Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked from the BBC

DodgeDusk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11493270/Jeremy-Clarkson-to-be-sacked-by-the-BBC.html

For those unaware, Jeremy Clarkson got suspended from the BBC on March 10th due a report saying that he physically assaulted a member of Top Gear's production team in a hotel after a day's filming, due to the hotel not serving hot food for the rest of the day. Full details are in the link above

I wouldn't be surprised if Top Gear ended because of this. Or, to be more precise, the Top Gear people currently know. I'm not a huge fan of Clarkson, but I do think he has his moments. Saying that, his actions here are inexcusable, in my opinion

I wasn't sure if this should have been posted in General or Entertainment. I decided on the latter since this has affected what is arguably one of, if not the most-viewed entertainment show on television. Apologies if it's in the wrong sub-forum

EDIT: Made the title more accurate

Edited by DodgeDusk

TBH, Clarkson's type of humour was dated. I liked Top Gear best when they did car analysis, but whenever they went on trips, they (especially Clarkson) would make derogatory remarks about the places they've been in. There's also the fact Clarkson's staunch nationalism gets boring really quick if you're not British/don't support Britain.

The Falklands/Malvinas thing was very bad. It's like going to one of the most patriotic places in the US and taunting Americans for the Vietnam War. You just don't do that.

I don't see James May and Richard Hammond following Clarkson, though. Hammond does a lot more at the BBC than co-presenting Top Gear, for example.

I mean, he was a good entertainer (and Top Gear's a money-printing machine), but he drunkenly king-hit a producer. He was never gonna get back from that.

Wouldn't be too surprised if Top Gear's guys set up a basically identical show under another name and another broadcaster, but it just wouldn't be the same. I think Top Gear UK (dunno about the spin-offs) is done for sure, though.

Edited by Parrhesia

The Falklands/Malvinas thing was very bad. It's like going to one of the most patriotic places in the US and taunting Americans for the Vietnam War. You just don't do that.

they did go into the bible belt and spray paint homoerotic and antireligious phrases on each others' cars. granted, that episode was hilarious.

Edited by dondon151

RIP, the best entertainment show, in the wuuurld.

Truly depressing.

There is a glimmer of hope in this news story, though: http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-03-24/bbc-still-deciding-jeremy-clarksons-fate/

If this falls through though, there is a chance Clarkson could go and work with Netflix. If Hammond and May followed, they could potentially make their own car entertainment program.

Edited by Raven

Honestly, I'm really just surprised it took him this long to punch someone in the mouth.

Top Gear is probably done for, but honestly accidentally letting the Indestructible Four-by-Four get washed out with the tide was probably the high point anyway.

(Like Cerberus said, Hammond does his fair share of other BBC stuff, and May does on occasion too. Or was the big gay wine adventure on another channel? I forget.)

Edited by Emmar

TBH, Clarkson's type of humour was dated. I liked Top Gear best when they did car analysis, but whenever they went on trips, they (especially Clarkson) would make derogatory remarks about the places they've been in. There's also the fact Clarkson's staunch nationalism gets boring really quick if you're not British/don't support Britain.

I don't see James May and Richard Hammond following Clarkson, though. Hammond does a lot more at the BBC than co-presenting Top Gear, for example.

He taunted Americans for the Vietnam War? I didnt know he is that awesome!

I think Clarkson being a massive wanker is kind of the point of Top Gear. He's the snarky glue that keeps everything together, Hammond and May are only entertaining because of how Clarkson plays off them. May is bland and dorky, Hammond is hyperidealistic and modern, both are only actually endearing due to the contrast of Clarkson's cynical middle ground where he can mock them for it. It's like doing a comedy sketch without the straight man basically, except the straight man is a twat as well (but you get my point).

This however, leads to the inevitable reality that massive wankers will continue to act like massive wankers off the set. If they ever do find someone to replace Clarkson, the same thing will inevitably happen unless the new guy just manufactures his wankery, which won't be as convincing, so it won't be as amusing.

tl;dr - wankers on tv can be a laugh but employing them is a peril in itself

The people who assaulted the TG crew in the Falklands misinterpreted a car's fucking license plate and decided they want blood for it. I'm pretty sure a majority of the attackers didn't even know why they were attacking the crew aside from the fact that they were British. Completely fucking ridiculous.

Edit: Also update: https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/580668592448016385

Jeremy Clarkson himself hasn't heard a thing amid all these sacking reports. I'm still hopeful something can be done.

Edited by Raven

The people who assaulted the TG crew in the Falklands misinterpreted a car's fucking license plate and decided they want blood for it. I'm pretty sure a majority of the attackers didn't even know why they were attacking the crew aside from the fact that they were British. Completely fucking ridiculous.

Oh trust me, they know. The Malvinas defeat was very painful to the Argentinians.

And I don't believe one bit the BBC's version that it was just a coincidence. I'm not that stupid.

Oh trust me, they know. The Malvinas defeat was very painful to the Argentinians.

And I don't believe one bit the BBC's version that it was just a coincidence. I'm not that stupid.

Hey look, that licence plate slightly references a date/place where Britain fucked us sideways after we initiated a war with them. Let's murder them.

Fucking crazy bastards. You cannot defend their actions.

it was bound to happen. he's an asshole. too bad, though

Hey look, that licence plate slightly references a date/place where Britain fucked us sideways after we initiated a war with them. Let's murder them.

Fucking crazy bastards. You cannot defend their actions.

please don't speak about issues you don't know anything about

It's entirely possible that another network will create a similar show with Clarkson, the concept's too popular to not try and remilk. There's a lot of British humour the trio produce that's lost on the rest of the world, I can't think of many Brits who actually watch it for the cars.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll come out of the closet and say I love TG.

BBC HD aired a Top Fails episode here and it showed the rednecks bullying Clarkson and co. for provoking them. It was pretty wild.

Apparently Hammond left TG too. They'll probably reunite somewhere else, and BBC's attempt to continue TG without them will fail.

I know both May and Hammond have stated he will not continue presenting Top Gear without Clarkson.

And it's not a bad thing to love TG. It's a hugely popular show simply because of the three presenters and their shenanigans, so it's no surprise this whole thing has caused a shitstorm.

• 2 weeks later...

I know both May and Hammond have stated he will not continue presenting Top Gear without Clarkson.

And it's not a bad thing to love TG. It's a hugely popular show simply because of the three presenters and their shenanigans, so it's no surprise this whole thing has caused a shitstorm.

The thing is that Clarkson is a conservative and the world is becoming more and more allergic to politically incorrect humour, at least in certain circles.

But I love TG for the fluff it is.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing is that Clarkson is a conservative and the world is becoming more and more allergic to politically incorrect humour, at least in certain circles.

This is a bad thing, if it is indeed true.

People in positions of power are obviously going to react to some things though if it concerns them because Top Gear has such a massive global fanbase/influence, and anything said on TG - whether it's intended as a joke or not - could actually be taken seriously by some people.