Hard Mode No Pair Up

Epic10is321

I have no idea what you think a "canon" promotion is, and I'll assume that using a Second Seal to rewind a unit to level 1 promoted won't be used, either.

Also, what about Spotpass shopping/Renown stuff?

When I say "canon" I mean like in past Fire Emblem games when myrmidons promoted to sword masters, fighters to warriors, mages to sages, etc. Rather than promote myrmidons to assassins, fighters to heroes, mages to dark knights, etc. What are the suggestions for using spotpass and renown if I'm not going to play through the postgame stuff?

Spotpass - I'd use this for some nice early-game goodies, if your team needs them (Javelins/Hand Axes come to mind, as they're not available for general purchase until Paralogue 2/Chapter 7, IIRC). You can grab some specialty weapons, too (Rapier/Noble Rapier/Armorslayer immediately come to mind). If you're set on using Nowi, you can also get a Dragonstone+ for her (I think it was Tiki). You're also free to load up on Celica's Gale/Mire as needed.

Renown - Give the stat boosters to whoever you want, have fun with the weapons, and liquidate the Seed of Trust and Second Seal.

Sounds like you'll also be making heavy usage of rallies (you'll have Strength/Magic/Speed/Defense/Resistance/Spectrum at your disposal, assuming you use the right characters) and tonics. Good luck!

When I say "canon" I mean like in past Fire Emblem games when myrmidons promoted to sword masters, fighters to warriors, mages to sages, etc.

What will you do for characters like Sage Brady/Lissa and BK Virion who break those rules, but still have custom sprites and pallets (and a model in Lissa's case) for their "non-canon" promotions?

That's like my favorite way to play the game. If there's one reason I still really like awakening it's because of the 5 or so playthroughs I did like that one.

Sumia is a goddess playing like this, since she's basically the only unit that can double everything. Sully is also pretty great. Miriel and Cordelia are really good.

Also, in order to make it even more challenging, I'd advice on not using tonics.

Don't use spotpass and Renown. They make it way too easy.

The units I used on my last playthrough were:

Chrom, MU (obviously), Sumia, Sully, Miriel, Cordelia, Lissa, Maribelle, Tharja, Anna, Lucina, Say'ri, Libra and Tiki.

I used Frederick, Lon'qu, Stahl and Panne earlier in the game, but dropped them later. The only reason I dropped Panne was because, like you, i did no reclass. I imagine if you would allow reclassing for her, she'd end up really good.

Edited by Nobody

Sumia is a goddess playing like this, since she's basically the only unit that can double everything. Sully is also pretty great. Miriel and Cordelia are really good.

Seriously? I can see the pegs but Miriel and Sully are so mediocre I assume it would hold them back. Miriel can probably get up to snuff with Celica's Gale if you're into that but I don't see her being much help longterm.

Fast units are really good. Sumia, Lon'qu and Anna are all pretty solid and I would imagine that Cordelia is too. Gaius is balls though. Kellam was surprisingly helpful for me early but fell off hard midway through Valm.

Gangrel is probably the hardest boss in the game.

Okay Miriel being really good might be pushing it (though hitting RES and 2 range is really useful in this sort of playtrhough) but Sully was always my third best unit (after the MU and Sumia). What do you mean by mediocre? I always thought it was a consensus that Sully was one of the best units in the game. I mean, she's pretty speedy as well. Her speed growth is actually better than Anna's

Edited by Nobody

What will you do for characters like Sage Brady/Lissa and BK Virion who break those rules, but still have custom sprites and pallets (and a model in Lissa's case) for their "non-canon" promotions?

...I kinda considered Sage Lissa "canon." *sadfaic*

It just felt fitting she would have Emmeryn's (Which is her model) robes.

I kinda always had Maribelle take up the role of War Cleric anyways, so...

Sully's stats are all pretty average and no pair up bonuses means mediocrity. Maybe she can get going with enough levels stuffed into her but it seems pretty shaky.

Anna is fast enough to double most of Valm with little effort, has decent movement and staves. She's not a frontliner by any means but she's a lot better in no pair comparatively when having no supports is less of an issue.

Edited by SB.

I suppose I can just promote them to war monk/cleric only because the sage class is tied to the mage class and this way I prevent an overlap.

That's like my favorite way to play the game. If there's one reason I still really like awakening it's because of the 5 or so playthroughs I did like that one.

That's interesting because I played it with pair up on hard mode when I first got it and felt like it was too rushed since the maps ended in 7 turns or less on average. I wonder if playing without pair up would stretch the game out and make me feel like I got my money's worth.

By the way thanks for all the tips everyone.

I suppose I can just promote them to war monk/cleric only because the sage class is tied to the mage class and this way I prevent an overlap.

That's interesting because I played it with pair up on hard mode when I first got it and felt like it was too rushed since the maps ended in 7 turns or less on average. I wonder if playing without pair up would stretch the game out and make me feel like I got my money's worth.

By the way thanks for all the tips everyone.

You'd still be putting other games' "canon" over Awakening's. But if avoiding overlaps is important, when how do you treat promoted classes that you suddenly have no way of reaching (BK, Griffon, DF etc)?

The main campaign isn't very long. Most of the game's length comes from replay value; there's a lot to keep coming back for on subsequent playthroughs (also having all the DLC roughly triples a full file's time).