The Genius of Two Versions

TheCaptain

Like I said, $60 is a regular 3DS release in Australia. I know most people don't have that money to spare but as for base prices of one game + the other, it isn't...y'know...that much? If we are potentially getting 180% game for a slightly upped prince (probably around $70-$80 for AU) I'm game.

Well if we take what the website says at a glance that both games contain roughly the same amount of content as a awakening, it means that there are 6 shared chapters of game between 41 chapters per version which amounts to potentially 75 unique chapters in total. The maximum amount of chapters in awakening was 73....for $85.50 USD...yeah the DLC wasn't very well priced (still bought it all lol). Add in the third DLC path for IF and the price becomes $80 USD for 110 potential chapters which vastly outstrips every FE game period and becomes a BETTER value the more content you buy that is we're strictly talking a chapter to dollar ratio. This is also my reasoning that Nintendo should just cut to the chase in other regions and just give us one version with both paths for the combined price point since its ultimately a better deal for the consumer.

Also I think they're doing this weird DLC strat is to get more money out of the $20 path as if it were part of the physical product as $60, it wouldn't be as profitable (digital is generally more profitable than Physical). Ultimately, they planned for this game to have a combined price point from the beginning, the reason its this way is to maximize the profitability while keeping the intended price point.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if we take what the website says at a glance that both games contain roughly the same amount of content as a awakening, it means that there are 6 shared chapters of game between 41 chapters per version which amounts to potentially 75 unique chapters in total. The maximum amount of chapters in awakening was 73....for $85.50 USD...yeah the DLC wasn't very well priced (still bought it all lol). Add in the third DLC path for IF and the price becomes $80 USD for 110 potential chapters which vastly outstrips every FE game period and becomes a BETTER value the more content you buy that is we're strictly talking a chapter to dollar ratio. This is also my reasoning that Nintendo should just cut to the chase in other regions and just give us one version with both paths for the combined price point since its ultimately a better deal for the consumer.

Also I think they're doing this weird DLC strat is to get more money out of the $20 path as if it were part of the physical product as $60, it wouldn't be as profitable (digital is generally more profitable than Physical). Ultimately, they planned for this game to have a combined price point from the beginning, the reason its this way is to maximize the profitability while keeping the intended price point.

What I'm concerned about is them taking the chapter count BEFORE paralogues are added in. "26 chapters per version, just as much as Awakening!"

What I'm concerned about is them taking the chapter count BEFORE paralogues are added in. "26 chapters per version, just as much as Awakening!"

Wouldn't this kinda defeat the point of a world map on the hoshido side if there are no paralogues? Even still that's a bit of a stretch to call, especially since the website mentions the "same amount of content" as awakening and not "same amount of story as awakening". This implies that paralogues in the vanilla version of awakening aka no free dlc added (which they also could do for this game as well), were also taken into account.

paralogues accessed in awakening's fashion are essentially entirely new; other world maps in FE have not had them

paralogues accessed in awakening's fashion are essentially entirely new; other world maps in FE have not had them

What's your opinion on the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins? They were both added to the map during the main game, had no impact on the story, and sometimes netted extra characters.

What's your opinion on the Tower of Valni/Lagdou Ruins? They were both added to the map during the main game, had no impact on the story, and sometimes netted extra characters.

I would consider their characters more akin to the spotpass fighters, and their maps more like the DLC maps, as they're both entirely irrelevant to the story and infinitely repeatable.

Gaidens such as the Magic Seal maps, or FE6's legendary weapon acquisition maps, I feel are closer to being analogous to FE13's Paralogues.

Possibly a better comparison would be FE7's E16x/H17x, as that's an optional map that connects to the main story, and you recruit an optional character.

However these are all maps that you get access to at a specific point in the game, due to the linear nature of most FEs - there are no perfect analogues to the Paralogues (that I can think of).

I would consider their characters more akin to the spotpass fighters, and their maps more like the DLC maps, as they're both entirely irrelevant to the story and infinitely repeatable.

Gaidens such as the Magic Seal maps, or FE6's legendary weapon acquisition maps, I feel are closer to being analogous to FE13's Paralogues.

Possibly a better comparison would be FE7's E16x/H17x, as that's an optional map that connects to the main story, and you recruit an optional character.

However these are all maps that you get access to at a specific point in the game, due to the linear nature of most FEs - there are no perfect analogues to the Paralogues (that I can think of).

Interesting, thanks~!

I think having gaiden chapters is great, and wouldn't mind if it were added to the overall content count (especially if it drives a wedge between the two games further). However, I didn't like the fact that Awakening's Paralogues could be done out of order. Perhaps having some paralogues with a condition "must pass X main game chapter and Y paralogue chapter" would make a bit more sense.

In terms of content, I'd be happy if there were, say, 15 well-executed chapters with very distinct objectives (seize, defend, defeat X unit, escape, etc.). While Awakening did have quite a few chapters, it was either kill everything or kill this one unit over there, and the latter was an exercise in whether or not I could pull it off in one turn.

Wouldn't this kinda defeat the point of a world map on the hoshido side if there are no paralogues? Even still that's a bit of a stretch to call, especially since the website mentions the "same amount of content" as awakening and not "same amount of story as awakening". This implies that paralogues in the vanilla version of awakening aka no free dlc added (which they also could do for this game as well), were also taken into account.

It's industry speak so they can say a lot of things that are very technically true, from a certain point of view, and hype a game's content more than it really deserves. Paralogues could be interpreted as "not part of the core game because you can skip them". Do the spotpass paralogues count because they need to be downloaded?

I'll be the happiest camper if my suspicions prove incorrect but the game split has me thinking they're try to pull a fast one on uninformed customers.

gaidens would be great imo

especially if there were actual conditions required to unlock them, not just "play matchmaker -> unlock paralogue -> recruit kid"

Nohr seems like it could be promising in that regard, since it'll be a linear progression, and so you can't even do FE13-style paralogues

gaidens are definitely something I've been missing a lot

gaidens would be great imo

especially if there were actual conditions required to unlock them, not just "play matchmaker -> unlock paralogue -> recruit kid"

Nohr seems like it could be promising in that regard, since it'll be a linear progression, and so you can't even do FE13-style paralogues

gaidens are definitely something I've been missing a lot

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53008&page=1

Speaking of Gaiden's I've got a little theory I hope IS goes with.

According to what I've seen, NA is only getting one path(probably Hoshido), with the other as DLC only....

You get to choose (The NA trailer even says), plus we are likely getting the "both" special edition.

Edited by Jedi

You know what, just ignore what I said in the first place.

Quick note for future reference: If you're going to cite something-or-other, we'd really like a link. Perhaps it's legit, perhaps it's not, and it would be really cool if it turns out to be the former.

Quick note for future reference: If you're going to cite something-or-other, we'd really like a link. Perhaps it's legit, perhaps it's not, and it would be really cool if it turns out to be the former.

I've read what he's probably cited. It's a tweet by some RPG website with no evidence or any sign of an official source.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/583415770744393729

It has been retweeted over 1000 times so it's likely spread to the point people are taking it as fact when it's likely baseless misinformation.

Edited by arvilino

My primary concern is that it'll alienate potential newcomers, either due to confusion or that it'll be seen as a rip-off regardless of arguments. Hell, I only picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening because I had heard it was pretty good; had there been two different versions, I might've picked some other game.

My primary concern is that it'll alienate potential newcomers, either due to confusion or that it'll be seen as a rip-off regardless of arguments. Hell, I only picked up Fire Emblem: Awakening because I had heard it was pretty good; had there been two different versions, I might've picked some other game.

It would seem, by that logic, that Nintendo is probably going to release the "dual" version to the US, as Japan is used to the version split....whereas most people in the US aren't that much. Which is what I hope they do. Less moneys for me to spend :D

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

It would seem, by that logic, that Nintendo is probably going to release the "dual" version to the US, as Japan is used to the version split....whereas most people in the US aren't that much. Which is what I hope they do. Less moneys for me to spend :D

And of course, by that logic, there are no potential newcomers in Japan who aren't very used to the gaming industry. Besides, the fear of two versions here in the west has already deflated the hype quite a bit, which might be irreparable damage even if we get a version containing both sides.

And of course, by that logic, there are no potential newcomers in Japan who aren't very used to the gaming industry. Besides, the fear of two versions here in the west has already deflated the hype quite a bit, which might be irreparable damage even if we get a version containing both sides.

nintendo should give us all 3 paths to compensate

I doubt that's something newcomers to the series will be too worried about compare to whether the games are good, not or appealing. In fact I think the only thing that would turn off newcomers about two versions of the game is the word of people who played the series crying "rip off!" before they actually know what is actually in each version and in contrary to what the only official source says about the game.

The ideas each version is "Half a Fire Emblem game for full price" or "You need all 2(or 3) versions for the full experience" are being pushed or assumed about without any clue or indicator whether they're actually true or not. I mean what happens if each campaign is bursting at the seams with content and each campaign is a full, different experience yet the game keeps the reputation gained from people complaining about what they only assume an unreleased game is going to be like?

Edited by arvilino

I've read what he's probably cited. It's a tweet by some RPG website with no evidence or any sign of an official source.

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/583415770744393729

It has been retweeted over 1000 times so it's likely spread to the point people are taking it as fact when it's likely baseless misinformation.

I'll. . .reserve my opinion of them. Thanks for the link!

Looks like we'll need to wait for the Japanese release, unless Nintendo wants to release a few more tidbits of info before the game's out in Japan.