I laughed more than I should have at this.

Dragoncat

I asked my mom to name some off the top of her head, she got Mario, Link (yes, correct gendered), Bowser, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, Ganondorf, Metal Mario (actually Wario), snowman dudes (Ice Climbers), she knows she heard the name Marth before, Kirby, Wigglytuff, Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario (is what she called Greninja), Shamus (Samus), Wii Fit Trainer, Pikmin (she really likes Pikmin, Pikmin 3 being the only game she's ever asked to play, unfortunately for her it is probably one of the most difficult games to understand if you're new to video games) and Shulk (she watched me play a bunch of Xenoblade awhile ago).

Is this a trend now? Lol, seen like three of these now. Maybe I should try it...

Anyway, it made me laugh.

Yeah I've seen a bunch too. I'd try it but my parents would probably just blow me off. My mom especially. She hates my gaming habit.

The dad called Ike "big badass sword dude."

Even people who don't recognize him think he's badass. :D

Also, the mom knew Daisy, but not Rosalina omg, I'm pleasantly surprised.

But lol that whole thing is funny. XD

My parents would recognize only the ones I've mentioned to them :P

Edited by Anacybele

The dad called Ike "big badass sword dude."

Even people who don't recognize him think he's badass. :D

And the mom called him King Arthur. I see a lady who would support him with Elincia *bricked*

My mother would probably call Peach "Princess Toadstool."

Technically correct. I've only played Super Mario World for the snes, but she was called that in it.

Edited by Dragoncat

Yeah, Peach used to be called Princess Toadstool. She was named that in all those old Mario NES and SNES games as far as I saw.

And the mom called him King Arthur. I see a lady who would support him with Elincia *bricked*

I wouldn't be surprised. XD

Also, she called the one FE character in that cast that ISN'T a royal/noble a royal. lol (Robin kinda gains noble status as Chrom's tactician and all, plus Validar becomes king of Plegia and Robin is Validar's kid).

Edited by Anacybele

The thing is she was always Peach in Japan. Toadstool was a Western thing that totally disappeared when SM64 was released worldwide using the name Peach.

Edited by Raven

Oh, really? I honestly had never known that. Learn something new every day though. :P

I still can't get over that dad saying that Ike is a badass sword dude... x3 Because he IS BADASS! Tis a reason I love him so. :D

Also, she called the one FE character in that cast that ISN'T a royal/noble a royal. lol (Robin kinda gains noble status as Chrom's tactician and all, plus Validar becomes king of Plegia and Robin is Validar's kid).

True, didn't think about that.

My mother would probably call Peach "Princess Toadstool."

Your mother is a wise woman.

Oh, really? I honestly had never known that. Learn something new every day though. :P

Wait a minute. What was your first Mario game? Hell, i didnt catch on to calling her Peach until like 1997. Was your first Mario game the N64 one?

My first was Super Mario All-Stars, so technically, one of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels was my first. Then I played Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

I never actually played SM64 until like a few years ago.

I think I first saw Peach get called Peach in Mario Golf 64. Then I was like "Oh, she's called Peach now? Okay, that's WAY better than Toadstool, lol."

Edited by Anacybele

She is called by both "Toadstool" and "Peach" in SM64, when you watch the game's intro and notice Peach signs her letter to Mario using both names. This makes the player think her full name is "Princess Peach Toadstool", but in later games "Toadstool" gets retconned entirely.

The way the name change happens in SM64 is actually kinda cute, as it shows that Peach and Mario are now in a closer relationship.

She is called by both "Toadstool" and "Peach" in SM64, when you watch the game's intro and notice Peach signs her letter to Mario using both names. This makes the player think her full name is "Princess Peach Toadstool", but in later games "Toadstool" gets retconned entirely.

The way the name change happens in SM64 is actually kinda cute, as it shows that Peach and Mario are now in a closer relationship.

Dude. My reaction was like "OMG SHE HAS A FIRST NAME! A FIRST NAME!" Even in the old Mario cartoons, she was just always "Princess" or Princess Toadstool. Im a little sad that Nintendo doesnt keep the Toadstool bit because of how formal it sounds. She wasnt even called Peach in Super Mario RPG (for the SNES) yet. The Peach Transition was a big deal for us die hard Mario fans.

My first was Super Mario All-Stars, so technically, one of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels was my first. Then I played Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

I never actually played SM64 until like a few years ago.

I think I first saw Peach get called Peach in Mario Golf 64. Then I was like "Oh, she's called Peach now? Okay, that's WAY better than Toadstool, lol."

I see. I like Toadstool...as a surname. BRING IT BACK, NINTENDO! emot-argh.gif

As a kid growing up playing Mario (the original Super Mario Bros. was actually the first video game I ever played, though at the time I preferred Duck Hunt), I actually welcomed the Peach name change with open arms. Obviously it was because "Peach" is a much prettier name for a princess than "Toadstool", ugh; who likes mushrooms anyway. And I still don't like mushrooms to this day.

Would be kind of funny to show this to my parents and see what they think, but I don't think they'd get any more than Mario and Peach. I'm not even sure if they'd recognize the new Pacman design (though if it were the older one they would for sure). Though they're both avid FB-gamers now, they never really liked video games while my sister and I were growing up, so at best they might recognize the others from TV commercials.

Child Kirie could never conceive of anyone ever honestly liking mushrooms and was dead certain that when she saw her dad eat them it was only to make her uncomfortable. Adult Kirie is a bit more tolerant of other people's tastes in food, and talks in the third person much less often.

I didn't actually play a lot of games as a kid because of my parents' aforementioned dislike of gaming, so when I did, it was mostly with friends. The NES I played actually belonged to my uncle who lived in the same house as my grandparents, mom, and me. I played a lot of Mario and Sonic at friends' houses because they were easy to pick up. Later home gaming was done upstairs in my sister's room rather than on the main TV in the living room, which is why I'm sure my parents probably wouldn't recognize any of the characters unless they saw them on TV or through some other source. :p

Edited by Kirie

Haha mushrooms...I dun like them either. I'm a pretty picky eater actually...but regardless of whether they're liked or not, Peach does fit a princess better imo.