Live Action Legend of Zelda Series for Netflix?

ClevelandSteve

Game Xplain video (thumbnail is from an old IGN April Fool's joke. That guy isn't what Link is going to look like. They don't even have writers yet, much less a cast):

What do you make of this? If this rumor is true, I'm honestly not that optimistic given the quality of most video game adaptations. Hopefully, this defies expectations and is actually good.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

That Link looks like some homeless street guy. Glad he's not the real deal.

But I wouldn't be interested in this anyway. I'd rather a Zelda show/movie be animated. I just don't see it looking very good in live action, no matter what's done.

That Link looks like some homeless street guy. Glad he's not the real deal.

You made me want a Zelda game where Link is a hobo destined for greatness.

Please no. Keep Zelda in games where it belongs. I mean how the hell would they even do Link? He has literally no lines other than grunts and screams. Lets keep it that way...

Well, exscuse me Princess.

Please no. Keep Zelda in games where it belongs. I mean how the hell would they even do Link? He has literally no lines other than grunts and screams. Lets keep it that way...

Actually, he does have lines, we just don't ever see them.

I wish I didn't have to explain this to people over and over... I apologize, it's just that people calling Link silent/mute is a pet peeve of mine.

An exchange I observed:

Respondent 1: I find myself wanting to watch it out of morbid curiosity.
Responded 2: It can't be any worse than the acting in the CD-I games.

Respondent 3: Okay, so they're describing it as "Game of Thrones for a family audience," which is obviously how you'd describe any show with swords in it that's directed at a family audience. I mean, it's not like anyone's going to say, "It'll be a lot like Ladyhawke." Not in this decade. But I kind of hope it really is like Game of Thrones, with all the political maneuvering and countermaneuvering. I want to see Lon Lon Ranch and the Happy Mask Salesman work to overthrow Groose during his brief but bloody period on Hyrule's throne, only to have their economic alliance fall apart due to rumors spread by Tingle, working on orders from the Gerudo Thieves' Guild. But where do Tingle's true loyalties lie?

Responded 1 again: Okay, I've revised my opinion: I'm fine with this on the condition that Link never talks. The writers aren't allowed to draw attention to it, either.

Actually, he does have lines, we just don't ever see them.

I wish I didn't have to explain this to people over and over... I apologize, it's just that people calling Link silent/mute is a pet peeve of mine.

If we don't see them, he doesn't have lines.

If you're a character in a play and you have no speaking part, you have no lines. It doesn't matter if there are some understood communications of some sort, that's a silent character. Link is a silent character (except for battle grunts).

No, he is not. He can clearly talk since we often see him moving his lips and he has a voice since he grunts and yells. That is not being silent.

Also, TWW Link has a couple actual words. He says "Come on!" and "Yay!"

Edited by Anacybele

No, he is not. He can clearly talk since we often see him moving his lips and he has a voice since he grunts and yells. That is not being silent.

Also, TWW Link has a couple actual words. He says "Come on!" and "Yay!"

Ugh.

We've been over this before. It does not matter if it is understood that he can talk. The fact is, he doesn't talk, therefore he is considered a silent character.

Calling him mute is just a joke.

I detest this attitude and wish fandom wasnt so fucking greedy and stingy. Seriously, the bullshit im seeing about this in terms of opposition is irritating the fuck out of me. Nintendo hasnt let anyone touch their IPs in literally 22 years. (at least when it comes to live action) Why the fuck would they relent now if they werent certain that a good job would be done? Also, its Netflix who get the rights. That means its distribution is exclusive. As a Zelda fan, ive been wanting a good adaptation for years now. I also have a niece who is now saying Zelda is her favorite game series ever next to Pokemon. She would lose her shit if there was a good, not ancient adaptation for it.

You never know, it could be the coolest thing in the universe. Also, i think a series could work best with Link as a young boy around 12.

We've been over this before. It does not matter if it is understood that he can talk. The fact is, he doesn't talk, therefore he is considered a silent character.

I think I see a contradiction here.

You admit that he can talk, but then say he can't talk? Uh...sure.

Doesn't =/= can't.

I have a friend who doesn't talk … much. He's so quiet I forget he's there most of the time. Does that mean he can't talk? No. It means he doesn't talk, either because there's nothing to say or he doesn't want to. There is no contradiction.

As for an LoZ live action series, I say don't knock it until you try it. If it turns out as badly as the AtLA and DB live action movies, then you can scream. Until then, calm down.

Okay, but what I'm saying is that Link DOES talk because he's seen moving his lips and explaining things to people and telling them his name. Just because we don't see his dialogue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I think I see a contradiction here.

You admit that he can talk, but then say he can't talk? Uh...sure.

Are you even reading.

Just because he can do something doesn't mean he does. "He can talk." "He doesn't talk." Where is the contradiction?

I have a check for $180 sitting on my desk. I can rip it up, but I'm not going to.

Okay, but what I'm saying is that Link DOES talk because he's seen moving his lips and explaining things to people and telling them his name. Just because we don't see his dialogue doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

It doesn't matter if there are some understood communications of some sort, that's a silent character.

Players and Nintendo alike consider Link a silent character. Just get over it.

Nintendo considers Link to be a silent character? lol they don't know the definition of silent then.

I've found plenty of people that agree with me that Link is not silent, for the record.

Nintendo considers Link to be a silent character? lol they don't know the definition of silent then.

I've found plenty of people that agree with me that Link is not silent, for the record.

Link is silent. He is not mute. In the context of video games those are two different concepts.

I detest this attitude and wish fandom wasnt so fucking greedy and stingy. Seriously, the bullshit im seeing about this in terms of opposition is irritating the fuck out of me. Nintendo hasnt let anyone touch their IPs in literally 22 years. (at least when it comes to live action) Why the fuck would they relent now if they werent certain that a good job would be done? Also, its Netflix who get the rights. That means its distribution is exclusive. As a Zelda fan, ive been wanting a good adaptation for years now. I also have a niece who is now saying Zelda is her favorite game series ever next to Pokemon. She would lose her shit if there was a good, not ancient adaptation for it.

You never know, it could be the coolest thing in the universe. Also, i think a series could work best with Link as a young boy around 12.

Yeah but lets be honest. What are the chances it would even be good in the first place? I'm not gonna lie it would be badass if it was awesome but there are many examples where live action adaptation have gone horribly wrong (looking at you Dragonball Evolution and Avatar The Last Airbender). I feel Zelda is one series that probably wouldn't translate very well over to live action.

For starters what would the budget be like? Especially if Netflix gets the rights and its exclusive distribution that probably means its not getting very much to work with from the start. Secondly, do you go with an original story or one already establised. I would assume the latter if funds are limited and for marketing purposes but if thats so then significant rework would need to be (i.e lines for Link) to make it work. I guess you could keep him silent but I really don't know how you would work that in a modern film medium.

But hey if Nintendo/Netflix ever pull this off and its good then my hats off to them. I just can't see it happening.

EDIT: I guess I did come off a bit snarky there chalk that up to my poor attempt at being funny. I'll keep a skeptical if somewhat cynical open mind to this.

Edited by LordTaco42

I don't know about this whole "live action" thing because the fact of the matter is it's tough to make an elf kid who usually doesn't wear pants look cool in reality. I'm not sure whether this will turn out well, but heck, I'm excited. If it's bad, we'll forget about it like we did with that one Mario movie that never happened or those CDi games that I don't recall existing. And if by some chance it turns out well, then I'll watch the hell out of it.

I think live action would be hard to pull off but never know. It's a win win if it comes out good or so bad it's good. Just no in between please. Also the fake trailer looked good other than Link looked really old and he was right handed. Had a debate about Link being right or left handed on another forum I visit. Was worth the free popcorn. Finding voice acters for Link shouldn't be a problem... Maybe he needs a sidekick like Jay and Silent Bob.