Amiibo Compatibility Plz?

Anacybele

Because people always uproared about on-disc DLC and viewed it as stupid? Why would Nintendo do something that is widely hated? I don't like the idea of on-disc DLC either because with it, I'm essentially only buying part of the game when I get the disc even though the rest is there. I'm basically paying for it twice which is stupid. I was thinking that system updates added the content and then the Amiibos unlock it.

What's the difference between it being on the disc and it being delivered in an update? It's on your hardware either way. You are just not allowed to access it. But even so, stuff like the adaptive AI system from Smash Bros would still be on-disk DLC in the purest sense of the word, seeing how it has always been there.

Anyway, while I get that Amiibo DLC wouldn't cost anything extra if you bought the Amiibo already, the whole thing is nevertheless dangerous.

Smash Bros alone expects you to buy like 600€/$ worth of Amiibos to be able to use a single feature with every character. One little mechanic requiring dozens of 15€ expensive keys to unlock. And even then, you can't have more then one adaptive AI for each character, not to mention that all the data-transferring is one hell of hassle. Of course none of that would be a problem if you were just allowed to save the data to the Wii U or an SD card but then they couldn't sell figurines..

There is no option for those who only care about the actual practical function of that adaptive AI system to access without also buying dozens of plastic figurines along with it. And those are just the Smash Amiibos. One single game and the whole system is already a bottom-less barrel. Seriously, something like 50 figures or 600€. It's crazy.

I have the Marth Amiibo and I will get the Ike Amiibo, sure. But in order to add content to the game, for the customer good old vanilla DLC would be the best way to do because otherwise we have to pay for stuff that we might not want. Just imagine you would have to buy a 15€ figurine for every single character you might want to have in the game. Can you afford that? Do you even have the storage space for that?

Any yet the actual game content wouldn't be worth all that much since the figurines themselves are worthless in that context. It's an unfair system.

The thing about amiibo is that they're encouraging developers to add things that they wouldn't normally. Fire Emblem characters being in Project STEAM would not have happened if amiibo didn't exist. The same thing will apply to this game if it gets amiibo support: without amiibo already being a thing, there would be pretty much no chance of Lucina, Marth, Ike and Robin appearing in FE14. And as much as you might pretend otherwise, I know that you know that that would be awesome.

No, it would not. 15€ for a single character? That's completely unreasonable. Why couldn't there be normal Fire Emblem DLC in those games? Overpriced DLC is really the only thing that this is encouraging.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The update is separate and free? That's the difference. I see it as get it now, pay for it and unlock it later when you can afford it.

Also, Europe has a tendency to overprice shit. I should know, I lived there for almost eight years and a lot of stuff was expensive as hell. You find things cheaper here in the US. Well, in most places.

Edited by Anacybele

What's the difference between it being on the disc and it being delivered in an update? It's on your hardware either way. You are just not allowed to access it. But even so, stuff like the adaptive AI system from Smash Bros would still be on-disk DLC in the purest sense of the word, seeing how it has always been there.

Anyway, while I get that Amiibo DLC wouldn't cost anything extra if you bought the Amiibo already, the whole thing is nevertheless dangerous.

Smash Bros alone expects you to buy like 600€/$ worth of Amiibos to be able to use a single feature with every character. One little mechanic requiring dozens of 15€ expensive keys to unlock. And even then, you can't have more then one adaptive AI for each character, not to mention that all the data-transferring is one hell of hassle. Of course none of that would be a problem if you were just allowed to save the data to the Wii U or an SD card but then they couldn't sell figurines..

There is no option for those who only care about the actual practical function of that adaptive AI system to access without also buying dozens of plastic figurines along with it. And those are just the Smash Amiibos. One single game and the whole system is already a bottom-less barrel. Seriously, something like 50 figures or 600€. It's crazy.

I have the Marth Amiibo and I will get the Ike Amiibo, sure. But in order to add content to the game, for the customer good old vanilla DLC would be the best way to do because otherwise we have to pay for stuff that we might not want. Just imagine you would have to buy a 15€ figurine for every single character you might want to have in the game. Can you afford that? Do you even have the storage space for that?

Any yet the actual game content wouldn't be worth all that much since the figurines themselves are worthless in that context. It's an unfair system.

No, it would not. 15€ for a single character? That's completely unreasonable. Why couldn't there be normal Fire Emblem DLC in those games? Overpriced DLC is really the only thing that this is encouraging.

For an optional character in FE and STEAM, and a Figure Player in Smash, and a physical collectable figure/toy, and also a few little misc. extras in Hyrule Warriors. Sure, maybe you'd have to own all those games to make it seem worth it, but the point is that amiibo are entirely optional. If you don't like them, and you don't think they're worth it, you don't need to worry. They don't affect you.

I would be cool with New FE Amiibo support, mostly because it would likely mean more FE Amiibos. If I'm going to be buying DLC, I may as well get a sweet figure for it as well. I really hope they aren't character unlocks, though. The Einherjar/SpotPass characters from old FEs coming back was actually my least favourite mechanic of FE:A by far because it felt so needlessly fanservicey and really broke immersion for me. I would much rather see, for example, an Ike figure give you a DLC map based on a map from FE9/10 or something, maybe a limited-use Ragnell or another Tellius item.

Also, for what it's worth, a lot of the increased prices for things in Europe is as a result of our higher taxes. VAT (similar to US sales tax) in the Netherlands is 21%, and it's a similar percentage in most other EU countries. This tax is also added when you purchase things online in the EU, unlike the US where you can buy many things online without paying a sales tax.

For an optional character in FE and STEAM, and a Figure Player in Smash, and a physical collectable figure/toy, and also a few little misc. extras in Hyrule Warriors. Sure, maybe you'd have to own all those games to make it seem worth it, but the point is that amiibo are entirely optional. If you don't like them, and you don't think they're worth it, you don't need to worry. They don't affect you.

Except there is no option to purchase the actual game content without buying a lot of unneeded stuff for games one might not even own in the first place. That's like you can't buy a bedside lamp without buying an entire bedroom.

Of course that will affect me. And it will effect everyone else here as well. It's just a matter of time.

Going back to unit sharing for a moment, this was actually in Shadow Dragon in Awakening, so it's much more likely than I realized.

Oh yeah, sharing. Since we are talking about a 3DS game, even using Amiibos to share data would be pointless since the 3DS can do that just as easily without any additional hardware.

Edited by BrightBow

Also, for what it's worth, a lot of the increased prices for things in Europe is as a result of our higher taxes. VAT (similar to US sales tax) in the Netherlands is 21%, and it's a similar percentage in most other EU countries. This tax is also added when you purchase things online in the EU, unlike the US where you can buy many things online without paying a sales tax.

Huh, I actually didn't know about this. But now I know why I found stuff in Europe to be expensive. xP

Going back to unit sharing for a moment, this was actually in Shadow Dragon in Awakening, so it's much more likely than I realized.

I barely played SD, so I didn't know about this either. Interesting.

I basically agree with BrightBow here…..

Using Amiibos as a vehicle for DLC would be highly inefficient for the player.

I wouldn't have a problem if you could buy the DLC separately OR get it as an unlock tied to the Amiibo, with both options unlocking the same content.

That way, if you just wanted the DLC you could get that without the hassle and expense of dealing with an unwanted Amiibo, while if you actually wanted the figure you could grab the amiibo and still get the DLC that's tied to it.

But the issue is this is not how Amiibo is currently seeming to shape up to work.

The point is that the DLC is overpriced unless perhaps if you have all of the multiple games it affects, plus some might not want to have to deal with the clutter of an amiibo.

Traditional DLC really is far more convenient. Not to mention that as its digital there is an unlimited supply of it, rather than there only being finite amiibos out there.

If they release a Fire Emblem line when this game releases and then I'd be down but if not then I'm not sure. Amiibo sell out way to fast and I would hate to not have access to my favorite characters because I didn't buy an adapter and a figure. that's at least 30 bucks. Getting a new 3ds currently isn't in the question although I might buy a Fire Emblem edition new 3ds.

Figures are more fun. And they look like your favorite characters. Also, we ARE getting something in that deal, more content for our game. The content isn't already there, it's more like DLC.

If only they would release Amiibos for non-lead FE characters that I do like, then maybe.

But if they add amiibo compatability thats a nice bonus for me. I'll be honest the whole amiibo thing basically sold me on Project STEAM.

Yeah, same here! I didn't have any interest in Code Name Steam until the Direct said that FE Amiibos would be compatible and add the characters to your game. I'll play anything with Ike in it!

I prefere unlockable content over stuff you'd have to unlock with expensive and rather ugly looking figures.

Unless they make them card-based and much more cheap, I absolutely don't support this new direction Nintendo is going right now.

I prefere unlockable content over stuff you'd have to unlock with expensive and rather ugly looking figures.

Unless they make them card-based and much more cheap, I absolutely don't support this new direction Nintendo is going right now.

Are you blind? $13 is a great price for these figures. I've seen uglier figures go for way more. And I don't think Amiibos are ugly at all. Not as nice looking as the prototypes we saw, sure, but not ugly, imo. But your choice. I personally really like the idea of Amiibos.

Edited by Anacybele

Are you blind? $13 is a great price for these figures. I've seen uglier figures go for way more. And I don't think Amiibos are ugly at all. Not as nice looking as the prototypes we saw, sure, but not ugly, imo. But your choice. I personally really like the idea of Amiibos.

Have you seen actual pictures of the amiibo for Ike (not of the prototype)? It's pretty awful, if you ask me, especially that angled Ragnell.

It really isn't the greatest direction Nintendo could be going, but to be fair, the idea is neat.

I've seen quality in the figures range from pretty good to pretty bad.

Though, the principle I think is that you can only use one amiibo per game. If I wanted to play all of the games with fire emblem DLC, I'd need one of each of the 4 (Robin, Ike, Marth, Lucina) for Smash, and another one for each for Project Steam. That's over $100 for multiple games' sake, and that's not even looking at Mario and Link and how they're on more games. If the capability were to have an Amiibo function for all games that they touch, then that'd be a different thing, but something like $13 for an additional playable character in a Project Steam when I already shoved out $13 on Marth just seems like too much for me, for the quality that I'm getting.

...you know, $13 is a bit much for some simple DLC.

...but then again, for the instance of Project STEAM, it isn't, "simple" DLC...

...Plus, we get a PRETTY sweet figure, so... I guess it is worth the $13

Though, the principle I think is that you can only use one amiibo per game. If I wanted to play all of the games with fire emblem DLC, I'd need one of each of the 4 (Robin, Ike, Marth, Lucina) for Smash, and another one for each for Project Steam. That's over $100 for multiple games' sake, and that's not even looking at Mario and Link and how they're on more games. If the capability were to have an Amiibo function for all games that they touch, then that'd be a different thing, but something like $13 for an additional playable character in a Project Steam when I already shoved out $13 on Marth just seems like too much for me, for the quality that I'm getting.

No, you can use your Amiibos for multiple games not named Smash Bros. or Mario Party 10. So far, those two are the only games that actually will store data in your Amiibo. Other games like Hyrule Warriors only has you scan them to unlock some content. It's the same with Code Name Steam, you just scan your Amiibo and the character appears in your game. I'm pretty sure that's what the Direct said, anyway.

And obviously, Mario Party isn't going to even use FE Amiibos...

• 3 weeks later...

So, one idea that I've been mulling over for the longest time. Expanding the amiibo comparability beyond just the FE Characters either:

A) Full Special Characters

or

B) Special Weapon Unlocks

So like with the other idea's of allowing Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina in with their respective amiibo's they could expand this to the other amiibos. While not exactly keeping the full immersion of the game, it could be interesting. Especially if implemented well. The thing that got me on this idea was that I don't see many of the amiibo getting a full new game that they could partake in, and I began to wonder what type of game they could fit in. As I heard about this new game, I realized this could be it. Considering the massive amount of characters in Awakening.

Personally I think it would be cool if they made the characters, and not just make them bland cookie cutter characters. The first character I thought of was Pit from kid icarus (arguably my favourite amiibo bar Robin). I imagined how he was represented in his game and how they could work that into a FE game.

For those that don't know about Pit:

He's an angel, relying on a goddesses power to allow him to temporarily fly.

He can't fly.

He has a sword... bow... thing.

I thought that maybe they could make special classes for each Amiibo character, for example Pit being an Angel so having an Angel class. This new class could have its own layer of strategy: Use of bows and swords to fit Pit's theme, and has the ability to move over bad terrain (like a Pegasus knight) but with the inability to end on those terrains. This would keep his core theme the same, and allow for some more interesting strategic gameplay. He could also have some other drawbacks.

If not having the whole character, I thought it might be cool to have a special weapon based on the character. To use Pit as an example again: He has a bow that turns into a sword. So maybe he give's his bow when you use the amiibo and that bow works normally like a bow at range, but when used at a normal archer's weak spot of range one it turns into a sword (likely with a debuff of sorts) to add a shift in the strategy of archers.

Just my two cent's, thought it would be an interesting idea.