a Marth before the whole craze started up. I'll probably import one next paycheck. Oh well.

Marth is getting more figures though, and I have little doubt that the other FE cast will follow suit.

Yeah, I know about the reprint, but I'm also sure that they'll all be bought up by scalpers once again. I mean, Fox got a reprint in December and has slowly been trickling in, but it's still pretty hard to find him. I'm not seeing high numbers for Marth's reprint. I'm just going to play it safe and import one, and should I come across a reprint, I'll buy that one too just to have one in-box for display.

Well, the port strike on the west coast of the US had had a negative impact on Amiibo supplies as well. I heard the other day that this has been resolved, so hopefully Amiibos will become a little more common now. Gives me hope that Rosalina will see another shipment or two.

Well, the port strike on the west coast of the US had had a negative impact on Amiibo supplies as well. I heard the other day that this has been resolved, so hopefully Amiibos will become a little more common now. Gives me hope that Rosalina will see another shipment or two.

I think they also mentioned that they were releasing cards with the same functionality - not sure if we'll see that in NA though. I'd personally love it, I'm not much of a figurine collector - so I'd welcome the functionality at a much cheaper price.

I hope they aren't. They would stop making the figures if they did. And imo, a dumb card isn't as nice as a cool figure. A card can also easily get lost, damaged, etc. I don't think you would want to have to buy new ones every time they get lost or torn when it's a lot easier to keep track of and take care of a figure (that wasn't even expensive to begin with, scalpers are the reason they are now).

I buy the more expensive hardback strategy guides rather than the cheaper paperback ones for the same reason. Easier to take care of, thus they can last longer and actually save me money in the long run. The paperbacks I've had to resort to anyway are beat up now. But my hardbacks are still like new.

Edited by Anacybele

I hope they aren't. They would stop making the figures if they did. And imo, a dumb card isn't as nice as a cool figure. A card can also easily get lost, damaged, etc. I don't think you would want to have to buy new ones every time they get lost or torn when it's a lot easier to keep track of and take care of a figure (that wasn't even expensive to begin with, scalpers are the reason they are now).

I buy the more expensive hardback strategy guides rather than the cheaper paperback ones for the same reason. Easier to take care of, thus they can last longer and actually save me money in the long run. The paperbacks I've had to resort to anyway are beat up now. But my hardbacks are still like new.

I don't think that indicates that figures would stop at all - but they've already said they plan to let certain figures "expire" essentially - I'd rather have more options than less.

Exactly, they're going to let figures expire too soon. And I don't think fans will be happy about that. With how much demand these things have generated already, few people are going to be happy with just a card. I feel these cards will flop and that Nintendo should just stick to producing more figures.

Edited by Anacybele

Exactly, they're going to let figures expire too soon. And I don't think fans will be happy about that. With how much demand these things have generated already, few people are going to be happy with just a card. I feel these cards will flop and that Nintendo should just stick to producing more figures.

They said they were doing that before they announced the cards.

Still not sure what you're seeing in those poor looking plastic figures.

Anyways, you might not wanna make such assumptions, there's not reason whatsoever right now to believe that they'll discontinue figures at some point or that those cards are going to fail.

And I'm still not sure why you DON'T see anything in these awesome looking figures. They don't look perfect, sure, but they don't look terrible at all. Just let me have my opinions.

Also, I'm basing that "assumption" on how high in demand the figures are right now. It's not baseless.

And I'm still not sure why you DON'T see anything in these awesome looking figures. They don't look perfect, sure, but they don't look terrible at all. Just let me have my opinions.

Also, I'm basing that "assumption" on how high in demand the figures are right now. It's not baseless.

The high demand actually encourages the idea of them not discontinuing the figures.

Edited by FierceRagnar

I can't reconcile your dislike of the cards with your promotion of them having content locked behind figures you admit are overpriced because of supply.

Maybe if they have content unlocked by using the amiibos, you can buy the same features as DLC using money instead. It would be a good way to give the amiibos more use, but not make me spend like $15 on an amiibo i will use for one game.

Maybe if they have content unlocked by using the amiibos, you can buy the same features as DLC using money instead. It would be a good way to give the amiibos more use, but not make me spend like $15 on an amiibo i will use for one game.

If we could do that, then the Spinner weapon thing in Hyrule Warriors and the Mario Kart 8 costumes would be purchasable already.

If we could do that, then the Spinner weapon thing in Hyrule Warriors and the Mario Kart 8 costumes would be purchasable already.

What do you mean by that?

I'm assuming that you meant Nintendo doesn't want to do things the way I suggested.

What do you mean by that?

I'm assuming that you meant Nintendo doesn't want to do things the way I suggested.

Pretty much.

Hyrule Warriors has gotten TONS of DLC lately, but IIRC none of it unlocks the Spinner weapon. It's still amiibo-locked.

Same with MK8 - no DLC gets you the costumes.