Awesome Games Done Quick FE8 Speed Run

Probably because what you're suggesting almost required reading off a list of commands, which runs the risk of the making the run take too long. I can't imagine it being very easy to remember off hand and I also imagine one little RN shift could screw things up a decent amount if you keep to the script.

supposedly it's not that hard, lord raven. i certainly can't reproduce the entire FE6 run from memory, but it gets much easier when you're usually moving 1-2 characters per turn. you can also write your route to minimize RN burns and use as many L switches as possible so you don't have to remember exceptions.

I forget who it was, but soon after this run (in the post-marathon stream), a runner did a fixed RNG FE7 run and it went fine. Resetting the game resets the RNG string, so if you mess up, you only have to restart the one chapter. For a speedrunner, it doesn't seem any more difficult than remembering every detail in some 4-6 hour run of a game.

I stayed up until 6am to watch Bertin run FE8 and gave up at 8am when he was still at Ch15. I also strongly disagree with the OP, this run was very poorly planned. Yeah, he got RNG-screwed, but he didn't have enough backup plans and he took unnecessary risks that cost him as much as 15 minutes.

I'm no speed runner, but it sounded like, from Bertin's commentary, that if he had more stuff go his way, and it did in practice runs from what I could tell, it would have gone smoother. Chapter 15 was just cruel, though going YOLO on Caellach was a horrible idea.

"If only things had gone more my way."

This really isn't what you should be banking on in a marathon run. Plenty of games have RNG, but there should always be a backup unless it's so miniscule as to not really be able to waste much time (which this wasn't). There's the FE7 run I mentioned, but also take Gwimpage's RD run at AGDQ this year; he had transfers, stat boosters, and BEXP, so RNG was minimized even though he couldn't have full control over it. He had a small screw-up in 4-1, but covered it immediately. I don't remember if he had any other screw-ups or if anything else went not quite as planned, but if either did happen, he clearly knew how to resolve it.

Basically, Bertin chose to do a full RNG run and got nailed for it. I wouldn't be so hard on him normally, everyone makes mistakes or gets screwed over sometimes, but it was also the first FE run at a GDQ event, and it really gave people a bad taste for the series as a speedrun.

But, like, it's been over a year, anyway. I've stated my opinion then and now, so I'll let it be at that.

• 2 weeks later...

Bertin did a poorly planned run by someone who allegedly didn't practice enough and definitely didn't execute well. His command inputs are so slow compared to other FE runners. He almost got FE eliminated from AGDQ and I can't even fault the staff for it. Now FE isn't really the most AGDQ friendly game to begin with considering its length and all the enemy phases, but it didn't need a disaster like that to happen. If you don't want to get screwed by the RNG, either create proper backup strats or do a planned RNG run.

I forget who it was, but soon after this run (in the post-marathon stream), a runner did a fixed RNG FE7 run and it went fine. Resetting the game resets the RNG string, so if you mess up, you only have to restart the one chapter. For a speedrunner, it doesn't seem any more difficult than remembering every detail in some 4-6 hour run of a game.I stayed up until 6am to watch Bertin run FE8 and gave up at 8am when he was still at Ch15. I also strongly disagree with the OP, this run was very poorly planned. Yeah, he got RNG-screwed, but he didn't have enough backup plans and he took unnecessary risks that cost him as much as 15 minutes.

Molotov was the guy who did the FE7 run and it was awesome.

Gwimpage also did a very entertaining run that was so well planned I can barely remember any mistakes he made. They even spared a few seconds to voice over the Oliver recruitment scene. Staying up through the night was well worth it.

Bertin's run really just has no excuse in comparison.

In chapter 14, at about the 40 minute mark he has Seth and Vanessa (both rescuing other units) occupying the same square. I've never seen or heard of this glitch before. How does it work?

Edited by Radiant Dragon

@Radiant Dragon:

Moving 2 Units In The Same Square

Basically, when you draw a path for one unit that’s 1 space away from another unit, you can move the cursor towards the impeding unit for one frame, then move the cursor away from said unit while pressing A. This results in both units occupying the same square.

Get them to S support, and use the 'Sex' menu command. It's a feature, not a glitch.

S support is recommended, but not required.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly even though there was a major lack of backup strats and poor execution and whatnot, I still think the biggest problem with that run was him taunting the RNG at the start while explaining why he wasn't going to do a fixed run. Of course it came back to bite him, he had it coming.

Honestly even though there was a major lack of backup strats and poor execution and whatnot, I still think the biggest problem with that run was him taunting the RNG at the start while explaining why he wasn't going to do a fixed run. Of course it came back to bite him, he had it coming.

I've started watching more speedruns, Werster mostly, and for speed you can't really set any backups, at least that's how it looks to me. In any case, if you've ever watched werster's streams you'll see that he gets screwed over. Obviously, non-helpful luck-based things happen, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a really bad time for it to happen to Bertin in the original video.

However, as you said, never taunt the RNG. There really should have been a prayer session to it before the run started.

I've started watching more speedruns, Werster mostly, and for speed you can't really set any backups, at least that's how it looks to me. In any case, if you've ever watched werster's streams you'll see that he gets screwed over. Obviously, non-helpful luck-based things happen, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a really bad time for it to happen to Bertin in the original video.

However, as you said, never taunt the RNG. There really should have been a prayer session to it before the run started.

There are things that can kill runs, but Werster definitely knows how to adapt for the unplanned. You can have backups. Particularly in these GDQ marathons, when a trick goes badly runners often resort to "time for backup strats."

In this situation, if it wasn't a marathon, I imagine Bertin probably would have reset with how badly Str-screwed Seth was. But, well, no-reset run and all.

There are things that can kill runs, but Werster definitely knows how to adapt for the unplanned. You can have backups. Particularly in these GDQ marathons, when a trick goes badly runners often resort to "time for backup strats."

In this situation, if it wasn't a marathon, I imagine Bertin probably would have reset with how badly Str-screwed Seth was. But, well, no-reset run and all.

I'm not surprised by that. Is there a video I could watch that has an example of Werster going to a backup strategy?

Certainly. I bet he'd have loved to get the chance to reset.

Edited by Forceman

I'm not surprised by that. Is there a video I could watch that has an example of Werster going to a backup strategy.

I mean, if you watch his Pokemon runs (which I do), the nature of the game on its own necessitates that he's able to think on his feet. He's basically always incorporating some kind of backup.

I'm not surprised by that. Is there a video I could watch that has an example of Werster going to a backup strategy.

i'm pretty sure the GDQ pokemon marathons always use safe marathon strats. when werster's going for PB/WR, he'll use unsafe strats because that's how you get those kinds of times in pokemon speedrunning.

I mean, if you watch his Pokemon runs (which I do), the nature of the game on its own necessitates that he's able to think on his feet. He's basically always incorporating some kind of backup.

I've mostly been watching WR runs, so I'll have to dig a bit.