[New Poll Q]Quarterly Hack Awards AND Monthly Hacker's Digest?!

ghast

Would you want to have monthly hack awards?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to have monthly hack awards?

• Yes!!
    • No!!
  2. 2. Monthly Hacker's Digest. Interest in viewing?

• Sounds Great! I'd watch!
    • Meh...

So I was browsing pokecommunity's hacking section and my fudge they have activity. I was comparing their features to SF's and what really struck out to me was that they gave monthly/yearly hack awards.

I was thinking maybe we could do something similar? Something that would motivate hacks to go the extra mile to win pump out content?

There's a lot of hacking concepts that just float around here and it kind of sucks that they stay here. The last mods that got moved were like Bloodlines, IoA and fe7cm over the course of like a year.

The criteria could literally just be concept hacks that look the most interesting/ have the most progress or something.

The winner over at pokecomm gets their hack pinned for a month, well since i'm not a mod.. I was thinking of potential awards for 1st placers? maybe like an interview with the mod creator and an LP promoting their hack?

would love to hear feedback from you guys, thanks!

Edited by GhastStation

Hmm...Interesting.

I am making FEXP game and after two weeks I plan to make Random trial map with smal story.

There we will see my engines Improvements.

Events I learned to make. Graphic.(part of it I don't want to spoil the game much)

Well i am in. I will have to recode few things. And I plan to release this Video after about two weeks...

Yeah I will give it a shot.

SF should have a separate subforum for non-ROMhack fan games like XNA projects.

I like the idea, but wouldn't it just end up being the same projects winning all the time? new projects don't surface that much, especially ones that can outshine long ongoing projects like FE7x

If there were more of them I'd agree, but as-is the forum would be almost completely empty. Same goes for prizes: they should be in a different category if there are enough, but that's not so at the moment.

I do feel like this would be a cool idea but preventing the same long-term projects from steamrolling everything would have to be a concern.

I like the idea, but wouldn't it just end up being the same projects winning all the time? new projects don't surface that much, especially ones that can outshine long ongoing projects like FE7x

No they should stay here. There's like 0 non-romhack fangames. There is like like no point in having a forum for at most like 5 projects ever.

That's a good point. Pokecomm has a selection of 3 hacks to pick per month. Idk how the future months would go but i guess maybe the first two should be a good experiment?

If there were more of them I'd agree, but as-is the forum would be almost completely empty. Same goes for prizes: they should be in a different category if there are enough, but that's not so at the moment.

I do feel like this would be a cool idea but preventing the same long-term projects from steamrolling everything would have to be a concern.

I'll do some more lookin' around. thanks!

How about an optional theme to give people direction? If only the scene was more active, I would suggest giving short-term and long-term projects their own categories, but that isn't the case.

@FEXP/XNA and modding being grouped into the same category: the obvious solution seems like it would be just to re-name the "ROM Hacking" forum to something more neutral, like "Custom FE" or "FE Fangames" even. But old traditions die hard.

Romhacking and FEXP game making is almost the same thing. The only exception is that FEXP have a little bit different system.

But Romhackers and FEXP coders (of Curse FEXNA too) are making FE game right?

So Shin PM me when this contest will opened so I can start to gather Screenshots and make Video of my Trial map so I can show my engines improvements,

It's a nice sentiment but simply won't work with the FE community. The Pokemon community is fine because their hacks are very simple. It's really, really not hard to make a game like pokemon or edit a game like pokemon. All it really takes is a bunch of art assets, level scaling, and maps. Dialogue is also easy to write. Seriously, even the best writing in a pokemon game isn't remotely top of the line or comparable to the character and plot dynamics in a fire emblem game. It takes way more time and energy to make a FE fangame than a pokemon fangame, simply put. Because of this, the 'monthly' awards would be pointless. We might be lucky to get one decent fangame a month, if that, which is something new that we haven't seen before. Otherwise it'll just be "Elibian Nights wins this month, and next, and next, and then bloodlines, then elibian nights again" etc etc.

The pokemon community has hundreds of 'good' quality fangames. We have maybe a couple dozen. Maybe when FEXNA comes out, it'll lower the entry bar and make things easier so something like this is feasible, but it's pointless speculating for now as we'll still have the issue of game complexity to tackle.

Annual, maybe, but in a community this tight-knit, it just amounts to a big circle-jerk. SF may have hundreds of daily visitors, but the number of actual hackers in the entire fandom currently is 100 or less, and the number of highly skilled are maybe 2 dozen at best.

Or we could just disallow winners from wining again like pokecomunity does. Plus, i think we get enough new hacks for yearly awards.