Memes are terrible

Well, I've been as guilty of this as others have, I'm sure, but may I get something off my chest right now?

I think that the use of memes, repeated axioms of incoherent English originating from the web, image macros, and other such repeated senseless content is terrible. I dare say, why can we not speak with normal English on the web anymore? To get some sort of approval from others who understood such references?

I used to be a big time proponent of memes, but in hindsight, they were senseless, unfunny, and stupid. I was a stupid kid. We all probably were dumb kids on the internet at one point.

I propose we put a stop to memes, and start supporting those who seek to speak in normal English.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is well worded and I feel I agree with you. Yes, I think I used to enjoy them? They get old, though.

You're talking about screencaps of stuff with the big blocky white text on it, right? In that case, yes, I agree.

I expected this, but seriously, has this phrase been used commonly for how long, now, a decade? It's informal English, man. What's the point of repeating this phrase so often?

You seem to be caring too much.

This is a common and critical problem on the internet.

You seem to be caring too much.

This is a common and critical problem on the internet.

Perhaps I could do a better job of conveying this, but you presume too much. Nonetheless, you raise a fair point, that it is perhaps trivial. I personally believe that the habits this style of speaking forms can get grating at times when it spills over into real life, however. Maybe I'm being a curmudgeon like that, however.

Edited by SirBrickingtonCrushworthy

Perhaps I could do a better job of conveying this, but you presume too much. Nonetheless, you raise a fair point, that it is perhaps trivial. I personally believe that the habits this style of speaking forms can get grating at times when it spills over into real life, however. Maybe I'm being a curmudgeon like that, however.

when you stop caring what other people do you'll be a lot better off

I mean what else were you expecting aside from the evil memes after posting this, no I don't find them particularly funny either

Edited by Tryhard

Profusely dank meme, brother.

That's another thing I've noticed, the use of memes that seemed to originate on chans and interchanging use everywhere else seems to grow the longer they are around. I've been a long time user of 4chan, now 8chan, and for one, the average user seems less mature now (which is probably a perspective shift more than anything else), and two, the memes over there often times are things that I see outside of 8chan, now. Am I just getting old?

Edited by SirBrickingtonCrushworthy

I agree we should all talk like actual people instead of through memes, perhaps you could start by not using so many commas, overly flowery language and unironic use of "I dare say"?

Well, I think they're funny. Then again, I'm probably just an immature kid. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though, so I won't be joining your "crusade" in putting a stop to memes. I think if they're not used correctly or in the appropriate moment, then yes I do think they're annoying. But overall, I enjoy them.

I agree we should all talk like actual people instead of through memes, perhaps you could start by not using so many commas, overly flowery language and unironic use of "I dare say"?

fite me irl

Imitation and plagiarism as a substitute for actual communication is terrible. Most people don't use memes to convey serious feelings though.

1990s Spider-Man meme is the exception.

4KD7kx1m.png

378.jpg

Memes can be ok, pretty funny, or garbage, depending on the meme, the context, and the audience (which I guess is part of the context but I feel its worth emphasising). And probably some other things. Are there any other centrist platitudes I should mention, or is that good enough?

I still love all your base. We have been seeing each other on and off since something like 2000 or 2001. We were introduced to each other during a birthday party of a mutual friend: most of us had never seen it before but I think that there was something special between the two of us. Its like an old flame for me which never really dies. We would probably be sick of each other if we were living together, but we both know this and so we are like far flung old lovers whose lives are fated to briefly but passionately intertwine. I never read the book, but I think it is sorta like the time traveler's wife or benjamin button, except that all your base is permanently frozen in the past, while I move through time at a regular pace.

1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg

39958939.jpg

...yeah, I remember that All Your Base lady too... ;)

Seriously though... Anyone really use memes outside of this thread/far from the forest much at all anyways? :\

...oh and...

Imitation and plagiarism as a substitute for actual communication is terrible. Most people don't use memes to convey serious feelings though.1990s Spider-Man meme is the exception.

bird-bro1.jpg

;p

Edited by TheErrantShepherd