Eastern/Western themed items and classes

NekoKnight

So there has been a fair amount of speculation over the trailer and what Eastern/Western themed characters and weapons we will be getting. Roman themed Paladins, Japanese themed Swordmasters... What I haven't seen as much of is people talking about what they WANT to see.

What Roman/Japanese themed classes/weapons/monsters/stages are you hoping to see? For classes, they can be purely aesthetic choices depending on the faction or brand new classes altogether.

The first new class for the eastern side I'd like to have is a shrine maiden (miko). They would use a Bow and Naginata, some of the more feminine Japanese martial arts. The base class could use just bows and the promoted class would use bows and lances.

3408da5aa19bb0586218fad677cde766_zpsidced962e2de-038f-469d-a935-5d9aaf1baae4_zps

For an Eastern theme monster, the lion-like statues that appear in front of many shrines, Komainu, would be neat.

7dbd0d070b498481890eb76f629bc188_zpsrmba

Lastly, for the Western side, a Halberdier fashioned to look like a centurion would be cool.

8de6a779-3d39-4eeb-9135-623301b27277_zps

When you said miko, I felt so obsessed with Touhou since my first thought was Reimu.

I like the concept of the Miko class, but it seems very similar to brides without staves. Hmmm...

I'd like the Miko class more than the Bride class, which just seems out of place in any setting. I think 3 weapon types is a little excessive anyway.

Bullet hell FE when?

How cool would it be if gladiator replaced hero.

Awakening Warriors already have a gladiator feel to them.

Some people have been speculating that Mercenary/Hero will be favored by the Western side and Myrmidon/Swordmaster by the Eastern side.

Oooh, I actually really like that idea for the miko class, and I think it would be a good addition for female-exclusive classes. Also, I think Hero is fine how it is.

Edited by Ambulz

Wouldn't mind seeing something exclusively Roman such as....

Praetorian Guards, like a hero/armor knight with missile resistance

roman_cohors_praetoriana.gif

Crusader Knights

Hospitallers were established to care for pilgrims. Cavalier-healer combo?

Teutonics subjugated the pagans of Eastern Europe. Great knight with light (or dark) magic?

Knight-of-Saint-John-Hospitaller.jpg

teutonic_knights_by_columbi-d33dums.jpg

Here's my proposal to IS. Have Myrmidons promote to Swordmaster and Dread Fighter. Now we have our samurai and ninja bases covered. Miko (Bow) can promote to Priestess (Bow and Lance) and Yabusame (Bow and Sword). Yabusame are Japanese mounted archers.

Yabusame2_zpsqltboxxu.jpg?t=1426085012

Also, here is a Western and Eastern Bishop.

3e1b82afad7cc5ad5c13e50d65ecc256_zpsyjfmsample-a8e5d85c0fe26aca280a707567bb46b8_

Crusader Knights

Teutonics subjugated the pagans of Eastern Europe. Great knight with light (or dark) magic?

Good ideas. I like the magic/melee hybrid classes

Edited by NekoKnight

I'd want the Eastern faction to be less based on Japan and more on China. The Eastern counterpart to the Roman Empire, after all, was the Chinese Han Dynasty. Though the West could very likely be Mediaeval Europe, in which case their opponents would most likely be based around the Arabian Caliphate. Also, in a shocking plot twist, the word is actually our world, where Rome never fell and China never got rid of the Empire (a mistake IMO) and it will be revealed that, between Roman training and Chinese numbers, the war will never end. Our heroes must use the Outrealm Gate to escape this hellish reality. Seriously, though, even if IS is from Japan, it would be serious Japan sank to think it could even come close to matching the fucking ROMAN EMPIRE.

I'd like the Miko class more than the Bride class, which just seems out of place in any setting. I think 3 weapon types is a little excessive anyway.

Bullet hell FE when?

Awakening Warriors already have a gladiator feel to them.

Some people have been speculating that Mercenary/Hero will be favored by the Western side and Myrmidon/Swordmaster by the Eastern side.

Same, though I didn't mind brides because of how silly they looked.

FE characters need to invade Gensokyo and make trouble.

Here's another idea for the West. If the East has a claim on the Pegasus (according to the trailer), the western powers can have gryphons. Gryphons feel more Greco-Roman than dragons do.

I'd want the Eastern faction to be less based on Japan and more on China. The Eastern counterpart to the Roman Empire, after all, was the Chinese Han Dynasty. Though the West could very likely be Mediaeval Europe, in which case their opponents would most likely be based around the Arabian Caliphate. Also, in a shocking plot twist, the word is actually our world, where Rome never fell and China never got rid of the Empire (a mistake IMO) and it will be revealed that, between Roman training and Chinese numbers, the war will never end. Our heroes must use the Outrealm Gate to escape this hellish reality. Seriously, though, even if IS is from Japan, it would be serious Japan sank to think it could even come close to matching the fucking ROMAN EMPIRE.

Speculation here but since "small country gets invaded by big country" is a reoccurring trope in Fire Emblem, and that historically Japan has often been on the defensive against MUCH larger powers, it would be pretty easy to write a story about Japan repelling the Roman empire. Whether it be "divine intervention" or strength of arms, it can't be said that Japan lacks tenacity. If this is an alternate reality Earth, you could justify Japan holding it's own by saying they are just fighting the fringe of the empire. It might even be more interesting that way, because if the Romans either allied or conquered part of China, it would justify having "Eastern" troops on the enemy side. All that said, it's just fantasy so they can write the powers to be as strong as they like.

I'm assuming we'll be getting some sort of samurai class cause it'd be pretty weird if they didn't. I'm guessing that it would basically be the eastern faction's counterpart to the lord class on the western side. Because of this I think it'd be cool if it class changed into a shogun class, similar to lords class changing into kings and such.

Here's another idea for the West. If the East has a claim on the Pegasus (according to the trailer), the western powers can have gryphons. Gryphons feel more Greco-Roman than dragons do.

Speculation here but since "small country gets invaded by big country" is a reoccurring trope in Fire Emblem, and that historically Japan has often been on the defensive against MUCH larger powers, it would be pretty easy to write a story about Japan repelling the Roman empire. Whether it be "divine intervention" or strength of arms, it can't be said that Japan lacks tenacity. If this is an alternate reality Earth, you could justify Japan holding it's own by saying they are just fighting the fringe of the empire. It might even be more interesting that way, because if the Romans either allied or conquered part of China, it would justify having "Eastern" troops on the enemy side. All that said, it's just fantasy so they can write the powers to be as strong as they like.

Once you get to the point where Roman troops have sieges Japanese castles, Japan has lost, plain and simple. The time for divine intervention has passed. Also, I hope they don't make the two sides lopsided. When that happens, there is a clear good guy and a clear bad guy, at least in stories. I don't want the choices to be "burn down an orphanage or give money to the homeless". That isn't interesting. Although, the East could be some mix of East Asian influences; we could have Chinese dragons fighting the Roman golems (who, by the way, are Jewish- there's some multiculturalism for the West.) Also, the China as a Roman ally idea seems cool, although it would, again, make things extremely lopsided.

Good ideas. I like the magic/melee hybrid classes

I'm thinking the whole "crusader" thing would be cool--maybe a knight with healing?

Thank you.

Given how much Japan dislikes China aside from the 3 Kingdoms setting, doubt it would happen. Not to mention, there's probably a lot more people out there who know of the samurai-ninja warrior mythos than say, Chinese military might so a game that has more Chinese influence than Japanese would definitely not sell well. Even if they do a game based on China, you're gonna have to throw gunpowder in there since that's a special part of the Chinese armies that the other kingdoms didn't have until much later.

Although I really wouldn't mind if they went with Chinese designs....Song dynasty is the best...followed by Ming dynasty.

PT4HL1b.jpg

oo6gQm4.jpg

GQsJ0aY.jpg

DObKjuJ.jpg

Edited by IGdood

Given how much Japan dislikes China aside from the 3 Kingdoms setting, doubt it would happen. Not to mention, there's probably a lot more people out there who know of the samurai-ninja warrior mythos than say, Chinese military might so a game that has more Chinese influence than Japanese would definitely not sell well. Even if they do a game based on China, you're gonna have to throw gunpowder in there since that's a special part of the Chinese armies that the other kingdoms didn't have until much later.

Although I really wouldn't mind if they went with Chinese designs....Song dynasty is the best...followed by Ming dynasty.

Eh, after seeing the trailer again, it's pretty clear that it is Japan. A shame, because for much of history China overshadowed Japan to an absolutely ridiculous extent. Also HOLY SHIT WHERE DID YOU GET THAT MOD??????

Eh, after seeing the trailer again, it's pretty clear that it is Japan. A shame, because for much of history China overshadowed Japan to an absolutely ridiculous extent. Also HOLY SHIT WHERE DID YOU GET THAT MOD??????

True....until the tables were turned in the late 19th century.

As for the mods....I'm working on translating them, you can find the untranslated downloads on TWC.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?669068-The-ImJim-War-Mod-a-mod-about-17th-Ming-Dynasty

Once you get to the point where Roman troops have sieges Japanese castles, Japan has lost, plain and simple. The time for divine intervention has passed. Also, I hope they don't make the two sides lopsided. When that happens, there is a clear good guy and a clear bad guy, at least in stories. I don't want the choices to be "burn down an orphanage or give money to the homeless". That isn't interesting. Although, the East could be some mix of East Asian influences; we could have Chinese dragons fighting the Roman golems (who, by the way, are Jewish- there's some multiculturalism for the West.) Also, the China as a Roman ally idea seems cool, although it would, again, make things extremely lopsided.

Like I said, it's a fantasy setting so it needn't be 100% historically accurate. The "divine wind" protecting Japan against mainland invaders could be literal wind magic! Imagine this scenario, the mainland eastern country has tried several times in the past to conquer the island nation but every time a protective deity (this game's Naga counterpart) would use their magic to create powerful storms. Eventually the mainland gives up on their militaristic ambitions and relations are improved between them dramatically through trade. Now that the two eastern nations are no longer warring, the protective deity goes to sleep. All is peaceful until the western power shows up and conquers part of the mainland eastern nation and sets their sights on the island nation. It would be up to the writers to throw in the moral ambiguity for each faction, but I think there is promise there. For example, without their goddess to help them, some people on the island nation have turned to darker powers to save their nation.... *insert eastern monsters here*

The weird thing about the Eastern Pegasi is, Pegasus is a Greek myth.

Whose rider was a guy but still

Indeed, the majority of Fire Emblem is western fantasy based so they're going to need to share some mythological creatures unless they plan on making a bunch new ones.

PT4HL1b.jpg

oo6gQm4.jpg

GQsJ0aY.jpg

DObKjuJ.jpg

I'm digging those Chinese armor designs. Now I'm really hoping for a Chinese faction as well as a Japanese one for the East. I should lower my expectations.

Crusader Knights

Yes! I would kill to see designs like this in a FE game or something close to it. I doubt it will happen though as it seems to take Awakening's art direction.

Yeah, I should really lower my expectations, too. The moral ambiguity could come from the White Mans Burden excuse- that is, the people of Japan really would be better off under Roman rule.

I'm digging those Chinese armor designs. Now I'm really hoping for a Chinese faction as well as a Japanese one for the East. I should lower my expectations.

Yes! I would kill to see designs like this in a FE game or something close to it. I doubt it will happen though as it seems to take Awakening's art direction.

Thanks!

Yeah, I should really lower my expectations, too. The moral ambiguity could come from the White Mans Burden excuse- that is, the people of Japan really would be better off under Roman rule.

Hmm.. maybe these guys are Japanese auxiliaries who are fed up with Roman rule and are rebelling.

Indeed, the majority of Fire Emblem is western fantasy based so they're going to need to share some mythological creatures unless they plan on making a bunch new ones.

That makes wonder though. Couldn't they just give the Eastern faction wyvern riders and the Western faction the pegasi? At least to me, dragons are a far more eastern type mythological creatures than our little winged horse.

Or are all Wyvern riders doomed to be recruited from the enemy once more?

Edited by almi23