Class-specific promotion items or Master Seals?

lonelyVoxel

Which kind of promo item?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Master Seals only
    • Some class-specific items for special classes (e.g. Lords), otherwise Master Seals
    • Class-specific items only
    • Ah dun give a dern!
    • Location-based promotion (e.g. a shrine)
  2. 2. Do you want the option to promote by leveling up to 21?

• Yes
    • No
    • Derns given: 0

Then don't do it.

I personally never had a problem with it, though. I've always used as many promotion items as I needed, sold the rest, and been fine with cash.

Well hey that doesn't work as a tradeoff if you're supposed to defiantly refuse to choose one of the options on principle.

Idk man, FE already does a lot to encourage low manning. Forcing you to forfeit a lot of money if you want more breadth on your team seems excessive.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leveling to 21 seems like a nice convenience for promoting, but I like the feeling of collecting master seals and promotion items, waiting until they reach the desired level, and then using it.

Well hey that doesn't work as a tradeoff if you're supposed to defiantly refuse to choose one of the options on principle.

Idk man, FE already does a lot to encourage low manning. Forcing you to forfeit a lot of money if you want more breadth on your team seems excessive.

Uh, what do you mean? All I said was that if you don't like one option, don't use it. Some people will like it, and they will use it. That's why there's a choice.

Maybe Seals could show themselves at a reasonable point in the adevnture? Like, for instance, the very middle of the game?

That could work, especially since you'd be able to use more of them at that point. As long as it's staggered well enough that you can promote the necessary units at the proper time without having a mass of promoted units to sweep that part of the game. It's a pretty fine balance and I don't know the true answer, but it's better to have them focused more in the middle than in the beginning.

hmm I never got the point of specialized promoting items as they feel like excess artificial difficulty.

Personally I prefer the mechanic where you can chose to level up to 21 or use a master seal it becomes a matter of how do you want to go do you want to save money and promote w/ experience or do you wand to save experience for other party members and promote via item...

Honestly wasn't a fan of how awakening handled it the hybrid branch classes were pretty cool but the unlimited experience and seals override any feel of incentive in their use... I expect this feature to return as it brought in a larger market but...

(in regards to a system I feel a good trade off would be a reclassable branch system awakening style and the option to level to 21 with tier three classes that can't be reclassed anymore once promoted so the choice of third tier would be final...

Can't there be an option that says "doesn't matter to me?"

I just hope for the option to promote by leveling up to lv. 21 like in Tellius. Whatever promotion items exist or don't exist don't matter to me. xP

How about this: We keep it like the console games with auto promote at high level or anytime above level 10 with a master seal. The twist is: units would have to get to level 25 or so before promoting without an item. Also, those last five levels would not give any stat gains, they are just if you really want to promote without an item

auto-promote at 21 is cool.

master seals only, because the diversification of promotion items is worthless. if you want your lord/important characters to promote as part of the story, it can be done without items (eg, radiant dawn), my only wish is that the theoretical promotion wouldn't be super late in the story.

Master Seal on everything promotable, and free reclassing option by levelling to 21, instead of promotion.

Edited by Gradivus.

How about this: We keep it like the console games with auto promote at high level or anytime above level 10 with a master seal. The twist is: units would have to get to level 25 or so before promoting without an item. Also, those last five levels would not give any stat gains, they are just if you really want to promote without an item

Leveling up one or two times would be alright to promote, but I feel like five level ups sans stats would be a real pita to do.

Definitely master seals. For people who says the specific ones are more strategic: you are wrong, and it goes againt everything fe stands for.

So I have 4 items to promote knights, but I chose other units for my army. Fair?

Lvl up to 21 Please, was amazing

Definitely master seals. For people who says the specific ones are more strategic: you are wrong, and it goes againt everything fe stands for.

Class-specific promotion items were present in FE1, 3, 6, 7, and 8: A minority of FE games, to be sure, but their presence in five out of thirteen games hardly "goes against everything fe stands for."

That said, it's not practical unless each unit is restricted to one specific class, and that hasn't been the case since FE11. I would expect FE14 to use the same Master Seals and Second Seals that FE13 used, especially since they're both using the same engine.

Edited by Paper Jam

Class-specific promotion items were present in FE1, 3, 6, 7, and 8: A minority of FE games, to be sure, but their presence in five out of thirteen games hardly "goes against everything fe stands for."

Remember that in FE2 and 4 you had to go to a certain place to promote as well. Not sure about FE5, though.

That said, it's not practical unless each unit is restricted to one specific class, and that hasn't been the case since FE11. I would expect FE14 to use the same Master Seals and Second Seals that FE13 used, especially since they're both using the same engine.

Just because some games had it doesn't make it right. Each game has many characters to chose from, and it's hardly complementing that feature if you are gaining more promotion items for classes you are not using. Not sure again which fe it was, maybe 6 or 7, but you don't get nearly as many items to promote flying units as there are flyers. That forces you to kick some out. And if I want to use all 3 pegasi? And some wyverns too? That just forces your unit choice.

Also, nobody wants shrines to promote, like in gaiden? Was pretty okay, and makes 1% more sense than the seals.

Just because some games had it doesn't make it right. Each game has many characters to chose from, and it's hardly complementing that feature if you are gaining more promotion items for classes you are not using. Not sure again which fe it was, maybe 6 or 7, but you don't get nearly as many items to promote flying units as there are flyers. That forces you to kick some out. And if I want to use all 3 pegasi? And some wyverns too? That just forces your unit choice.

how is this inherently a bad thing.

Encouraging you to diversify your army could be considered a plus.

Also, in both FE6 and 7 there are secret shops where you can buy as many promotion items as you like.

how is this inherently a bad thing.

Encouraging you to diversify your army could be considered a plus.

Also, in both FE6 and 7 there are secret shops where you can buy as many promotion items as you like.

Well, first we need to see why diversity in units isn't practiced. If it is because people are ignorant as to the viability of unpopular classes, then class specific promo items would be a good way to get people to try new team compositions. However, if it is because some classes are just inferior to others during the campaign, then class specific promo items do not fix the core problem.

Not sure again which fe it was, maybe 6 or 7, but you don't get nearly as many items to promote flying units as there are flyers.

Well, in FE7 you either get three flying units and two Elysian Whips (in Eliwood's tale) or four flying units and three Elysian Whips (in Hector's tale). That's enough Elysian Whips for all but one of your flying units, and you can use an Earth Seal or the Secret Shop in Sands of Time if you really want to promote all of them.

And in FE6 you get four flying units and either three Elysian Whips (in the Sacae route) or four (in the Ilia route). In one case, again, you have enough promotion items for all but one of your fliers, and in the other, you have enough for all of them.

Edited by Paper Jam

And in FE6 you get four flying units and either three Elysian Whips (in the Sacae route) or four (in the Ilia route). In one case, again, you have enough promotion items for all but one of your fliers, and in the other, you have enough for all of them.

And you can buy an extra one in the secret shop before the route split.

Edit: not to say that FE6 doesn't have problems with distribution of promotion items. Hero Crests and Guiding Rings in particular are incredibly scarce, but that's in part because of how many classes use those two items.

Edited by #RR shinpichu

Good god almighty do I love the Tellius system where you can either promote at 21 or seal early. It's like a mix of FE4 and modern seal based promotion.

I think it would be swell to have master seals for second tier and class specific seals for third tier.

So like

Merc can go Hero with Master Seal but needs Hero Crest for Vanguard/Dread Fighter

Cav can also go Paladin with master seal but need Knight Crest for Gold Knight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm more fond of the idea of "get to 21 to promote" since I already get units (base & advanced) to level 20 anyway. For special classes though, I'd go with the class specific promo items. It would be even better if there were 3 tiers like in the Gamecube & Wii games. If that were the case, then for the 3rd tier I would then use the class promo items..