First half of the Trailer speculation

Khan of Blades

Is the first half of the FE:if trailer alluding to SMT x FE? The masked dark souls-esque monster climbing the castle seemed really out of place in respect to most FE villains (or, gods help us, heroes). Anyway, it almost seemed like an anime Total War game (which is fine, the Persian immortals inspired cavalry looks cool as shit) rather than FE, so I was just wondering if there's been any information / speculation about it.

And if it's not remotely related to SMT x FE, what kind of characters are we seeing? The cavalry riders look nothing like the enemy troops shown in the game play part, and I must stress this, the monster actually looks creepy.

...? The cavs looks mostly like the ones we see in gameplay, there are two cav variants in the CG part, at the start there are the ones with the creepy face armor(which we don't see in gameplay). Near the end we see the ones with the card symbol armor(which we do, they both share the same helmet decoration).

I see nothing in the CG part that relates it to SMT... at all.

Edited by L95

Too bad we can't say that for the second half of the trailer.

...except "too bad" isn't the phrase to use, is it?

....Are you saying there's something relating to SMT in the gameplay portion? >.>

That was basically me expressing my probably vain hopes that the 2 opposing sides in the final seconds of the trailer represent the sides you can choose to ally yourself with in the game (the relation to SMT here being your choice of one side not necessarily right or wrong over another side not necessarily right or wrong), what with "if" apparently meaning "the choices you make have actual meaning".

Think about it, won't you? Story-wise, this would ideally make for a more compelling tale we've gotten from the series. Having no "right" ending amid opposing ideologies?: not only would Fire Emblem then become replayable mechanically (especially if choosing one side meant you had access to some characters and not others), but it would have plot replayability, too.

Of course, my hopes within trailer speculation, like many, tend to come crashing back to reality in disappointment of the missed opportunity upon final release, so who am I to say such a speculation is tangible, let alone probable? Nah, odds are, the "neutral" side is best, and the dark god/dess super ultra final boss (that metaphorically and GENERICALLY represents the evil in men's souls to fight one another) is only beatable in the true ending, then everyone lives happily ever after, yadda-yadda. Hard to have faith in Fire Emblem's writers after Awakening, you see.

Edited by Kysafen

I saw FE, and prior to the trailer SMT x FE was the only upcoming FE game known. Additionally, SMT x FE is supposed to be for the Wii U and the opening of the trailer looks a lot more like what the Wii U can do than the 3ds. It's certainly a valid mistake the first time watching it (though any misconception should be corrected by the rest of the trailer, first impressions have a habit of lingering).