Why is your favorite Fire Emblem game, your favorite Fire Emblem game?

Elieson

There is nothing to say about FE4 that hasn't already been said. Jugdral in general presents itself in a different way from the standard FE that just really appeals to me.

Radiant Dawn for me. I like the length, the different chapters and the characters, abd what the hell, the game was fun and the music... Well, I only remember 3 tracks, but they were awesome. My English was not as good back then so I found quite tiresome having to read through that text and I skipped it. I am going to replay it, most probably.

I also like Shadow Dragon, but I can't say why. It was my first FE so it has a certain appeal.

Now I'm playing genealogy of Holy War. I am on chapter 2, but the game has left a tood impression on me. Love the huge, lengthy maps, and the feeling of an epic battke, and seizing castles, although I can see why some people might find the maps overwhelmingly big. And the story is interesting too, so that's a plus.

I played the hell out of FE12. FE11 introduced me to the series and I loved it for the longest time until I played its sequel. I loved the exclusive characters, the fact that I could recruit all of the characters from the previous game, the support conversations really fleshed out the characters more, the DLC episodes were fun, I could finally play BS Fire Emblem, and just all the extra things that FE11 and the previous games didn't have (How's Everyone?).

I played FE6-13 to completion, and gave FE4 (the fossil) a couple chances. FE7 was my introduction to the series.

Of those games, Awakening is my favorite and imo the best. It's the only FE game with presentation and graphics I was impressed by, it presents the most choices wrt team-building, and it ditched needless mechanics. It also introduced pair-up, which leads to the only instances in which FE's all-important support system both makes sense and isn't cheesy. Additionally, I thought Awakening had the greatest build-up of momentum from chapter to chapter (linearity is a Good Thing), and it used an all-dialogue approach between chapters, which I'd been hoping for since I got into the series.

As for the writing in Awakening, I wouldn't consider any of the FE games I've played to be well-written in terms of the plot. They all have bad writing in the way 98% of video games have bad writing - not offensively bad, just either not good or barely existent (hey Tetris, u up?). I gleefully pick them apart as I play them. Or, as in the case of the Tellius games, I snarkily pick them apart, but in good fun.

lol at Jave for saying FE5 is his favorite, but listing FE10 as his favorite in his profile.

I guess my opinions have changed since then. Back when I edited my profile I hadn't played FE5 much so that game grew on me a lot.

FE10 was actually my first FE, so to me is very special. I suppose in the end it's hard for me to choose since both have so many things I love, but I'll probably do another playthrough of both before setting on a favorite for good.

FE10 or Radiant Dawn is my favorite for a number of reasons.

Great world building and ability to play as multiple armies (a feature I'm hoping to see in FE: If)

Best Character designs IMO look unique and keep personality of units but still manages to seem practical and plausible

Loved the cutscenes especially at the end of part 2.

Everything aside from a few character endings are tied together really well and some cool surprises as well.

Now close seconds

FE13: Massive re playability and some DLC is really fun and challenging as well. Pairing and marriage and child mechanics were all fun to play with and a first for me. Also presentation values bar none best in the series. Customizable avatar unit was cool too and a first as well for me. Characters are really cool too.

FE9: PoR although easy is a classic Fire Emblem through and through linear story and promotions and permadeath. Story is one of the best in the series as well showing Ike become a hero although he struggles in the beginning with the burdens of young leadership among experienced mercenaries. I also liked how supports were handled here as well simply having to use units in the same chapter to level up and base convos far better than FE7. Plus the supports themselves were awesome and reveled alot about the story.

Blazing Sword has three lords who's stories coincide eventually, making for a lengthy and fun story. I liked how cute the characters were. Florina with her shyness, Sain with his butting in with romancing, Erk being grumpy, Serra's obnoxiousness, Hector shouting a lot, etc. I love how you can actually unlock all sorts of interesting stuff in Hector mode. (which makes me feel like Hector is the real protagonist of the story rather than Eliwood.) Im pretty fond of the Bern arc. I love how the supports are written. I just..

I just love that game.

Radiant Dawn is my favourite because I feel that it has the best gameplay, a good story, a great cast and an even greater soundtrack. Also, I like how the support system allows you to support whoever you like, instead of being restricted to supporting certain pairs, like all the other games.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I like FE3 because 9 move generals.

It's just so much fun IMO to be able to totally break the game in half using a combination of statboosters, growth boosters, and careful planning. The interface is a bit clunky but that doesn't bother me, especially after playing Gaiden.

Loved the cutscenes especially at the end of part 2.

Oh yeah, that's my favorite cutscene in the game too, other than Ike vs Black Knight. One reason: badass Ike entrance. :D (seriously, he runs up, catches Lucia in his arms, then proceeds to roflstomp three guys with just one swing of his sword!)

I also forgot to mention that PoR was my first FE game, so it has a special place in my heart. Due to this, Ike is also the very first FE character I got to interact with and know a lot about, so that's yet another reason why he has a special place in my heart too.

I really like Blazing Sword because of how great its maps are (genesis being the exception huehue) and how HHM is a great difficulty, that manages to be challenging without being frustrating, and requiring strategic thought, without being easily breakable (yeah, marcus is really good, but you can't just move Marcus anywhere and expect the game to beat itself. Far from it). The rank system also adds replayability and makes even the other modes worth playing. I also love how the game looks like. It's colorful and full of charm, which makes elibe feel alive. The characters are also pretty great, and i love their backstories and supports (even though I never got those while playing, but they're still there hehe)

Edited by Nobody

7 and 9 are my faves. Played all games released outside Japan. 10, 11, and 13 disappointed me for various reasons but that's for another time.

7 more for the characters and introducing me to Florina the series. 9 because of how it presents several issues in a respectful manner as well as having fun characters.

FE5 is my favorite because despite being rushed, it has some unique elements that I really like and it was the most interesting first playthrough experience out of all the games in the series. The story put you in dire situations that you actually played instead of just having to take the developer's word for it through the text in the story... for example, Nanna's survival in chapter 5 depends on you and your option to escape in chapter 6 is complemented by the enemies to your left being too tough to deal with if you wanna keep everyone alive and if you take too long, there's a terminator showing up with capped stats ready to murder to your troops and the goddamn morable boost Cyas gives to the enemy troops when he's around and other details like Eyval's earlygame immortality playing along with the scene where he daughter's trying her best not to kill her.

The capture system allows for the most immense pool of resources available which opens up a lot of ways to go about doing your objectives or just having some fun.

Fog of War actually being Fog of War unlike the other games its in where good ol' "Mark" has vision powerful enough to tell Lyn and her comrades where a forest is available for bonus evasion or what paths may be blocked by cliffs and mountains!

The game just threw a lot of curveballs at you and when you play the game for the first time that's when it is the most interesting as you're not being babied by the the game and it results in a lot of challenges that are satisfying to complete or come up with a more optimized solution just like with the difficult games of the NES/SNES era you got excited about beating. There's quite a lot more detail I could into but I tried my best to keep this short.

Edited by Sirius

• 2 weeks later...

So far FE4. Some reasons include broken legendary weapons and not dying when losing in an arena battle. Capturing castles and defending them was also fun, particularly due to the fact that I usually failed to protect some and had to sacrifice a couple. Enemy captain people being able to reload on soldiers got me a couple times too.

FE7 for the characters.

FE13 for its replayability and crap ton of supports. The characters too, very nice. Awakening is what got me into FE and what introduced me to waifus, at the time I didn't know what a waifu was. All I knew is that I loved Sully. When I discovered the name for such a phenomenon I was very happy to strengthen my beliefs in 2D people.

FE8 was my first FE and showed me the true feeling of rage on my way to the final chapter where I lost all but three units and finished the game with only two. FE8 is what got me into Awakening.

Sword of Seals/Binding Blade (FE6).

Includes some of my favorite characters, and generally is the game I've played more times in the franchise.

I suppose it's the design of maps or merely will need a touch that I love. (Example, was the only game until recently that had female dark magicians)

Lot of reasons I like Genealogy the best. Love its soundtrack and combat animations, for example. I think it has a more interesting setting and characters than most of the series too. Mainly it comes down to gameplay. I love the unique inventory system; I probably wouldn't want it to be used again, but in this game, it works. Basically all of the game's ideas are like that - they seem super easy to mess up, but in this one case they combine to create an amazing experience. Even if some of the maps are too empty at times, I love that it gives the game a sense of scale that nothing else in Fire Emblem ever has given me, and I love figuring out various weird ways of handling any given problem. The second generation system is a lot of fun to play around with to create weird pairings, even if it is super easy to break in half. FE4 does a lot of odd things, but they add up to create a game that I have an incredible amount of fun playing, and I always like a story with compelling antagonists. Alvis and Trabant are both very interesting characters, and Manfloy may be pretty basic but he pulls off the standard evil sorceror trope a lot more impressively than most (probably because most of them, not just in this series either, wind up seeming massively incompetent whereas Manfloy actually seems like a legitimately dangerous villainous mastermind).

I love FE8 because it served as my introduction to the series. Regardless of its length and difficulty or lack thereof I feel like this game was really good for the brief 20 chapters it had. Music was way better than both of the other GBA games, plot felt real and it wasn't fake emotion surrounding the royalty of Renais and Grado. All in all, a solid game.

FE10 was another favorite of mine. It's a really cool game, best music in the series, lengthiest game (which really helps with eating away my summer), and its difficulty has a crazy span. Not always a good thing, but it really allows me to play to the level I want to, which is awesome.

Honorable mention goes to FE7, and sort of FE11.

FE7 was a great game in terms of strategy, but the whole story just felt silly. "My daddy is in trouble, come, voyage to hell on earth with me and help me save him! ...oh shit, he's dead. Sorry...uh, lets go fight dragons!" And the characters just didn't stand out to me...Hector was pretty great because he didn't follow the typical Lord behavior, but everything else just felt replaceable.

FE8 was my favorite game for a long time. Honestly, I loved the world map system, and the OPPORTUNITY to grind. People say that this made it way to easy, and that may be true, but it was purely optional. And choosing a path with either Eirka or Ephraim just felt like a great move. Each path teaches you something else about the story or the characters, and it gave it a great replay value. The characters also felt more entertaining. Joshua's revealed prince status and obsession with luck, L'arachel's childish behavior and princess status, Cormag's vengeance against his brother's murderer, Selena's undying loyalty, Lyon's kindheartedness which eventually causes all these problems...I just loved the characters and story.

FE9 was overrated to say the least. I was not fond of any of the main characters. Ike is probably the most one dimentional character ever, with literally no flaws, and a very cliched backstory. I guess he wasn't so bad, but Soren and Titiana were horribly written characters. Recruitment was a joke in that game. Hey, wanna fight with us?! > Hmm...okay! And then they never saw that character again. Though the maps and laguz were actually pretty neat. I did enjoy the challenges. And if this game did one thing right, it did a great job of symbolism with discrimination and such because it wasn't so blatently obvious, but it wasn't too hidden either.

FE10 was a mess. Seriously, I think I have PTSD from playing that game. The story was slow, confusing, and unorganized. There were plotholes everywhere, and the thematicness became way too obvious. Support conversations went to hell, and there was less character development than ever before. The maps were...challenging. Sometimes for the better, most of the time for the worse. Your units were generally way to powerful, or way to underpowered, and the shared EXP made leveling up a joke. And don't even get me started on the progressively worse story.

FE11 and FE12 were a remakes, not much to say there. Less than impressive, but not bad games by any means. The characters could've been more in-depth, but since they were originally on the NES, I can forgive that.

FE13 was awesome in my opinion. It gave the player A LOT of freedoms, which is probably why a lot of people didn't enjoy it. I personally loved the grinding potential, and the skill system abuse. The DLC was also pretty thought out. Maybe the writing wasn't the best, but it was enjoyable nonetheless (as long as you're not reading it from a critic's perspective). The maps felt less innovative than before, and the termination of weapon weight as well as the magic triangle left me slightly upset, but the amount of content was enjoyable to me. It was different, but I was willing to accept that, and it ultimately became my favorite game in the series.

Edited by Rawkstar

• 2 weeks later...

I think that each game has its good points and its bad points however, I would have to say my favorite would have to be Path of Radiance. The first thing I liked from the fact Ike was NOT a Lord, who started off in some sort of civil war or some other kind of big war with an enemy nation. I liked the background story. I feel like the story had more to it than most fantasy games. I liked how alot of the characters roles played out. It did turn into a good-guy bad-guy situation most are use to. I think that helps when the heros look like aganist the odds they have to win to the future of man-kind. The strong racism in the game helped make it more realistic. I also liked how it showed the growth of Ike through out the story.

I liked Radiant Dawn as well. However, the support system was very weak. I feel like because of that the story lost a bit to it. Their were some new characters and ideas added, that they didn't finish, which I feel could have been saved if they didn't leave out the supports. I liked how both sides were both fighting for a good cause at first and how people can change when they are forced too. Regardless of their characteristics, and nature.

I liked Awakening, however, I though the whole I killed my best friend, now I must turn evil, and came back from another world bit. I think they went a little far with that one. However, part of the reason why I like it is because of the children units. I found it very realistic with the marriage part. I liked how they didn't try to make monster units like Sacred Stones to be the Evil Guys. i just found the monsters to be some-what weak enemies. I still think they did very well on it!