What will the "new challenges" be?

Ryo

Aside from the major choices the players have to make, Satoru Iwata also mentions that this game will feature challenges "the likes of which have never been seen in the series". I'm really curious what these new challenges could be, especially since they seem to be entirely original to this title.

What do you think (or want) of those challenges?

Edited by Ryo

I presume new mission types.

For example, keep a weak, aggressive enemy unit alive, while routing everything else. Said unit will always try to chase your units, not waiting for you to come into range.

For bonus points, said unit would turn into an Est next chapter.

Or perhaps something like Donnel's recruitment made into a requirement to not be game overed.

Alternatively, it could refer to picking one objective over another. Will you rout the enemy or try to escape?

Have they done anything like time limit (not turn limit) in the past FE games? Or perhaps adding secret booby trap-like tiles in maps which would damage/inflict status ailments/trap anyone who accidentally steps on it?

I also hope that they will make the requirements for recruiting new units more convoluted, but probably not in the same way as Radiant Dawn. I can't really think of a good example right now though.

EDIT: Okay, how about having a map with enemies and some allies, both side include a few characters that can be recruited. Your (optional) goal is to get them all, the main problem is they're gonna fight and subsequently kill one another. You have to make sure this doesn't happen, while defending them from the rest of the enemies. (So basically just like the situation with Libra and Tharja, but in a much grander scale, with more recruitable units).

Edited by Ryo

Ooh God no, not time limits, I can't deal with the stress, haha. That's one of the reasons I love the FE games - I can take my sweet time.

It could work for DLC chapters, maybe? Introduce a new kind of challenge.

Have they done anything like time limit (not turn limit) in the past FE games? Or perhaps adding secret booby trap-like tiles in maps which would damage/inflict status ailments/trap anyone who accidentally steps on it?

I also hope that they will make the requirements for recruiting new units more convoluted, nut probably not in the same way as Radiant Dawn. I can't really think of a good example right now though.

I don't recall time limits, mainly because it wouldn't work well in a turnbased game.

Booby Traps can be found in most of FE6's Gaiden chapters, actually. ... Now that I think about it, there weren't any gaidens without a gimmick. Similar gimmick chapters could be found in FE7/8, and there was the Incadecent Glow chapter in FE10, which reused the lava map trap.

I've heard about Berwick Saga having interesting recruitment requirements... but I've never played it myself, so I'm unsure.