FE2: Dean or Sonia?

lonelyVoxel

Dean or Sonia?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Dean
    • Sonia
    • Ah dun give a dern! Jes choose one!

I'm trying to decide who to recruit. I'm leaning towards Dean, since Celica's party has a wealth of magic users already. However, Sonia's magic pool is bigger than some of the others you get, not to mention that Boey is kinda meh. Anyway, gimme your opinions.

I'd definitely go for Sonia, since she's practically a mage with Nino's levels but Pent's base stats, or a mage with Knoll's level but Saleh's bases (bases being relative to FE2's standards since they're low compared to other FEs). This is the only time in all of FE where you get a low level unit with killer bases and good growths (by FE2 standards) that's very usable from recruitment despite being gotten midgame (not counting FE10 due to its story system).

Admittingly, I never did a playthrough getting Deen. He seems alright (the archetypal good bases, bad growths character, even taking FE2's general low growth's into account), though I think Sonia is the overall better option. Plus, she was one of my best characters during the time she was in my party even without favouritism and feeding kills to her (not Palla or Catria good, but she was still in the top 5 best for Cellica's team).

Edited by Randoman

Dean's map is far less annoying, and Sonia is a cool enough unit to add anyway. Really, neither of them are going to be particularly useful, but fighting Sonia and her witches is something I usually can't be bothered with.

Yeah I usually go with Sonia anyway, since you have 3 mercs already on Celica's route and May and Booey aren't that great anyway.

Don't you only get two? Anyway, I've already had Boey die. XD I brought him back at Mila's shrine, cruel, aren't I?

From someone with a lot of experience with the game, Deen is actually significantly better than Sonia- while you have a lot of mercenaries none of them are close to how solid Deen is when he joins. Dread Fighters are really strong and Deen is close to it when he joins, and you can never have too many of them, anyway- they're just that good. Even more than that, Deen is one of the best Dread Fighters, whereas Sonia is not spectacular among mages.

Your magic users aren't going to see a whole lot of action after Sonia joins, decent stats or not, because their movement is so low on chapter 4's large and terrain-ridden maps. Deen is pretty much always great since demon fighters have great stats, good weapon selection, and most importantly a good move stat to navigate the maps.

Still, if you're doing a grinding heavy run picking Sonia isn't a bad idea. Atlas, Jesse, Saber, and Kamui will more than fill your needs, and Sonia is realistically your only magic user that will end up with decent endgame stats. But, if you're not grinding, you might as well just use Noma. He will nuke things with the magic ring about as well as a lower leveled Sonia will.

Edited by SRC

I've only played the game once, and Deen may be better, but Sonia is definitely a significant Mage. She joins with great bases and starts of with Excalibur, one of the best magic in the game with good power and low weight. Honestly, only Celica, Dyute, and Mage!Cliff can compare, because they blow the rest out of the competition.

I'm going to go with Dean on my EM run and see how it goes. If it goes go well, I'll probably use Sonia once I resume NM. Noma's magic pool looks like it's enough to balance out everyone else, but Sonia's Angel and Excalibur could help majorly.

Then again I could just go with Mage!Dean

Mercs that go to Mages have some pretty funky move pools

Edited by Forceman