• Replies 27k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• null

• DragonFlames

• Sidereal Wraith

• Sooks

Banned because it’s convenient how in fe I always reset when I can’t get the village but in this chapter I don’t feel compelled to. Maybe it’s because I know it’s practically impossible since I’m probably doing these early considering the swarm of promoted units or because no one actually lives there? (At least that’s the vibe I get)

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Why do you want to use bad units anyway? Awakening hard is actually hard if that’s what you want.

Because I like using zeroes and turning them into heroes.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Banned because it’s nice that if you want to use characters based on who’s personality you like you aren’t screwed with a worthless piece of garbage

Bad doesn't mean unusable. If I like Nino, there's nothing stopping me from using her. Unbalance on the player side allows the player to choose their own difficulty-If I want a harder experience, I can not use good units. If every unit is equally powerful, I have no such choice. Even if the majority of units are good, players still should have the option to use inferior units if they want to.

Banned for making me go on an irrelevant rant...

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Bad doesn't mean unusable. If I like Nino, there's nothing stopping me from using her. Unbalance on the player side allows the player to choose their own difficulty-If I want a harder experience, I can not use good units. If every unit is equally powerful, I have no such choice. Even if the majority of units are good, players still should have the option to use inferior units if they want to.

Banned for making me go on an irrelevant rant...

Banned because this is what difficulty selection is for, no?

And also banned because I know it doesn’t mean unusable, I’m saying the player shouldn’t be forced into choosing a difficulty again because they want to use someone if that is for not unit related reasons.

Banned because thanks for the answer!

I’m not gonna attack next to him though, because if the enemy hits his 35 Lucina will die. And knowing this game’s rng, that’s not a good risk. It’s like fe6.

Banning myself because these S supports are odd.

Spoiler

Libra and Cordelia’s implies that Cordelia also has feelings for a grim and goes nowhere with it.

Panne and Ricken’s imply that they’re... getting married to be friends for life??? Wonder how that child ended up happening then. Real smooth Ricken. 👀

4 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Banned because this is what difficulty selection is for, no?

The only two FEs to actually to cover a high amount of difficulty settings are FE11 and 12. The rest generally have to cover wide amounts of difficulties, meaning that they're frequently either Very Hard or Very easy. (Take Three Houses, for example. Hard in Three Houses is very, very easy and Maddening is miles above it in terms of challenge. The cast is so balanced that I have little control of the difficulty and end up steamrolling the game on Hard regardless, and if I don't want to deal with the unfairness of Maddening, I have to settle for Hard.) There's nothing wrong with letting the player control the difficulty. To quote AnonymousSpeed: (Spoiled for size)

Spoiler

First is personal difficulty. You can challenge yourself by using bad units, and that's fun for a lot of people.

• This is the sort of difficulty I find fascinating in games. It's dynamic, unlike picking a difficulty from the start of the game, changing as you want it to or need it to. It's also very precise. Looking at Kid Icarus: Uprising, you might not be able to understand the difference between intensity 6 and 7. It's a weird abstraction that doesn't really mean anything other than telling you the level will probably be harder. However, the player can much more easily understand the impact using or not using a certain unit will have on their experience, that's intuitive and relates to the core gameplay.

[...]

Second is expression. You can use a unit just because you like them, and not for any practical reason.

• Now, there's no inherent conflict between using a unit you like and that unit being good, but it does create a unique relationship between players and their units when the choice isn't pragmatic or is even counterproductive. Fire Emblem has a lot of weird mechanics that really don't make sense and are probably objectively bad, but they somehow work out and the result of things like permadeath and growth rates is that you develop a personal attachment to units. Using a unit in spite of them being worse, merely for some favoritism, is a unique sort of thing Fire Emblem lets you do.
  • You might like a unit's personality, if they're a bad unit and you use them anyway, that immediately attaches you to that unit in a special way.
  • Some people like to put in the effort to train up a weak unit. This is nearly always a bad idea. It's fun though, but you can't really balance that. If they don't turn out quite good, they weren't worth the effort, but if they're too good, they break the game (which is actually a problem).

Third is dominant strategy. The attempt to balance units can often erase their unique features.

• Speed is the best stat, right? Not many units can be good without good speed. Movement is also very important.
  • Many people look at Armor Knights and see they're slow and have low move, and their idea to balance that is to remove those weaknesses. This is really lame and this design philosophy leads to all units being competent at the dominant strategy rather than unique or interesting or having niches or doing something cool or presenting a unique challenge to use them. People try to cut down on the differences in the important stats and the result is more homogeneous unit design.

Fourth, it just won't work.

• Like, literally ever. Balance has never actually happened.
  • What even is balance? Is FE6 Marcus a "balanced" unit? He has a definite purpose, that's for sure. However, you're extremely dependent on him for the first third of the game and he's completely useless for the last third. That goes against what most people consider balanced, but I think FE6 is better for having units that shine during specific periods. You could argue that such is a sort of balance, but I obviously don't care.
  • Don't let balance become more important than fun. The mistake many people make is wanting a game which is infinitely polished and played exactly how they want and sounds so good on a box that they forget how execution works.
  •  

While I don't agree with all of his points here, he makes many good ones.

Banned because the moon is very pretty tonight.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

The only two FEs to actually to cover a high amount of difficulty settings are FE11 and 12. The rest generally have to cover wide amounts of difficulties, meaning that they're frequently either Very Hard or Very easy. (Take Three Houses, for example. Hard in Three Houses is very, very easy and Maddening is miles above it in terms of challenge. The cast is so balanced that I have little control of the difficulty and end up steamrolling the game on Hard regardless, and if I don't want to deal with the unfairness of Maddening, I have to settle for Hard.) There's nothing wrong with letting the player control the difficulty. To quote AnonymousSpeed: (Spoiled for size)

Reveal hidden contents

First is personal difficulty. You can challenge yourself by using bad units, and that's fun for a lot of people.

• This is the sort of difficulty I find fascinating in games. It's dynamic, unlike picking a difficulty from the start of the game, changing as you want it to or need it to. It's also very precise. Looking at Kid Icarus: Uprising, you might not be able to understand the difference between intensity 6 and 7. It's a weird abstraction that doesn't really mean anything other than telling you the level will probably be harder. However, the player can much more easily understand the impact using or not using a certain unit will have on their experience, that's intuitive and relates to the core gameplay.

[...]

Second is expression. You can use a unit just because you like them, and not for any practical reason.

• Now, there's no inherent conflict between using a unit you like and that unit being good, but it does create a unique relationship between players and their units when the choice isn't pragmatic or is even counterproductive. Fire Emblem has a lot of weird mechanics that really don't make sense and are probably objectively bad, but they somehow work out and the result of things like permadeath and growth rates is that you develop a personal attachment to units. Using a unit in spite of them being worse, merely for some favoritism, is a unique sort of thing Fire Emblem lets you do.
  • You might like a unit's personality, if they're a bad unit and you use them anyway, that immediately attaches you to that unit in a special way.
  • Some people like to put in the effort to train up a weak unit. This is nearly always a bad idea. It's fun though, but you can't really balance that. If they don't turn out quite good, they weren't worth the effort, but if they're too good, they break the game (which is actually a problem).

Third is dominant strategy. The attempt to balance units can often erase their unique features.

• Speed is the best stat, right? Not many units can be good without good speed. Movement is also very important.
  • Many people look at Armor Knights and see they're slow and have low move, and their idea to balance that is to remove those weaknesses. This is really lame and this design philosophy leads to all units being competent at the dominant strategy rather than unique or interesting or having niches or doing something cool or presenting a unique challenge to use them. People try to cut down on the differences in the important stats and the result is more homogeneous unit design.

Fourth, it just won't work.

• Like, literally ever. Balance has never actually happened.
  • What even is balance? Is FE6 Marcus a "balanced" unit? He has a definite purpose, that's for sure. However, you're extremely dependent on him for the first third of the game and he's completely useless for the last third. That goes against what most people consider balanced, but I think FE6 is better for having units that shine during specific periods. You could argue that such is a sort of balance, but I obviously don't care.
  • Don't let balance become more important than fun. The mistake many people make is wanting a game which is infinitely polished and played exactly how they want and sounds so good on a box that they forget how execution works.
  •  

While I don't agree with all of his points here, he makes many good ones.

Banned because the moon is very pretty tonight.

Banned for changing my mind either convincing arguments.

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Banned because what do you mean by

Hide contents

has feelings for a grim?

Banned because hecking autocorrect. I meant

Spoiler

feelings for Chrom

Banned because does it ever pop up anywhere else though? I mean I guess she hinted at it alone in the barracks but...

Edited by Sooks1016

Banned because I wish Laurent wasn’t just his mom but a guy. I already didn’t like Miriel, but now I have two of her?? And he’s getting married to MORGAN... F.

Banned because the second session of this semester starts tomorrow and I'm really not prepared for it.

I really shouldn't even feel that way, but I feel mentally and emotionally exhausted. Like I said, I shouldn't feel that way, but I can't help it. Idk.

Oi, I should keep my mouth shut.

Edited by twilitfalchion

Banned because that's rough, buddy. Hope it's better than anticipated!

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Oi, I should keep my mouth shut.

Double banned for self-roast.

Banned because if I stuck to ALL fast pairings Lucina would get stuck with Laurent... although I am putting her daughter with him, so idk how much better that is for her xD