3DS region-free exploit released (nothing extra* needed)

VincentASM

* Except an Internet connection, SD card reader and it doesn't work on the new Nintendo 3DS models (the ones releasing on 13th Feb in the west).

One such topic

Sadly I don't have a foreign region game to try, but lots of people have reported that it has worked for them.

My version of the instructions:

If you want to try it on that 3DS, what you need to do is download Launcher.dat and place it in the root directory of that 3DS's SD card (where you see folders such as "Nintendo 3DS" and "DCIM").

Next, open your 3DS and insert a wrong-region game (or the other way round).

Now the actual exploit: open the Download Play application, then after it loads, press HOME to return to the Home screen (let Download Play run in the background).

While this is happening, open the 3DS's Internet Browser, then go to Settings and clear your Cookies. Then go to this URL: go.gateway-3ds.com

If successful, you should get an error in the browser, "failed to load a part of this page". Then your 3DS screen should go black and stay black for a minute or so.

Then, cross your fingers, the wrong-region game should boot. At this stage, don't press HOME or it may crash your 3DS (harmless, but annoying). Instead, press the Power button when you want to end.

Brb, preo-ordering FE if.

DLC and patches don't work though.

Edited by VincentASM

Now, for a completely stupid question: Will this work for DS games?

DS games are not region locked, other than DSi enhanced games like the later Pokemon games(Black/White) and some others. Maybe someone's tested those, though.

Edited by PKLucas531

DS games are not region locked, other than DSi enhanced games like the later Pokemon games(Black/White) and some others. Maybe someone's tested those, though.

The game in question is FE12. This'll make my drafting life a billion times easier if it works!

The game in question is FE12. This'll make my drafting life a billion times easier if it works!

oh yeah, FE12 is region-locked, but I'm sure Vincent has it and could test it for you so that's a win/win?

If the exploit just launches whatever game is in the slot, then it should work. That's just a total guess on my part.

Edited by PKLucas531

IDK sort of paranoid that they(IS or nintendo) might find this exploit and find a way to get around it then I can't play FEif. so i'll just wait for vincent to maybe waste his money when he tests it so if it works then i'll go get it.

Sorry, forgot to mention it doesn't work for DSi games.

Apparently the DSi stuff is handled separately so don't get your hopes up for region-free DSi.

Ah, well. I'll use my DS then. Thank you for clearing that up~!

IDK sort of paranoid that they(IS or nintendo) might find this exploit and find a way to get around it then I can't play FEif. so i'll just wait for vincent to maybe waste his money when he tests it so if it works then i'll go get it.

They probably will. Just don't update your 3DS firmware : P

That said, it's probably hard if you only have one 3DS and like to keep with the times.

From now on, I'll try to keep my capture 3DS on the 9.4 firmware. I just hope I don't forget and press "OK" when a new system update appears...