About to dip into PoR for the 1st time

Don't bother training up Volke or Sothe. The exp you waste training them is far more valuable than the bexp from ch 15. They don't need to be trained to get the loot.

The boots is well guarded by cat & raven laguz. Can a untrained Volke, even with Laguzguard, tank that many laguz hits? And boots isn't something armories/shops sell.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read what I said. You can simply lure enemies around with either unequipped chumps or use someone to weaken the ravens so they fly off to heal and leave Volke alone.

Once again, Volke and Sothe can be base level. The only trained people you need to make it easier are Jill and Marcia, who you should be training anyway since they're the best characters in the game. Lethe should be deployed because turn 1 transform.

I only deployed Jill, Marcia, Lethe, Mordy, Volke, and Sothe. Only thing I had Volke do was get the lolfrag so I could've done without it.

This should give you some ideas.

http://youtu.be/skrgoDEflRg

Edit: This is not my video. As for your prepromote question, there's Stefan in C15 and Tanith in C18 who both rule. Haar and Geoffrey come a little later and have serviceable combat if someone is falling behind.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

The boots is well guarded by cat & raven laguz. Can a untrained Volke, even with Laguzguard, tank that many laguz hits? And boots isn't something armories/shops sell.

I just did this recently, and when I had Marcia drop off Volke near the Boots, all of the laguz attacked Marcia because of Volke's Shade skill. None of the laguz bothered Volke. In fact, the problem that I faced was Marcia would get boxed in and unable to move if I didn't plan my moves right.

Not all of the treasure is worth the effort to get in the desert. The Boots and Stefan definitely, and the White Gem more than likely because it's right next to where Stefan is, and probably the Physic staff on the way to the Boots, but other than that, the loot isn't that great. I think I got the Coin and the Statue Frag just because I had time for Sothe to run around and get them without being in danger.

f34827399335246.jpg

-the speech bubble is blocking, but there's a cat above Mordy. Speaking of him, he's carrying Volke & has 17hp

-Tit has gimped Mov but I brought her to tank, she's carrying Sothe & has 3hp. (Laguz are the manaketes of PoR, with "timed dragonstones", i.e. they hit hard & accurate)

-Marcia has laguz lance & guard, but level 18 & full 30hp 15Str 19Skill 20Speed 12 Def.

-2 beasts have already died anyways suiciding on Mordy & Stefan.

EDIT: Never mind, finally did it, in 9-10 turns; waiting for the beasts to untransform back. Much more laguz suicided themselves on Marcia & Neph though. Is the BEXP really possible? I guess maybe on Easy if you lowturn with promoted Marcia+trained Soren & ignore all treasures including the Boots & Psychic

Edited by omglmaowtf

EDIT: Never mind, finally did it, in 9-10 turns; waiting for the beasts to untransform back. Much more laguz suicided themselves on Marcia & Neph though. Is the BEXP really possible? I guess maybe on Easy if you lowturn with promoted Marcia+trained Soren & ignore all treasures including the Boots & Psychic

Just do some searching...it's definitely possible on HM without skipping anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg2W5x3EV_M

I'll say it again: The bexp you get from saving the laguz around the treasure is far less valuable than any exp you would have to put into Volke, but I'm glad you managed to pull it off with minimal laguz casualties.

I just did it with base level Volke and Sothe, and it wasn't on Easy. Like I had mentioned previously, the only challenge I faced was making the correct moves so Marcia didn't get surrounded. I got the Boots, Stefan, Physic staff, White Gem, Coin and Statue Frag. Promoted Marcia and Jill make it relatively easy if you plan ahead. Of course, Marcia and Jill make most of the game easy because they are two of the best units in the game.

Whoa, hard mode isn't called that for nothing. This isn't your "Seth-can-solo-FE8" 'hard mode', definitely not something to go into blind.

I'm now at C16 & reduced to 2 options:

-sacrifice the psychic staff to the enemy thief

-blitz all mounties/fliers to the right, kill Devdan in the way & hopefully by they time the get to the room the thief steals only the Bolting.

:(

Edited by omglmaowtf

Whoa, hard mode isn't called that for nothing. This isn't your "Seth-can-solo-FE8" 'hard mode', definitely not something to go into blind.

-blitz all mounties/fliers to the right, kill Devdan in the way & hopefully by they time the get to the room the thief steals only the Bolting.

didnt you BEXP dump marcia/jill like we told you

Uhh, you do realize you can steal staves, right...?

You can recruit Devdan with any "kid" character (Soren, Mist and I think Tormod).

Marcia and Jill are like...the best units in the game. Before they join, the only units I can think of that are worth any BEXP are maybe Kieran if you want to bring him equal to Oscar and Mist if you want a mounted healer.

You can recruit Devdan with any "kid" character (Soren, Mist and I think Tormod).

Marcia and Jill are like...the best units in the game. Before they join, the only units I can think of that are worth any BEXP are maybe Kieran if you want to bring him equal to Oscar and Mist if you want a mounted healer.

Soren, Sothe, Rolf, Mist, and Tormod all can recruit Devdan.

Boyd and Tormod.

Boyd is a foot solider. No go in Path of Mounts.

Tormod at least has Celerity, but mages aren't that great in this game. Also, by the time he joins, you're already pumping BEXP into Marcia, Kieran, Jill, Astrid and Makalov, who are all better than Tormod (and Boyd too).

So yes, if you want to play inefficiently, Boyd and Tormod are great uses of BEXP for a unit who will always lag behind the action and a staffbot who joins late and way under-leveled.

In regards to Devdan, I forgot about Sothe (busy getting chests if you deploy him) and Rolf (worth forgetting). Mist might be the easiest to recruit him with if she's promoted because she can stop outside his range then move in and recruit next turn. Though if I recall, doesn't Devdan refuse to attack any "children" characters?

You get ~1500 (1460) BEXP after Tormod joins. That's enough for him to get ahead.

Boyd pulls his weight literally as soon as the base opens up waaaay back in like C8. He's not considered the best foot for nothing. X being good does not make Y bad. Just because mounts are better recipients, it doesn't make Tormod and Boyd bad recipients. Likewise, not playing at maximum efficiency doesn't make a less efficient option bad. There's a difference between Boyd and like, Nephenee. Boyd's a damn good unit and Celerity gives Tormod movement on par with the mounts. Oh, and mages can be good in this game. See Chiki's ltc run with Soren.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

A mounted unit that can strike resistance is worth BEXP IMO. Plus, Astrid levels so fast she doesn't need it, Marcia is near promotion. The others would likely need it, but Tormod is like a Mage knight without the weakness. Just because enemies are easy doesn't mean it takes no effort to kill max defense Knights and 20+ def generals.

Tormod is for those who didn't train Soren or Ilyana (Calill comes really late even for a prepromote)

Besides, is Makalov really worth using? For the lateness of his availability, he really comes with low level/bases

And Boyd: I dunno, once I got Kieran, even if he was a footie, I find he fights better than Boyd (never used the useless Gamble skill)

By the way, for C17-1 can you choose your starting team, or does the game forces on you a default one even if there be untrained scrubs?

Makalov is on a mount. That makes him top tier with all the other mounted units other than Haar, who joins very late and has meh bases (that SPD...), but does support with Jill and Makalov so there's that. Oscar, Astrid and Makalov can all choose Axes for instant access to Steel and Hand Axes. Kieran can choose Bows if you really want a Boyd on a mount.

Makalov starts at level 10, a chapter before Tormod joins, who is level 7. How does Makalov require a lot of investment but Tormod doesn't? Seriously.

Calil is bad because she has lolknives instead of staves as a Sage, which is just terrible. She would be a decent fill-in mage for those who didn't train a mage if it wasn't for the knives.

Tormod is not on a mount, all hyperbole aside, and squishy compared to the actual mounts. I guess I could see some use for him after much investment, but why? Most maps your army is filled up to the max with Mount Smash plus IKE.

Boyd fights better, sure, but he will be so far behind the mounted units that he will rarely see combat. With Marcia, Jill, Tanith, Oscar, Kieran, Astrid, Makalov and promoted IKE smashing every map (with Mist for support if you choose), there isn't much for Boyd to do unless you are intentionally slowplaying. Not having a mount is a big negative because they are just so good in PoR. Oh, and it just so happens that all of these great mounts have nice supports going on with each other to make them even better. IKE (with Boots and Knight Ring) + Oscar + Kieran = unstoppable trio of destruction.

For the maps where you can field a lot of units, just use some of the better laguz or prepromotes like Stefan who require zero investment.

Chapter 17 is a four part chapter. You can pick your initial team and position, and then every section afterwards, you can summon reinforcements who appear after a few turns. Unfortunately, the maps past 17-1 don't allow you to re-position units or access their items for some strange reason.

Edited by Eselred

Titania, Oscar, Marcia, Kieran, Jill, Makalov. 6 units. Only 6 mounts before Tormod. And you act as if 8 Mov is bad. He's literally one space behind, not to mention he has strong 1-2 range. Canto can be fixed with the Knight ring. Durability is bad, but as you said yourself, you're supposed to mount smash everything before they can attack you. Also for the record, Tormod has the same mov as boots!Ike.

Titania, Oscar, Marcia, Kieran, Jill, Makalov. 6 units. Only 6 mounts before Tormod. And you act as if 8 Mov is bad. He's literally one space behind, not to mention he has strong 1-2 range. Canto can be fixed with the Knight ring. Durability is bad, but as you said yourself, you're supposed to mount smash everything before they can attack you. Also for the record, Tormod has the same mov as boots!Ike.

Boots!IKE has 9 MOV. IKE has 6 MOV and gains +1 MOV on promotion.

Tormod can't be exposed to many enemy phases, so why give him the Knight Ring? What's he going to do with all that MOV? Attack once so he doesn't get smashed since he's squishy and doesn't support with your other mounts? Heal your mounts (which Mist can already do)? He's also level 7. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pressed for BEXP in the mid-game with Marcia, Kieran, Jill, Astrid and Makalov all joining in rapid succession. Mist too if you wanted a mount healer.

How many units do you think you can field each map? Most maps are like 10-12 unless it's huge, which also means mounts are even better. If there are chests, that means deploying thieves, which further reduces your capacity. For Chapter 17, you should pretty much be done by the time reinforcements arrive, except for the Defend map.

IKE

Titiania

Oscar

Kieran

Marcia

Jill

Astrid

Makalov

Tanith

That's 9 units who should be fielded each map to maximize the smashiness, with a little room for support units (heals, thieves, etc.) depending on the map. I mean, I can see the case for Tormod I guess, but it just doesn't seem worth the investment.

Edit: Forgot about Reyson, but if you are going Mount Smash, he's going to have trouble keeping up unless he gets the Boots.

Edited by Eselred

What continues to slightly miff me is hyping up Ike yet putting down Boyd for being a foot. Are you legitimately suggesting we put Knight Ring and Boots on Ike. Really. There's this unit called Reyson that likes those things. Ike is a barely above average sword locked foot for almost 30 long chapters. Boyd boasts some of the most impressive offensive parameters in the game and combines that with unrivaled availability. 1-2 Range means you can rescue drop him somewhere and he'll pull his weight. Being force deployed is not a reason to turn Ike into a resource dump.

Also, Tormod > Ilyana because of celerity alone. 8 Mov Targeting resistance and staves. That's good. He escapes the curse of infantry. I trained and promoted Tormod. Did I ever really need him? No. But when I did deploy him for shits and giggles (when I felt like switching things up), he did really well. LTC Soren is really powerful, despite no mount. I don't even think Tormod's durability matters because enemies are not very threatening.

Edited by Ownagepuffs