Objectives

Objectives  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see more varied mission objectives?

• Yeah! Bring it on!
    • Nay. I prefer a more straightforward battle.
    • Does it look like I care?
  2. 2. If so, what kind of objectives would you like?

• Escape, Defend, and the likes.
    • Something more simple, like Seize Throne
    • All of the above
    • None of the above
    • Other

Does it really matter though? Most players in general will just thoroughly routed the enemies for maximum EXP gain in any given situations. During Lyn's tutorial chapter on defending Dorcas's wife, instead of waiting out I just kill them all to end early. I feel like even if IS implements bunch of objectives to do, main priority for the players will be killing everything for EXPs and then whatever left. Even during the escape chapter in Awakening, I have my units to kill as much as possible. I think the stuff in Awakening are plentiful enough in a chapter.

I also don't see the point of seize, every thrones or castles that is seizable is guarded by a boss unit. You kill the boss to get to the objective to end the chapter, which is fairly redundant when there a winning condition already by just killing the boss to end the chapter.

Unless there are bonuses for achieving certain things (FE 6 did this the best by rewarding players with new maps, ending, different recruits and powerful weapons), otherwise main focus will always be killing everything for EXPs.

While it's true that players will try to get as many kills as they can, even if Rout isn't the win condition, proper map design can fix this. If it's a defend map, make the juiciest rewards difficult to acquire unless you make bold plays. If it's an escape map, make the enemy you are escaping from actually lethal.

I do agree that Seize is little different from Kill the Boss and Rout.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiki's paralogue comes a defend mission much closer tbh.

P17 is like an advanced version of C6 because the enemies don't stop to fight and just try to suicide bomb Tiki. Both are still defend chapters with a variable time limit.

its the closest awakening gets however it is still a route chapter. More over the skills on the enemies are random, which isn't all that strategic(rater its more get lucky) a true defend chapter involves barriers walls terrain and a particular objective that needs to be hidden. These maps only end by lasting out to the turn limit.

Sounds like a True Scotsman fallacy to me. The objective may be rout, but it's still clearly a defense objective. The difference from other Fire Emblem defense missions is that the enemy doesn't give up and go home after an arbitrary amount of turns (even if they're 1 turn away from winning, which just makes them look like a bunch of idiots for throwing the fight).

And no, the random skills are not a more luck than strategy (unless you rigidly just try to brute-force apply the same strategy until the enemy skillsets work with it, but then that's a problem with your skill level, not the game). If anything, it makes things more strategic because you have to actually adapt to different enemies setups each time the map is played.

I also don't see the point of seize, every thrones or castles that is seizable is guarded by a boss unit. You kill the boss to get to the objective to end the chapter, which is fairly redundant when there a winning condition already by just killing the boss to end the chapter.

The difference is that it takes an extra action where the Lord (or designated seizer) needs to be possibly exposed to enemy fire. Of course, in practice, it's typically easier, safer and more beneficial to just slaughter all the enemies around it (and the game even facilitates by this with the unlimited counterattacks system, meaning it doesn't cost anyone concerned with turns anything extra).

While it's true that players will try to get as many kills as they can, even if Rout isn't the win condition, proper map design can fix this. If it's a defend map, make the juiciest rewards difficult to acquire unless you make bold plays. If it's an escape map, make the enemy you are escaping from actually lethal.

C21 could have been this with the unreachable Mire users, but their Hit is so bad that their high Attack vs Res doesn't actually mean much (unless they have Hawkeye and only if they target something other than Robin and family).