Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown, ~'Cause we're Artists! Don't need no Reasons~ (9/9: suggestions?) ideas and discussion thread.

ErrantDShepherd

Battle Sprite Compy poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Battle Sprites? (please make sure to add exclamation points)

• YES! They are fun... and stuff!
    • NO! (why am I even in this thread?)
    • MAYBE!? I dunno... if they look good, I guess.
    • Purple Monkey Dishwasher...
    • Definitely Maybe?
    • STILL NO! (Seriously, why are you even in this thread?)
    • ...SPOOOOOOOOON!
    • Other. (Please elaborate in post)
  2. 2. What Topic/Themes would you like to see? (choose as many as you like)

• Avatar Adventures! Sprite your avatar.
    • Man/Woman in the Mirror! Sprite Yourself! (proof optional)
    • The Monster Mash! Sprite a Monster!
    • The Great Gender Swap! Sprite a pre-existing character/class as the opposite gender!
    • Baby Blues... Make a child/offspring of two pre-existing characters! (Can be same gender, can be different species, BonewalkerxLyn for the win?)
    • The Reclassifieds... sprite a pre-existing character in a new class.
    • Shades of the Past! Sprite a pre-GBA Fire Emblem character/class/creature...(Includes DS designs, FE 1/2/3/4/5/11/12)
    • Shades of Tellius! Sprite a GC/Wii era Fire Emblem character/class/creature. (FE 9/10, PoR/RD)
    • Shade of the Future! Sprite a 3DS era character/class/creature. (FE 13/14, Awakening/FEif)
    • Heroes reimagined! Sprite a GBA era character/class/creature in a new way/design. (FE 6/7/8)
    • Crossover Chaos! Sprite a pre-existing video game character in Fire Emblem style.
    • Movie Madness! Sprite based on a Movie.
    • Book Club! Sprite based on a Book.
    • The OC... sprite an original character!
    • Other. (Please elaborate in thread)
    • The Animated Challenge... Every few contests, an animation based week.
    • FRANKENSTEIN... Make the best sprite you can incorporating multiple bases.
    • Pimp My Mount! Make the best/coolest/craziest mount you can sprite/design.
    • Welcome to the Jungle! Animal spriting competition, no humans allowed.
    • Modern Day Mayhem! Sprite a pre-existing FE character or class in more modern day equivalent/design. Either Military or Civilian accepted.
  3. 3. What Format for Voting? (choose one)

• 1 single vote... Screw Divisions/Categories!
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit, Overall. 1 vote each.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit: 1 vote each. Best Overall: multiple votes.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit, Overall. All multi-votes. Tiebreaker, single vote if needed.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit:1 vote each. Third Category: "Pick which ones you like!" multi-vote. Best Overall=most votes total.
    • Best in theme: single vote. Pick which ones you like: multi-vote.
    • 3 votes... 1st place choice, 2nd place choice, 3rd place choice. Votes weighted.
    • I really don't care about the voting format.
    • Other. (Please elaborate in thread)

Sorry, but I couldn't. I didn't have anything else to make.

Also, wow. You guys just hit a whole new level of immaturity by resorting to bullying me. And people have called me immature.

You are.

Whether some of us are also being immature or not, doesn't take away from your own.

I will wholly and entirely accept that I am being kind of immature right now

but the amount of stubbornness and refusal to accept things for what they are you put into your arguments, doesn't make me feel that bad about the level I'm stooping to.

And good luck. If ErrantShepherd is smart and fair, he'll allow my entry.

His intelligence and his sense of fairness have nothing to do with the contest. It's part of the rules. Brace yourself.

Edited by I have opinions

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are.

Whether some of us are also being immature or not, doesn't take away from your own.

I will wholly and entirely accept that I am being kind of immature right now

but the amount of stubbornness and refusal to accept things for what they are you put into your arguments, doesn't make me feel that bad about the level I'm stooping to.

Except I'm not. I'm not the one mocking other people's posts or posting mock pictures.

Why should I be forced to accept something that I believe is entirely wrong?

Edited by Anacybele

Except I'm not. I'm not the one mocking other people's posts or posting mock pictures.

Why should I be forced to accept something that I believe is entirely wrong?

Your stubbornness is your immaturity.

Because it'll make the fall less far when Errant comes in and agrees with his own rules.

Stubbornness does not equate to immaturity.

Of course he should agree with his own rules. Nobody is saying he shouldn't. I'm saying that I didn't break any.

Tantrum? What the hell do you think I am, a preschooler?

If ErrantShepherd actually disallows my entry for whatever reason, that's his choice and I have to abide by it. I just won't be entering the contest due to there being too little time left to do so, and likely won't be entering anymore in the future due to not agreeing with the rules. Simple as that. No need for any tantrums or fits. I'll be pretty disappointed if this happens, but that's it.

If he actually allows Ana's entry, next competition is gonna be spicy as fuck.

I already know what I'll enter.

A lot of the time, yes.

If ErrantShepherd actually disallows my entry for whatever reason, that's his choice and I have to abide by it. I just won't be entering the contest due to there being too little time left to do so, and likely won't be entering anymore in the future due to not agreeing with the rules. Simple as that. No need for any tantrums or fits. I'll be pretty disappointed if this happens, but that's it.

You're throwing a tantrum right now. For the past half-hour you've been yelling like a child who didn't get that toy they really wanted because some people pointed out the rule you broke.

You're throwing a tantrum right now. For the past half-hour you've been yelling like a child who didn't get that toy they really wanted because some people pointed out the rule you broke.

loooool. I should sig this just because it's so funny and untrue, but I have no room for it. Throwing a tantrum would be yelling and whining and screaming like a baby, which I am clearly not doing. All I did was explain why my entry should be valid. I put some emphasis on one sentence by using caps because the rest of you wouldn't acknowledge it the first time around.

A lot of the time, yes.

You don't know me at all then. Because I don't act like that.

Perhaps not in real life, but this is your SF persona to a T

I sincerely hope you're different with actual people.

Nope, I don't act like that here either. I'll admit that I used to be a pretty immature brat. But I moved on from that a long time ago.

I'd like to remind anybody just now entering the thread, that "I have opinions" is Trent AKA Seph1212, one of the original hosts for the splice comps. In fact, correct me if wrong, but Trent aren't you actually THE guy who started competitions in the fandom, maybe? So like, when Trent says "This isn't supposed to be allowed in the comps" he's speaking not just as a guy who enters comps, but someone who ran them for years and who is among those who started the entire concept of having competitions.

And Ana, gonna lay off the sarcasm for a single post here. I can see that you don't care or see how badly this entry affects the competition, so I'll be a straight shooter. If we allow your entry, we're basically saying that old edited sprites are A-OK! There's no reason why after allowing yours we won't allow many others, completely undermining the entire point of comps, which is on-the-spot creativity. What's next? Reposting old mugs in the splice comp that are a little recolored? Do you literally lack the capacity to see how this hurts the competition spirit? It's not about you, it's about everyone else down the road. It's like how when gay marriage passed the supreme court for the first time, it opened up the floodgates and now they have to allow all states to petition for it. You can't allow for one and not the other, that's unfair. (And in the case of the supreme court decision, it would also be unconstitutional to give special allowances to one state over another except in the most extreme circumstances.)

So, maybe now you can look past the bridge of your nose and see the big picture. Put down the victim complex and start thinking rationally,okay?

I'd like to remind anybody just now entering the thread, that "I have opinions" is Trent AKA Seph1212, one of the original hosts for the splice comps. In fact, correct me if wrong, but Trent aren't you actually THE guy who started competitions in the fandom, maybe? So like, when Trent says "This isn't supposed to be allowed in the comps" he's speaking not just as a guy who enters comps, but someone who ran them for years and who is among those who started the entire concept of having competitions.

I'm not

sry klok

:x

So, maybe now you can look past the bridge of your nose and see the big picture. Put down the victim complex and start thinking rationally,okay?

you realize she won't

Edited by I have opinions

Well yeah, old edited sprites by themselves wouldn't be allowed, you're right. The difference here is that I entered it with a brand new work.

Also, I never said anything about anyone attacking me except when that mock post and picture were posted. Nobody else was ever attacking me besides that. So I'm not all "everyone's out to get me."

I'm glad you're being civil about this though, unlike some people. Thanks.

I know you ran comps on the old FEU for a long time, and I assumed also FESS. Still, it stands you know more about running a comp than she does.

I've run competitions that worked out just fine, thank you. Not on this site, but still. You shouldn't blindly question other people's knowledge.

Edited by Anacybele

loooool. I should sig this just because it's so funny and untrue, but I have no room for it. Throwing a tantrum would be yelling and whining and screaming like a baby, which I am clearly not doing. All I did was explain why my entry should be valid. I put some emphasis on one sentence by using caps because the rest of you wouldn't acknowledge it the first time around.

You literally said that no one is allowed to tell you that you're wrong despite the rules stating clearly that no work is allowed, and stuck your fingers in your ears when others explained why your entry is invalid. That one sentence you "emphasized" came off as overly aggressive, and the rest of your posts can be best summed as "Nuh UH I'm right and YOU'RE WRONG, just deal with it." I acknowledged it the first time around. I specifically said that I am not running the contest, but that doesn't mean I can't read. I stated the rules, and you denied it just because you don't want to accept that your entry is invalid.

And running a competition does not make you the leading authority on competitions. If you were such an authority, you would realize that you broke one of the only rules of this competition.

I don't see how that equates to being a tantrum either, whether I was acting that way or not.

And I can read too, you know. And no where does it say that you can't post new work that has some old stuff with it.

And running a competition does not make you the leading authority on competitions. If you were such an authority, you would realize that you broke one of the only rules of this competition.

You THINK I broke it. I think I didn't, and that's final. If ErrantShepherd feels otherwise, though, that's just how the cookie crumbles. It's his competition, not mine, so I can't force him to let my entry in. I don't think it would be fair if he didn't, but it would be wrong and rude to try to stop him.

Why would it not be fair? You said yourself that it was an old work you edited, and the rules very clearly state no old work.

I KNOW you broke it. There is no loopholes to be found here. I can't take an old sprite that I made a few months ago and enter it in the competition just because I thought it was a perfect match for the theme. It is unfair to the other competitors because I could have worked on that sprite for far longer than anyone else, and that gives me an unfair advantage over everyone else because they only had a couple of weeks to make their entry.

You can think whatever you like but that doesn't make it true. I think I'm a pretty princess from outer space that can burp butterflies and fart rainbows but all that ever comes out is gas.

Edited by Kon

Once again, I said that only THE DRAGON was modified from an old work. It was posted with completely new work. NEW. That's why I think it should still be allowed. If I had simply posted the original dragon and that was it, then I would have definitely broken that rule.

You can think whatever you like, but that doesn't make it true either.

Once again, I said that only THE DRAGON was modified from an old work. It was posted with completely new work. NEW. That's why I think it should still be allowed. If I had simply posted the original dragon and that was it, then I would have definitely broken that rule.

You can think whatever you like, but that doesn't make it true either.

THE DRAGON is the only offender of the rule. Remove THE DRAGON and your entry is no longer invalid. THE DRAGON is the ONLY THING PREVENTING YOUR ENTRY FROM BEING VALID BECAUSE IT IS NOT A NEW WORK

Did I EMPHASIZE enough for you?

Ok...I'm not gonna bother copy pasting the whole back and forth... just the bits I found relevant. (My replies are in bold)

4) No posting previous/old works.

-Klok's quoting of rule 4 of the contest in reply to your entry post seems pretty straight forward...

Well yeah, old edited sprites by themselves wouldn't be allowed, you're right. The difference here is that I entered it with a brand new work.

-Ok.

I actually made that dragon a long time ago, I just recolored it to make it my new Blue Dragon class and fixed the shading

-This statement you made in your entry post would seem to contradict that.

And no where does it say that you can't post new work that has some old stuff with it.

-I thought this was pretty clear/easy to understand, I will make sure to tweak the wording for this to clear up any such confusion in the future.

It's his competition, not mine, so I can't force him to let my entry in. I don't think it would be fair if he didn't, but it would be wrong and rude to try to stop him.

-It would not be fair for me to allow this entry in.

-There are two reasons behind this rule that I stand behind.

1) allowing previous/old works would give an unfair advantage to certain entries, two weeks is a good amount of time to work on an entry... how fair would it be to have to go up against something someone spent months or even a year on?

2) creating brand new works, encourages creativity and artistic growth and development, kinda what the whole art forums are about... isn't it?

Its pretty clear. The Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown and pretty much all the competitions on here do not allow previously made works to be submitted as entries. As I said, it keeps things fair and also promotes growth and creativity in the community.

But if for example, Thor or Merc's entry was something they had made months ago and decided to recolor and submit it into this contest, that would be tremendously unfair. You could rightfully call it not cool and be extremely upset they did that. :\

-----

But there is no need to get defensive, or upset here.

Ana, as you have stated, its simple, your entry is using a previous work that you have recolored and reshaded.

This goes against the spirit of the competition, and is against the rules outlined in all iterations of this contest. If it was somehow edited beyond just straight up recoloring, you might have a case here.(that could have been taken to PM with me instead of arguing here) But as you yourself stated:

I actually made that dragon a long time ago, I just recolored it to make it my new Blue Dragon class and fixed the shading

Therefore it is not a "new work" and is an invalid entry. If you resubmit with a new monster or a new Dragon not made from this invalid entry, or something old/previously created, your entry will be fine. :)

You still do have a full 24 hours to create something new, whether an edit of a base GBA sprite or full scratch... I am sure you can create something really good if you put your mind to it, as your Frederick entry last comp was great. That's how much time everyone has left unless we get a decent amount of people asking for more time. :D

Why has this taken up three pages?

...if anyone seriously has some confusion about a rule or entry in the future, please send me a PM, or discuss it in the ideas and feedback thread in the Spriting forum... instead of filling three pages worth of the entries thread with repetitive arguments. ;)

---------

Anyways... in other news, I am really looking forward to the voting this time round. I hope I can get my entry in on time this time around too. XD

(Finally came up with an idea I really really like. :D)

The OC requirement just means BTW that it can't be something like... Jacob from Twilight, or Sonic the Hedgehog, or that wolf guy from Dark Stalkers... But one could make their own Werewolf, have fun with it. Your OC can be something you make up right on the spot. ;)

Therefore it is not a "new work" and is an invalid entry. If you resubmit with a new monster or a new Dragon not made from this invalid entry, or something old/previously created, your entry will be fine. :)

You still do have a full 24 hours to create something new, whether an edit of a base GBA sprite or full scratch... I am sure you can create something really good if you put your mind to it, as your Frederick entry last comp was great. That's how much time everyone has left unless we get a decent amount of people asking for more time. :D

Why has this taken up three pages?

...if anyone seriously has some confusion about a rule or entry in the future, please send me a PM, or discuss it in the ideas and feedback thread in the Spriting forum... instead of filling three pages worth of the entries thread with repetitive arguments. ;)

---------

Anyways... in other news, I am really looking forward to the voting this time round. I hope I can get my entry in on time this time around too. XD

(Finally came up with an idea I really really like. :D)

The OC requirement just means BTW that it can't be something like... Jacob from Twilight, or Sonic the Hedgehog, or that wolf guy from Dark Stalkers... But one could make their own Werewolf, have fun with it. Your OC can be something you make up right on the spot. ;)

This has been done. Thank you Mods! (Nightmare was ridiculously helpful and quick) :D

I would ask that any further discussion on this topic or debate of the rules go to the ideas/feedback/discussion thread in spriting to allow people to just enjoy the contest thread without the drama.

here

----

Enjoy the rest of the comp! :D

Thought it would relevant reposting these here... for those confused as to why this thread became a bunch of pages worth of argument all of the sudden. ;)

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

So I see the discussion was moved here. Well anyway, let's see if I can try to explain this clearly...

You're right, if someone had simply recolored and reshaded something and then posted it here, that wouldn't be fair. But I made a new sprite and posted it a long with the edited dragon. I thought this would at least be allowed, but it seems not. It was confusion with the rules, nothing more.

Hopefully you understand why your work broke the rules by now (it's only been repeated hundreds of times by people now). But you don't seem to understand yet why it is an unfair entry...

The reason it is still unfair, even with some new stuff added in, is because you only created a part of your work from scratch. Yes it was tough. Well good for you~ Yes you made some changes to the old sprite but here's why it's still not enough:

Take somebody who would have also made a person and a dragon (like Thor) and that person made the human and the dragon out of scratch. You only worked on the human out of scratch. That person would have come up with completely new ideas and did their own work on the entire thing, but you took a premade idea and changed it up a bit while slapping on a new human sprite. So....

New human sprite+new dragon sprite > new human sprite+old, edited dragon sprite.

A whole new idea > a partially new idea.

1+1 > 1+0.5.

Does that clarify enough for you yet?

And I just feel like you're going to try say that "what if somebody else made a sprite that was smaller/took less work than mine, then it's uneven again!" But I guess that would be way too restricting on creativity to make everybody have the same pixel size/detail amount etc. So I guess it's not quite that I mean to say everybody needs to put in the same effort, the point of the rule is that the amount of work everybody puts into their work matches in proportion to how much work it should have taken to make the whole thing. And in this case, the plan is people must make the entire thing from scratch.

And please, enough of this "people just don't want me around here". It's not because it's your entry, it's because it's an entry that went against the rules, which honestly are very fair rules. It's to ensure people are bringing in new creativity, and don't forget this is the creative section so it's really not a bad idea. So I also ask you quit giving Errant smack for his rules (and by that I mean as in your comments like "I hope you're happy losing somebody you thought was good because of your stupid rules") because his intentions are not bad. The intent is to be fair and stir up creativity, because creativity is fun! You seem to feel as if this is all bad because you feel targeted from all this, but don't forget this applies to everybody........... really the only reason the situation went so out of hand is because neither side would quit arguing, even when what everyone was saying was starting to get really repetitive >u> it would be so so nice to have eCut back. I see this place just doesn't get that much moderation, again.

and now while she barges randomly into the creative section she bounces right back out

I still didn't understand at first, but now I do. That's all I needed to know, was that even an entry that has old work, but also a brand new work is still considered unfair. But no one made that clear enough for me. They simply said "posting an old sprite is unfair" even though I repeatedly said that I also posted a new sprite. This is what got me confused and, well, angry.

And then they said if I take out the dragon, my entry would be fine. But it still wouldn't because it then wouldn't have any creatures/animals in it. You can't tell just by looking at the human form that she's a dragon laguz.

You simply explained it to me much better, Freohr, and without resorting to mocking one of my posts or posting a mock picture or just plain getting hostile. Though I got kind of hostile too after awhile...

Although, I never called ErrantShepherd's rules stupid. I just don't agree with one of them. The rest are absolutely fine.