Relationship Poll! Four Questions :)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fire Emblem:If have in-game Relationships?(End-game is another thing.)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should there be Homosexual Relationships?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want ANY relationships,at all,not even straight ones.
  3. 3. If yes,should there be a choice for the player,to set up characters "sexual preference",should it be random,or predestined by the game developers?

• Setting it up!
    • Random~
    • The choice lies with the game maker,not me!
    • I answered no.
  4. 4. End-Game,should you be able to have a bit of more choice in the character endings,romantically,I mean.

• Yes
    • No

No one here is being homophobic, though?

Seriously, I'm sick of people complaining to me about my preference for heterosexual pairings and being called a homophobe for it. You can't force me to say yes to homo pairings, so fucking deal with it.

And what I meant by a forced homo marriage is this being the only pairing option for two characters, even if I want to ship them with the opposite gender. Heck, I don't even like that Ike only has a different ending with guys and no girls.

If someone else wants to do homo endings, that's fine, I don't give a damn. I just would like a bunch of hetero options too, that is all.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, I'm sick of people complaining to me about my preference for heterosexual pairings and being called a homophobe for it. You can't force me to say yes to homo pairings, so fucking deal with it.

And what I meant by a forced homo marriage is this being the only pairing option for two characters, even if I want to ship them with the opposite gender. Heck, I don't even like that Ike only has a different ending with guys and no girls.

If someone else wants to do homo endings, that's fine, I don't give a damn. I just would like a bunch of hetero options too, that is all.

I hear you there.

Also wanted to point out again, that Fire Emblem isn't supposed to be a dating simulator and be gone now.

Edited by FierceRagnar

Except you kind of are by saying you don't want anyone who is only interested in the same gender.

Except I never said that at all. I said MULTIPLE times that I'm fine with Heather. I'm fine with Legault. NO WHERE am I saying bullshit like homos need to wiped from the face of the planet.

I respectfully refuse to tolerate homophobia thanks, just like I feel little need to be respectful to someone who goes "well I would prefer that there only be white people in my games" or "I would really prefer if the only important characters in my games are men" or other bullshit like that.

I think that all pairings should be optional unless there's some story reason that someone must be paired (like how Chrom had to be married because Lucina is a thing).

No need to get passive-aggressive. I'm just trying to keep the peace. (And failing) But please please please, everyone, don't let SF turn into "argue about gay marriage in FE, over and over again, FOREVER." The Gamefaqs FE: IF message boards are there for that.

We pretty much all agree on one thing: homosexual pairings should exist if pairings return.

Other than that, perhaps everyone should agree to disagree instead of arguing relentlessly and contributing nothing to the forum.

If you ask me, I think this excerpt of your statement is part of the problem:

And what I meant by a forced homo marriage is this being the only pairing option for two characters, even if I want to ship them with the opposite gender.

In real life, there are some people who are straight. In real life, there are some people who are bi. In real life, there are some people who are gay or lesbian.

It doesn't matter how badly you want to ship them with the opposite gender. There will be certain characters, like certain people, whose sexual orientations just aren't what you want them to be, like a boy you may have been crushing on but you find out he's gay later on. You may be disappointed, but no matter how much you may want him to be with you if he's not attracted to girls it is not happening.

Now, you might say "so what, this is fiction and I want to ship straight pairings". But look at it on the flip side. Would you be upset if a character who was straight and showed no evidence of being gay or bi had some romantic supports with someone of the same gender "just because"? Because this is basically equivalent to what you're saying, and I think this is the problem you have. You see characters as being there just for your shipping pleasure, and if you can't ship them in the way you want to (heterosexually) then you feel it shouldn't be done. You want characters who would hypothetically be gay to have a "straight" pairing, even though they would realistically not be attracted to those people and you wouldn't want "straight" characters to have a gay option.

As for romance and shit in FE14, I don't care just as long as they do it better than Awakening.

Come on, if these were real people with real thoughts and feelings, I would understand, but no matter how realistic the characters are, nothing will change that.

Shipping is just shipping. It's your own business. Straight characters have been shipped as gay for years. It's the very legacy of fan fiction.

Yeah, exactly. Nothing is stopping anyone from shipping, say, Sain and Kent together despite that they're both attracted to women. If I want to ship someone who someone else thinks is gay with someone of the opposite gender, I will.

Come on, if these were real people with real thoughts and feelings, I would understand, but no matter how realistic the characters are, nothing will change that.

Shipping is just shipping. It's your own business. Straight characters have been shipped as gay for years. It's the very legacy of fan fiction.

What people write in their fan-fiction is their own business. We're discussing how relationships should be handled IN GAME. As in official. As in canon relationships. The reason everyone is jumping on Anacybele is that she is suggesting that all characters (or perhaps just heterosexual ones) should be shippable, disregarding whatever sexuality they actually have. That she prefaced a lot of her posts with "No homophobia but..." didn't help matters.

Contrary to your sentiment that consistency doesn't matter for fictional characters, quite a few people do care about having believable characters. The more I read this thread, the more I think Awakening was a serious misstep for enabling such...disagreeable individuals.

This is a strategy RPG, if anyone forgot.

Edited by NekoKnight

What people write in their fan-fiction is their own business. We're discussing how relationships should be handled IN GAME. As in official. As in canon relationships. The reason everyone is jumping on Anacybele is that she is suggesting that all characters (or perhaps just heterosexual ones) should be shippable, disregarding whatever sexuality they actually have. That she prefaced a lot of her posts with "No homophobia but..." didn't help matters.

Contrary to your sentiment that consistency doesn't matter for fictional characters, quite a few people do care about having believable characters. The more I read this thread, the more I think Awakening was a serious misstep for enabling such...disagreeable individuals.

This is a strategy RPG, if anyone forgot.

Consistency matters in terms of personality, but someone's sexuality shouldn't be the center focus of a personality.

I wouldn't ship a gay character in a straight pairing, though. Since my personal preference in shipping is hetero, I just wouldn't ship them at all. :/

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

then don't ship them

nobody is forcing you to

plenty of people disregard canon for their ships regardless of orientation anyway and it doesn't matter one bit because canon is still canon and what they ship is still what they ship, you ship what you want, canon is still canon and has nothing to do with shipping unless you only ship canon or bust in which case you still don't have to ship anything, that's your choice, shipping is a fandom thing

If one pair doesn't cater to you big fucking deal just go ship something else

Since when has canon stopped shippers anyway; it's not like they're completely separate things or something

after all, both parties of one of my favorite pairs are both dead

Edited by Thor Odinson

Consistency matters in terms of personality, but someone's sexuality shouldn't be the center focus of a personality.

I wouldn't ship a gay character in a straight pairing, though. Since my personal preference in shipping is hetero, I just wouldn't ship them at all. :/

Sexuality shouldn't be the center focus of characterization, but it is a part of it, which is why I call for consistency. If a guy says "I'm straight" and the next day he's seen making about with another dude, people are going to raise eyebrows. It's inconsistent.

The bolded is the important part that some people need to understand. If Legault flirting with Heath or Mathew makes you uncomfortable, don't pair them up. I generally don't ship gay characters either but I'm not going to insist the game lets me romantically pair Heather with Sothe.

Let's try to get this thread back on the rails. How would people like it if the person Kamui/Avatar started a relationship effected the plot? Like, if you chose to romance a character from a certain faction, you'd take a certain route to ally with them. I'm thinking political marriages. It could be for other characters too.

Okay? That's what I just said, but okay. :p

However, I grow weary of reiterating and trying really hard to be inoffensive, haha.

On a lighthearted note, I shall leave this thread for now, but with my authority that I TOTALLY have, guys, I declare whomever posts in all caps the angriest and swears the most the victor!

Sorry for getting everything off track.

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

Let's try to get this thread back on the rails. How would people like it if the person Kamui/Avatar started a relationship effected the plot? Like, if you chose to romance a character from a certain faction, you'd take a certain route to ally with them. I'm thinking political marriages. It could be for other characters too.

That would actually be pretty interesting and relevant since Kamui is shown to be a royal.

I wouldn't mind them implementing it at least and see if it works out in practice.

Honestly, I don't think people have a proper definition for homophobia. Doesn't anyone remember what a phobia actually is? It's an irrational fear that a person goes to great lengths to avoid coming face to face with. For example, I have culrophobia, which is the irrational fear of clowns. I avoid them at all costs. I also suffer from pregnancy phobia, though I forget the actual term for that one. I can't even stand to look at a pregnant woman because the whole idea of getting pregnant frightens me to no end. Not because of the woman herself, because of pregnancy.

Homophobia should really be defined as someone who is very afraid of gay/lesbian people and goes to great lengths to avoid them. Not someone that hates or scorns them and think what they're doing is wrong. Imo, that's just plain being an ass. If homophobia was a hatred of gays and lesbians, then by that logic, a hatred of Xbox games is Xboxphobia. Which obviously makes no sense. But me, I'm not afraid of gays or lesbians. I've made friends with them. They're people just like us who have feelings just as we do.

But I do now realize that what I said about wanting hetero pairings for everyone, even characters that might be/are gay/lesbian, doesn't make sense. I don't know why I said that now. But I still would like plenty of hetero characters and hetero options available regardless.

Ugh who would've thought Awakening would open so many cans of worms.

I kind of like this idea, it would make more characters relevant in the plot for longer than their recruitment chapter. As long as they could do it without making one pair/route the obvious best choice gameplay-wise, it would add replay value too.

Guys,please,chill. I think that yes,you should be able to ship people,but in game relationships should be realistic. Could you imagine Micaiah and Ike? Heck no,not realistically,not me at least,but they may be cute in fanfic,I dunno. That's what I'm saying,that the characters should be able to romance most of the people they have a social compatibility with,of their preferred gender,if they have one,and be able to friendzone others. So yes,denying romance should be an option. So you could technically be straight/gay without asking the player. However,it shouldn't turn up out of the blue,uninvited. Now: Can we chill? There's no reason to get angry about this.

//Btw,I'm pan/bi,which I don't think there are a lot of other members that are,but,being able to romance someone that you think would your MU,even if they were of the same gender would be cool.

If you don't realize that what you're saying is "I do not want gay people in FE" then I don't know how to help you. Rephrasing your same thought doesn't change its content.

Yeah, exactly. Nothing is stopping anyone from shipping, say, Sain and Kent together despite that they're both attracted to women. If I want to ship someone who someone else thinks is gay with someone of the opposite gender, I will.

The difference being you want your shipping codified into the game.

Honestly, I don't think people have a proper definition for homophobia.

You know what it means. The rest of your post is an illogical argument about how a word has been popularly used for >25 years at least.

Edited by ckc22

Secret answer E: Ignore supports altogether and play it as a strategy game, not a Sims title.

I still voted for homosexuality in the name of my gay friends and for the sake of diversity. I still support, but I mainly did it for kids in awakening, and only if it is worth the effort for a small boost in stats in the GBA titles. I only did supports for like, four of the characters in Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones. Combined.

Secret answer E: Ignore supports altogether and play it as a strategy game, not a Sims title.

I still voted for homosexuality in the name of my gay friends and for the sake of diversity. I still support, but I mainly did it for kids in awakening, and only if it is worth the effort for a small boost in stats in the GBA titles. I only did supports for like, four of the characters in Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones. Combined.

The GBA support system was pretty terrible to be fair, so I hope that method of obtaining supports doesn't reappear.

If you don't realize that what you're saying is "I do not want gay people in FE" then I don't know how to help you. Rephrasing your same thought doesn't change its content.

Doesn't mean I'm homophobic. And yeah, I may not WANT gay people in FE, but that doesn't mean I would totally hate it if this happened. Like I've said a million fucking times, I don't care that Heather or Legault exist and are lesbian/bi.

Doesn't mean I'm homophobic. And yeah, I may not WANT gay people in FE, but that doesn't mean I would totally hate it if this happened. Like I've said a million fucking times, I don't care that Heather or Legault exist and are lesbian/bi.

Sigh...

I don't know if this is worth it anymore, but I'm gonna try and throw this out there anyway. It would go a long way if you instead said it more like this: "I myself don't care for gay people in FE, but I wouldn't mind so much if some were included."

Do you see the difference here? It gets essentially the same point across while being a much more tolerant way of putting it - a skill you tend to lack.

Lastly, homophobia encompasses both fear and dislike/non-acceptance. Some of your remarks in this topic could definitely be seen as homophobic.

Actually, I honestly don't see a difference. But I appreciate your polite effort to try to help.

My comments were not in any way intended to be homophobic, but if anyone saw it that way, I guess I have to apologize. I just really hate being called homophobic because of some bad experiences in the past with my shipping preferences. I've simply stated "I don't like yaoi" and then got called homophobic, for example.