Nintendo announces new console

Elibean Spaceman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/17/nx-is-nintendos-new-next-generation-hardware-system

Now that you mention it, I find it a little strange that they're announcing a new console even though the Wii U came out in 2012. Then again, the NX is probably going be released in 2017 or something.

Edited by Larverto

It's been know for years that they're working on a new console. NX is just the code-name btw (simmilar to dolphin and revolution), and not the final name.

I forgot that was the codename. Though in my mind, ain't nobody care about codenames.

I kinda hope that they follow in Amazon's footsteps, and make a Nintendo Phone. That would pioneer the future of gaming, since even Microsoft and Sony haven't put together anything of that caliber.

Just imagine a phone that played 3DS/DS games (without the 3D, so like 2DS) that you could simultaneously text and upload/share scores with like Miiverse, but better On-The-Go application. New mobilestyle games and casual things like Animal crossing and Pokemon could have entirely new data sharing dynamics. Maybe Mini-USB ports which allow controller plugins via adapters idk

I can't imagine what it'd look like...

I kinda hope that they follow in Amazon's footsteps, and make a Nintendo Phone. That would pioneer the future of gaming, since even Microsoft and Sony haven't put together anything of that caliber.

Just imagine a phone that played 3DS/DS games (without the 3D, so like 2DS) that you could simultaneously text and upload/share scores with like Miiverse, but better On-The-Go application. New mobilestyle games and casual things like Animal crossing and Pokemon could have entirely new data sharing dynamics. Maybe Mini-USB ports which allow controller plugins via adapters idk

I can't imagine what it'd look like...

I'd be cool if they add an already existing game on phones (Melee, anyone? emot-v.gif), but if they make a game exclusive to them, I'd be dissapointed, even if it's Mario or Legend of Zelda. Unless they eventually put it on consoles, of course.

The only other thing I thought of with Nintenphone would be like the Pokewalker; you do shit while on the go in a micro-environment for your specific Nintenphone game, and when you get back to your console or something, you upload what you've done in your limitted environment to the main game, which enhances the experience for the main game if it's not built into the phone/console.

IDK theorycrafting but it's just my thought that with the market in the status that it's currently in (hyper-mobile dependant), that this would be the logical direction for Nintendo to jump

From what I've heard so far, it sounds like a sort of home console, but with some new sort of gimmick or something. This could go either way. Some gimmicks (Wii) have worked out pretty well for Nintendo. Others (Wii U)....not so much. I have high hopes though

So this is some kind of mobile device thing? Sorry, but I don't like this. For one thing, I already have a phone that's perfectly fine (aside from the cracked screen) and for another, Nintendo doesn't make phones or anything of the sort. They make GAMES and game CONSOLES.

This is so ridiculous that I'm starting to think it's an early April Fool's joke.

So this is some kind of mobile device thing? Sorry, but I don't like this. For one thing, I already have a phone that's perfectly fine (aside from the cracked screen) and for another, Nintendo doesn't make phones or anything of the sort. They make GAMES and game CONSOLES.

You do realize Nintendo started as a Trading Card Company, that also did a Taxi service and at one point Love Hotels right..?

It wasn't strictly gaming until well the Game&Watch/Arcades and the NES.

Actually, I did know that. But how many years ago was that? Yeah, a lot. Nintendo's been making games and game consoles only for at least thirty years or so now and have been very successful at it. To go away from it to make phones instead would be stupid.

Actually, I did know that. But how many years ago was that? Yeah, a lot. Nintendo's been making games and game consoles only for at least thirty years or so now and have been very successful at it. To go away from it to make phones instead would be stupid.

They aren't "going away from it". They are adapting with the times. They said they'll still be making console stuff, the deal with this phone company is simply a partnership.

It's not a whole "This is only how we are going to act." Marketing doesn't work like that.

Ana, if you look at the market, where's the money going to?

People are glued to their phones. Nintendo would be wise to invest development into the Mobile marketplace. If they do it right, they'll be earning profits back, likely the majority of their losses from the Wii U mediocrity

People are glued to their phones. Nintendo would be wise to invest development into the Mobile marketplace. If they do it right, they'll be earning profits back, likely the majority of their losses from the Wii U mediocrity

As I stated a post ago, marketing is quite the beast. You have to adapt. Something Nintendo has done right AND wrong over the years. As much as I absolutely love every Nintendo console with all my heart, some decisions they've made in the past have made me go.

"Huh?", The Wii U while on a nice recovery needs a boost still (Which this year should provide considering the superb lineup). However superb lineups do not always equal good sales.

Nintendo alienated their fanbase with the Wii despite its MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE success and a good set of games. It completely alienated some of their more hardcore fans to the point they jumped ship if they hadn't already.

The Wii U was marketed confusingly when it first came around and people who did buy the Wii. Thought it was an add-on or thought (if I have a Wii why do I need a Wii U?) While the resurgance has seen some very solid games, see Smash 4, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, etc. It's reverse backlash and marketing was so BIZARRE not to mention its timing was pretty bad. Consider the 3DS which started on the wrong foot as well. The Wii U was released around the time the 3DS saw its sales just SKYROCKET. They were effectively fighting themselves in the market.

Edited by Jedi

What, already!? Isn't this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon?

I mean, there's still no Zelda WiiU or FE WiiU...

Edited by The Red Queen

@Larverto: For now I think you should change the title to "Nintendo Announces New Hardware". No one said it was a console yet. It might just be an add on or something. Like the GameCube GBA Player.

No, Nintendo would not be wise to move to the mobile market. You overestimate how many people really play those dumb-looking phone games. Playing those games adds additional costs to having the phone plan, which is already a hefty fee. I should know, as doing so uses up data on our own plan, and if we go over the data plan, we get charged more money. People want to save money, not have to spend more than they already do. Nintendo is going to make people do just that if they go and add even more to the mobile phone market.

I'll be disappointed if I find that I can no longer buy new Nintendo consoles because they're making games for phones instead. I'd no longer be able to be a fan because I'd only want to play the older stuff, which will eventually no longer have any support. I have no interest in mobile gaming. At all.