fire emblem villians discussion

since that other thread was getting derailed, i thought to make this one.

we may continue where we left off or start a new convo, i might as well get the ball rolling.

either Lyon or Arvis are my favorite villians, i'm not a big fan of Doma (outside of his sick design) or any of the awakening villians, Boldo's a lame dude too.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since that other thread was getting derailed, i thought to make this one.

we may continue where we left off or start a new convo, i might as well get the ball rolling.

either Lyon or Arvis are my favorite villians, i'm not a big fan of Doma (outside of his sick design) or any of the awakening villians, Boldo's a lame dude too.

Alvis is my favorite villain Lyon isnt one of them (if he had more character or defining traits) Negrinch(FE7CM not FE7 negral) for 2nd best

Zelgius is also a good villain(apart from lame boss fight)

Ashnard is stuck with his morals so he is one of the good villains

Veld is the worst one cuz ew veld

Edited by TTPK_Tal

Walhart had potential to be a good contrast to Chrom and Emmeryn. But sadly, he gave up on his ideals upon recruitment. Ashnards in my opinion is the best FE villain. Simply because he's entertaining to watch and has somewhat justified reasons.

Walhart had potential to be a good contrast to Chrom and Emmeryn. But sadly, he gave up on his ideals upon recruitment. Ashnards in my opinion is the best FE villain. Simply because he's entertaining to watch and has somewhat justified reasons.

what justified reasons the 2 you just mentioned are very bland I WANT POWER AND CHAOS AND WAR POWER IS MOST IMPORTANT guys

Edited by TTPK_Tal

what justified reasons the 2 you just mentioned are very bland I WANT POWER AND CHAOS AND WAR POWER IS MOST IMPORTANT guys

Well Walhart wanted everyone to be equal without the gods, Ashnard wanted everything to be like nature. But they're so entertaining to watch and that's it ok if their reasons isn't the best.

Well Walhart wanted everyone to be equal without the gods, Ashnard wanted everything to be like nature. But they're so entertaining to watch and that's it ok if their reasons isn't the best.

It is revealed that Ashnard believes that the current society, based on Begnion's hierarchy, is wrong. Ashnard believes that one's lot in life should be solely based on their power; he tells Reyson that class and species will not matter in his world, that the strong will ultimately rule the weak. This likely explains Daein's system, where those who display great levels of might, particularly in combat, have the ability to gain much power within Daein society, regardless of class or social standing

we have a laguz racist that is a darwinist who is hungry for power

Though Walhart is portrayed as a major antagonist in the game, Validar later reveals that Walhart was trying to prevent Grima's resurrection, explainingPlegia's willingness to provide support for the invasion of Valm with ships and materials but not any soldiers. In his Paralogue, Walhart is revealed to have survived the battle between him and Chrom and seeks to grow even stronger.

POWER TO DEFEAT GODS POWER POWER POWERRR

my complaint isnt the reasons its how they are portrayed and how bland ashnard and walhart are as characters

his female avatar support is just said it just shows how he is a conquerer and how he isnt at the same time

wolfhart is as vague and bland as the avatar is

Edited by TTPK_Tal

Arvis. Just... Arvis.

I could write a god damn thesis paper on why Arvis is one of the best villains in the series.

Anyway, what hurts me so much about Gangrel and Walhart is that they were perfect contrasts to Chrom. They were both already rulers whereas Chrom was suddenly thrust into the position. Rather than carry on Emm's dumb ideals and shove it in their faces, Chrom himself could have developed as a ruler, noticing that Emm's way was admirable yet wrong. He could have created his own ruling philosophies, shaped by his encounters with Gangrel and Walhart. This in turn would have made Chrom one of the best protagonists by far.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

Zephiel doesn't get enough love. He's interesting and complex enough in FE6; add in what we see of him as a boy in FE7 and you get a sympathetic antagonist with tremendous depth and characterization.

6 + 7 Zephiel is almost as good a villain as Lyon. Almost.

oh and re: Ashnard, he's great. He's a social Darwinist who values freedom and strength to their extremes. Sure, he wants power and chaos; what's unique about him, and what makes him so intriguing, is that he's less concerned with his own power and more concerned with his vision of the world becoming reality. He's consistent with his ideals too, didn't seem to mind getting defeated by a stronger warrior.

Edited by feplus

Arvis. Just... Arvis.

I could write a god damn thesis paper on why Arvis is one of the best villains in the series.

Anyway, what hurts me so much about Gangrel and Walhart is that they were perfect contrasts to Chrom. They were both already rulers whereas Chrom was suddenly thrust into the position. Rather than carry on Emm's dumb ideals and shove it in their faces, Chrom himself could have developed as a ruler, noticing that Emm's way was admirable yet wrong. He could have created his own ruling philosophies, shaped by his encounters with Gangrel and Walhart. This in turn would have made Chrom one of the best protagonists by far.

Chrom is a decendent of marth prince of blandness he needs to carry on the tradition

Chrom is a decendent of marth prince of blandness he needs to carry on the tradition

Lucina carried that same torch too. It seems everyone except Alm who wield Falchion has a boring personality.

Fire Emblem Awakening should be renamed: Fire Emblem Miss potential.

Edited by Ace Gamer

Walhart was,right. Simple as that. I want a FE where you play as someone like him, and subjugate the world. The whole Chrom vs Walhart thing would be made much more interesting if Chrom was faced with a situation where some people don't want to follow him. As it is, the "sword or the knee" speech sounds pretty self righteous when Chrom has had everyone follow him without question.

Gharnef and his 5 Magic.

Alvis. He starts with good intentions but has his Machiavellian ways backfire on him. Kinda makes you feel sorry for the poor dastard. And of course Zephiel is a great villain as well.

Edited by Sharpshooter23

Black Knight is my favorite antagonist, though Ashnard is great too. The BK DID end up turning into more of an anti-hero though, so I guess Ashnard is the only one that really counts for this thread. :P

Naesala was one of my favorite villains in FE9, but once they revealed he was actually a blackmailed hero, I found him lame.

Same with Black Knight. They tried to make Zelgius sympathetic, especially when Ike is all "you were my last teacher," but I don't really buy any of it. He was better as an enigmatic nightmare.

So, basically that leaves Ashnard for me. Emperor Hardin is up there too. Guy is terrifying in FE12.

Edited by Radiant head

Yeah I didn't really like how Ike was all respectful of the Black Knight when he meets him in the tower and they supposedly had this master/student thing...he still killed Ike's father, Zelgius or no. The change also doesn't appear to be very gradual.

FE has a variety of villains I like, sometimes more sympathetic (Zephiel) sometimes totally unsympathetic (Sonia). Either/both kind can work IMO.

Travant, man

He just wanted his country to thrive

I love him so much

Glory to Thracia

I forgot to mention Travant too, but I'm still bitter about that desert skirmish.

Holy shit, I forgot all about Trabant. What an amazing villain he was. Jugdral is filled to the brim with good antagonists.

Areone is my favorite boss in the whole series so I guess he counts too.

It seems FE4 and 5 have nicely written villians. I should try them one day. But it seems too overwhelmingly for a first timer.

Do it, darn you. Jugdral storytelling is on a completely different level. They're not so bad to play with some foresight.

Trabant is my favorite villain by far. No matter how evil his actions and how nationalistic his intentions, there's something perversely noble in how much he is willing to do to help his people. I especially love how he sacrifices himself in the end, probably in the hope that Arion will surrender to the liberation army (this isn't explicitly stated in game, but I think it's a reasonable interpretation.)

The problem is that it's kind of questionable whether people like Zelgius or Travant should actually be considered villains in the first place. Though that may actually apply to Alvis as well I guess.

The problem is that it's kind of questionable whether people like Zelgius or Travant should actually be considered villains in the first place. Though that may actually apply to Alvis as well I guess.

Antagonist may be a more appropriate term.

I can't see how Zelgius isn't a villain. He kills Gawain for shallow reasoning, and basically assists Ashnard to commit mass murder. The only reason he was remotely likable was that we had no idea he was the Black Knight.

Edited by Radiant head