Fate of Fire

Toa

This is Fate of Fire, my hacking project that I've been working on and off on for a few months. I've done 4ish chapters, but they're really mostly just framework with a lot of glitches and missing dialogue.

What's Planned:

FoF will be pretty short, ~15 chapters with only 21 playable characters I lied it's fucking huge.

New Maps!

New Stories!

New Characters!

New Weapons!

New... you get the idea.

Plot:

In the year 683, the Phoencian Empire invaded and annexed the Ithacan peninsula. In the agreement that ended the war, the Phoencian Emperor, Navar, agreed to allow the Ithacans to rule in their own way as long as they still answered to the call of the Empire. Navar died in 711, leaving the Empire to his sickly son, Vertuse. Vertuse was a largely ineffective ruler, losing Phoencia huge swaths of territory to the neighboring military giant of Tiberia. In 747, Vertuse would pass away, leaving the empire to his two sons, Noctus and Naethen. Noctus, as the eldest son, was given control of the mainland Phoencia, while Naethen was given control of Ithaca. Noctus was a calm and sage ruler, but his brother was far more tempered, and wished to prove his worth to the Imperial subjects as well as fix his father’s failures in the field of battle. He began to take more and more power from the Ithacan government.

In 749, tensions reached a new high when the heir princess, Leto was arrested and slated to be executed as a display of total Phoencian power. This display of brutality would be the spark needed to light the fire of the Ithacan rebellion.

[spoiler=screenshots]

8o9dsbD.pnglxwfG3J.png36x5BfD.pngWrh47LT.png9OYMUht.pngU6MRjST.pngRYlQldx.pngE89a9a2.pngEGiKdBV.png

Big shout outs to eventiel, feditor, nightmare, event assembler, and all the other programs that make hacking so easy!

Edited by Toa

Looks cool, does it take place on Earth or is Phonecia based on Phoenicia?

P.S. So umm sorry to be that guy but you're placing this tile backwards: 97aba4366795ae2b93192c615500bea8.png

644a999f480597e38384859e293a1647.png

Edited by Matt Snow

@Ghast: All the hacks

@Matt It takes place on a fictional world, I'm fixing up my map to have a little more detail as we speak. Most names have been ripped off of Mediterranean locations.

That tile is blowing my mind right now, I never saw it facing the other way at all O.o Time to fix some cliffs.

@SHF23 Which portraits? I'm going to make some changes to the shamaness, but I thought the other ones were pretty good quality. Might also change which direction Perseus is looking, but eh.

Edited by Toa

@SHF23 Which portraits? I'm going to make some changes to the shamaness, but I thought the other ones were pretty good quality. Might also change which direction Perseus is looking, but eh.

That's SHF25 to you, buster!

I was referring to all of them; It's something I can't really describe on my own, because I'm not really that versed in spriting or ROM hacking in general. My advice, however, is look at some other hacks' portraits for some comparison. If they don't look very visually appealing, some people are going to stick their nose up at it right away. Just look at what happened to the early days of Decay of the Fangs. So many people ended up complaining that the original creator lost interest. I'm sorry if I sounded rude, I'm just trying to help.

It's mostly your heads, and your shading

A lot of your heads are misshapen.

And some of your shading is chunky.

They're alright overall, but they definitely still need work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like complete shit Amazing work, though I'd work on fixing portraits. Also, I'd try to change the names to something more relative to the area but still, it's a fictional world. For All I know there could be a knight named "Muffin" If you need any beta testers, I'm all in

@Matt: All the player names are Greek except for Ethan, which I should probably change... Maybe Ethanus :P Phoencian names are like 90% made up though. Portraits will probably be fixed... eventually. I'll def make some changes to Icarus and maybe polish up some others, but I'm mostly in story mode right now, as I think the sprites are at least ok

@Willie: I have some off-serenes friends who I'll probably recruit to beta test, but I'll shoot you a PM if I need more.

@Matt: All the player names are Greek except for Ethan, which I should probably change... Maybe Ethanus :P Phoencian names are like 90% made up though. Portraits will probably be fixed... eventually. I'll def make some changes to Icarus and maybe polish up some others, but I'm mostly in story mode right now, as I think the sprites are at least ok

1. Oh yeah, I just realized that xD

2. Honestly, the portraits are fine in my opinion, considering I can't make a legitimate portrait by myself period xD

The only problem I see is that the character portraits are a bit cartoonish, but seeing how its not even completely made yet I'll just say its looks pretty good so far and I look forward to its release

• 2 weeks later...

yNQSnQs.png

School is over so it's time to work on hacking! Yay! First things first Ethan has been renamed to the more Greek (and thus more appropriate) Aeneas. I also learned how to properly display chapter goals so one step closer to being presentable. In fact, the pictured chapter (3) is very nearly complete! Except for music because I suck.

CBewUl8.png

Besides fixing bugs and stuff, I've also been working on THIS! Choices are in this game! Except the game doesn't want to let me make these things textboxes/scrolls and so I guess it's just Aeneas talking to himself for now.

Edited by Toa

yNQSnQs.png

School is over so it's time to work on hacking! Yay! First things first Ethan has been renamed to the more Greek (and thus more appropriate) Aeneas. I also learned how to properly display chapter goals so one step closer to being presentable. In fact, the pictured chapter (3) is very nearly complete! Except for music because I suck.

CBewUl8.png

Besides fixing bugs and stuff, I've also been working on THIS! Choices are in this game! Except the game doesn't want to let me make these things textboxes/scrolls and so I guess it's just Aeneas talking to himself for now.

I'm also getting to the point where I need some help. If you're good at mapping or eventing or really anything PM me or add me on skype and we can talk about stuff.

Toa! I can try to help you with eventing if you're doing some basic stuff. This hack looks p cool still!

keegan_25 is ma skype! I'm usually on regularly so hit me up!

loving the choice thing, excited to see ittt

• 2 months later...

CHARACTER PROFILE: Aeneas

hdq17C8.png

Aeneas is the young protagonist of this story. Grand ideals have not yet taken hold of his mind, he is impressionable and still developing.

Backstory:

Aeneas was not born into royalty, but was brought in to become the Sword Baron of the Sun, the protector of the legendary blade Sol, at a young age. He was raised among nobles, but was not treated any differently from the others around him. He lived a peaceful life until Naethen came to power. With the tyrannical Naethen in charge, rebellions began to crop up, and the Sword Barons were summoned to put them down. Aeneas would soon be caught between rebel pleas for aid and his noble ties. But this is one matter in which fate may not wait for him to make his own decision...

GLp1T1P.png

Aeneas is a swordsman of unique talent. His upbringing within Ithacan royalty trained his natural skills with the blade even further, making him into a formidable opponent for any who challenge him.

ZC4BjS6.png

Aeneas is the main decision maker among his starting allies. Though he uses their guidance to consult on the pros and cons of each decision, the final say in most matters are left to him.

Aeneas is young. Despite this, he stands in the middle of a grand conflict, the key to success or failure. He walks a path along the precipice of fate, a single wrong step could send him tumbling down to disaster, but carefully placed steps may lead him to great glory. The choices he makes at this point will influence the outcome of a war, a country, perhaps the world.

So, what choices will he make? What will he fight for?

a9yQA9v.pngTj0FGM6.pngZ5T8afe.png

Edited by Toa

• 2 weeks later...

U9IVWlP.png

CHARACTER PROFILE: Ajax

Ajax is a leader of one of the many budding rebellions during the events of Fate of Fire. He is calculated and effective in his methods, whatever they may be.

Backstory:

Ajax is an Ithacan native, but unlike Aeneas has no ties to royal authority or any governmental power at all. He was born to a poor farming family along the western border of Ithaca. He spent his youth working his father's fields, but eventually grew bored of that life and looked for greater things. As a young man, he set out into the Badlands where he operated for some years and became a marauder of some infamy. He sees opportunity everywhere, and turmoil in his homeland is no exception. Ajax has returned to the Ithacan peninsula for a chance at greatness, and will do whatever he can to get there.

5sMv5wa.png

Ajax uses axes in combat, a weapon he became adept at using in the Badlands. He is extremely strong, able to crush his enemies in a single blow.

YPX80JY.png

Ajax can be a valuable consultant to Aeneas if he chooses to take his advice into account. Ajax's decisions are rarely limited by emotions and morals, allowing him to suggest ideas that others would shy away from.

Ajax is clever. He is effective. He gets results. Will he be the one to guide Aeneas on a path to victory?

Will you join Ajax?